I just found a vintage Le-Bo LP cleaner brush at the thrift shop, in excellent condition

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ParloFax, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

Only problem is I don't know how the heck to use it! I am familiar only with the carbon fiber Audioquest "broom" type, and this is the plush, velvety type.

For a start, since this is from an unknown previous owner, I suppose I should clean it by letting it soak overnight in something or other... What should I use for this step: alcohol? distilled water?...

And would you guys use it wet (like the old instructions recommend) or dry?... And what is that little rectangular "nail file" thingy, something to clean the brush with?

It looks like a well manufactured product. Mine is the green, made in Japan version.

2. ParloFax

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think if this were considered a good way to clean records it would still be made in some form.

4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I have one of these and still use it.
    I'm not sure what the magnetic part of it does I just know it removes the dust and doesn't
    scratch my records.

5. ParloFax

Thanks. Do you recommend dry or wet?

6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I use it dry, I clean my records on a rcm. I use it for dust and it does a good job.
    I have used it wet in the past and it doesn't hurt it but I don't see the point as it doesn't pick up dust as well when wet.

ParloFax likes this.
  7. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

I have that brush, and it's the best plush brush that I have ever used (wet: 50/50 distilled water and alcohol).

ParloFax likes this.
  8. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

You would be just as well off with a lint-free cotton cloth and some purified water. All you're doing is a surface wiping of the vinyl and grinding the remainder of the dirt into the grooves. These are no better than the bargain basement Disc Washer brushes. This is not an effective record cleaning system, though it will offer some minimal benefit of course. For dusting the surface of your vinyl, I believe that a carbon fiber brush or a can of additive-free compressed air is a safer and more effective alternative.

ParloFax likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How DARE you call the DiscWasher "bargain basement," sir! I happend to own three of them and they are the finest vinyl implements known to man! (and they're pretty cheap).

10. The Seeker

No offense meant, kind sir. This is just my humble opinion and I happen not to like them. That's all. Please do not take it personally.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was being factious. But I do swear by them.

The Seeker likes this.
  12. The Seeker

Oh, okay. Well that's a relief. I would hate to have upset you.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The "good" Discwasher brushes with the unidirectional fabric are great (dry) for removing dust and debris from a properly cleaned record. They do NOT grind the remainder of the dirt (whatever that means) into the grooves when utilized for this purpose.

I wouldn't use them as a wet cleaner though...nor would I utilize the product being discussed in this thread for that purpose.

ParloFax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.