cds on Ebay from Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by spanky1, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was recently searching for a new cd on ebay and ran across several from Hong Kong. The listing was stock information(label, track list, etc).

I've bought a lot of cds on ebay through the years, but I've never seen them from Hong Kong. What's the story here? Are these legit or bootlegs?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I see quite a few Audio Fidelity Gold CDs from one seller in Hong Kong. He has good feedback, but all the titles he sells are OOP, but not the extremely rare ones like Laura Nyro, Judas Priest, etc. Something seems fishy to me.

3. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Because there never are bootlegs sold via US sellers? Will you ask the same questions about Mexican editions and the Russian Federation? lol..I mean, what kind of answer do you expect here? Link an auction rather than expect a generic answer that will not be accurate for all sellers..!!

4. spanky1

Good grief! Why don't you settle down a bit?

Would it make you feel better if I asked a question about Mexico, Russia, Lithuania, Egypt? Don't read anything into it that wasn't there. There are thousands of items that can be found through Hong Kong buyers that are a fraction of the price of the US version. Whether it be car parts, audio cable, or any number of items. Cds are a bit different(in my mind anyway). I can see how some items can be made with inferior quality, therefore a much lower cost. However, cds are pretty cheap anyway, so I was wondering if legitimate cds were commonly less expensive coming from Hong Kong? Are they the same retail version sold here, or are they cheap copies?

I was looking at the Mark Knopfler TRACKER (deluxe edition) cd. There are China and Hong Kong sellers that have it for a little over $7 with free shipping. I suspect that this isn't the only title that I could use as an example.

If it would make you more comfortable, let me rephrase the question. Can I expect a legitimate retail version of a cd if I buy it from China/Hong Kong, or is there a overwhelming likelyhood that it is bogus? I've bought hundreds of cds on ebay, but never from China/Hong Kong. I do know that manufactured goods are often subpar quality.

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I've never had a problem with a Hong Kong seller:cheers:

spanky1 likes this.
  6. spanky1

Thanks Dennis.

7. FastForward

Ah, you don't get that no matter how you rephrase it, it's still a tainted question. See, stereotyping an entire country for the actions of a few citizens never works well. Again, link an auction, preferably one with pictures, and the experts here would be happy to assist you with opinions.

8. spanky1

Obviously it wasn't too tainted for Dennis, or his reading comprehension is vastly superior to yours. Perhaps, you are the one stereotyping an entire country.

Don't read anything into the question that isn't there. The background of the question is simple: many goods are sold on ebay from foreign countries. Oftentimes, these are inferior products. If, and I say IF, I had made a comment such as "typical Chinese knock-off", or "typical Hong Kong counterfeit", then you could have accused me of stereotyping.

If you don't feel comfortable answering the question, then simply read over it, and go on. I don't need your scolding tone, and I certainly don't need a lesson in politcal correctness from someone who has, seemingly, made himself the self-appointed forum watchdog.

9. FastForward

Scolding tone? Add hypocrisy to the discussion, lol!!

You don't get what I'm saying- I'm simply asking you to link an auction here so we can see what you're talking about, rather than call into question every item sold from a foreign country. Fakes come from everywhere, and unless you have evidence otherwise, they no more come from China than anywhere else. Since Western Music is heavily censored in China, it would seem to appear that specific releases might indeed be copies, as they would have no official release there. Spin it all you will, but your question, to my reading comprehension ability as you state, seems to indicate than there are many lower priced fake CDs coming out of China/Hong Kong. In your original post, you indicate you've never seen a CD being sold from Hong Kong before, so it could be "legit or a bootleg." Why would it be a bootleg if you had no predisposition in your mind as to country of origin? Let's at least be honest here- that's what is on your mind, in your original question, right? You've never seen a Hong Kong CD being sold before, so the first thing that comes to your mind is if it's real or a bootleg, especially if it's cheaper than other editions. Do you do that with US CDs, or UK CDs?

Sincerely,

Self-Appointed Forum Watchdog

10. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Dear Watchdog.

I don't buy CDs from China (or Russia) because as far as I'm concerned there are more fakes made there.

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

At least you're arguing. This is definitely worth getting upset over. :rolleyes:

This could have been a good thread. Thanks.

12. FastForward

And I'm sure your opinion is based totally on fact, not on some sort of preconceived prejudice, correct?

Nah, it never would have been a "good thread." If I hadn't thrown a little controversy into it, it would have died a week ago....

13. spanky1

I thought it might produce some useful discussion, and it was a, seemingly, innocuous question. I'll never understand why some have the inability to skip past a thread rather than to thread-crap it. SOme are just miserable like that, I guess.

14. FastForward

Do you understand my point? Did it make you think? Then we have achieved some "useful discussion". Carry on.

15. spanky1

Oh yeah, it made me think. It made my think-"why are some people so obtuse"? I suppose that's not what you were hoping to achieve?

16. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

So are these CDs legit or what?

:-popcorn:

17. FastForward

A) I don't think you know what "obtuse" means.

B) I'm glad it made you think. Mission accomplished.

Could you please post a link to an auction containing the CD in question? Otherwise, you might be accused of being obtuse or a forum watchdog.

18. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

As much as I need yes thanks.

19. spanky1

:blah:

A-Yes I do. I'm sure the term zipped past you, so I'll post the definition from Mirriam-Webster: OBTUSE-lacking sharpness or quickness of sensibility or intellect : insensitive, stupid
    B-It made me think that you should have read past this thread since you, obviously, have nothing of value to add.

And, no, I won't link an auction because I have no interest in playing with you any longer, I'm done. I don't really care what you think anyway, so I'll not be adding a link for you.

20. FastForward

A) So I was correct, you didn't know what "obtuse" meant- had to look it up, eh? So you've learned EVEN MORE from this discussion! Great!!

B) No, don't undervalue what you gleaned from this thread, it's important to personal growth. Seeing as you see nothing wrong with posting what could be racially insensitive material, anything you get out of my few, simple posts is a step forward. Congratulations!

21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Years ago I bought a few SACDs from a Hong Kong seller.
    Talk Talk's Colour Of Spring and Spirit of Eden.
    And Roxy Music's Avalon.

For about $19.00 each.

They look genuine and sound great. Could they be boots?

22. FastForward

See how the initial post can be harmful NOW?

23. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

The last time I went to Hong Kong I found a number of hard to find DCC and MFSL gold CDs. I did even better in Singapore. All were legit.

24. spanky1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.