What do think is the value of this ebay CD collection? (843 items)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by johnnybrum, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just for fun, what does everybody think this collection would be worth? All the titles are listed...

LARGE COLLECTION OF CD SINGLES, ALBUMS, PROMOS, LIMITED EDITIONS AND RARITIES.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-COL...713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item235191b821

I find it hard to believe that it's worth anything like £1200.....It seems to be mainly 90s club/dance CD singles... I'm tempted to use words like 'landfill' but who knows? Maybe there's something amazing lurking in there...It looks similar to the shelves in my local charity shops...

I'd say £100 :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Like all of our collections it's either priceless personally or worth what someone wants to pay for it.

stereoptic, ARK and Malina like this.
  3. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Yuch. Not my cup of tea. Singles on CD are so...useless.

4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

OK so we are talking about 843 CDs at a total of 1200 British pounds or around $1900. So if I divide $1900 by 843 I get $2.13 per CD. So we see the dire straits of the CD market right off the bat. Second, someone wants $2 for each of their CDs and the SHF is making fun of him/her.

5. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

The dire straits of the cd market if you're selling junk. I could get $1900.00 for 10 cd's in my collection. That's doesn't prove anything in regard to the cd market either.

6. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I dunno if it's worth the £1,200.00 they're asking, but there are some gems in there. I've been into collecting '90s electronic and dance CDs for years and if this was a bin at a record / CD fair I'd probably be plucking items out of this one quite a bit. You do have to sort the wheat from the chaff, but if I didn't already have them, the collections of Underworld, Primal Scream and Leftfield CD singles would catch my eye. There is definitely a value to those '90s CD singles, as many of them feature music (rare re-works by soon-to-be prominent remixes, B-sides, etc.) completely unavailable elsewhere on CD. Plus, many of these CD singles appear to pre-date the change in UK chart rules that limited the number of tracks on a chart-eligible single, putting some of these singles at well over album lengths. Moreover, a pretty comprehensive collection of the mid-90s Mixmag and Muzik Magazine CD compilations would certainly be interesting to someone, as many of these featured otherwise exclusive DJ mixes by up-and-coming electronic artists & DJs that have since made names for themselves.

If someone with £1,200.00 to burn wanted to have a complete and instant primer on mid-to-late '90s club music, this wouldn't necessarily be a bad place to start. Taken as a whole, it's certainly worth more than £100.00 and definitely not landfill.

starfieldroad, phish and Mylene like this.
  7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Odd mix of garbage dance music that appears in films like Ice Age 4 and some legit stuff that's not at all embarrassing if you're into dance/electronic music. MLO, Sabres Of Paradise, FSOL, etc.

8. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Which 10? You've piqued my curiosity.

9. phish

phish Jack Your Body

not a bad collection at all if you are into dance music and some of the stuff is really good.

10. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

I would think a pro DJ would own a collection like that, and if he didn't, would jump at the chance to get all of that in one auction. That price is pretty good, IMO, for that amount of music. Have to consider it's value to the person that would use it, not in reference to your personal tastes...

11. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

olson likes this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If he set up at a record show or car boot sale and priced them each at £1-5 each he'd sell quite a few of them for sure. He's got some good dance music stuff. Those Muzik, Jockey Slut and Mixmag compilation cds are generally pretty good. I have a few and have kept them far longer than the magazine they came with.

The problem is he's trying to sell it all at once for £1200 and it won't be easy to find someone to put up that sort of money all at once. Also, he needs to find that person who has that money and wants to have an instant dance music collection. Pretty rare in my book. Not impossible but very difficult. A lot of people will likely have a lot of it already and aren't looking for an instant collection like that.

If I were him I'd price them at a few hundred pounds and hope for the best. A shop will likely give him 25p per cd and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make an offer at all.

13. joefont

joefont Senior Member

As someone who primarily sells CDs on my eBay store (shameless plug), I wouldn't pay anymore than $200.

14. I don't have any idea what that collection is worth but I am watching the auction now to see if it sells. I sell a few CDs a month and it is clear to me, the mass market million seller isn't worth much used now.

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The seller should get something just for his/her time in typing out that entire listing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.