Any fans of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory(1971)?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django

Django Forum Resident

I've watched it so many times that I've lost all critical faculties . Love it.

vegafleet and Jeff Minn like this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

So shines a good film in a weary world.

Moshe and KevinP like this.
  3. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Thinking of the tone of Roald Dahl's writing, Gene was perfect - who else can put across so many different states of being or feeling at once? The element of greed and nastiness that some of the young adult characters display add to the subversive element. The boat trip scene might scare a few off, though - they might have to recover after that. I love Gene's way of being the guy who just loses it sometimes, as he's not sure if he can cope with everything that's happening. Wonka has let these people in to the factory, but doesn't have to like them - after all, some cheated to get in there through desperation and manipulations of various kinds. So, there's a bit of revenge in there too - in a kid's movie, yet. Disney this ain't.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It's a pretty weird film, especially by 1971 standards in a movie aimed at children. But, it does have the clumsy assistant to Victor Spinetti in Help! in it, so that is a plus.

tremspeed likes this.
  5. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

One of my favorite movies.

6. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I would have been in 1st grade, around 1983, and it was a rainy day here in Southern California so we had no recesses that day.. So we were all sent to the school lunch cafeteria and the projector was wheeled out and we were shown this movie. I always associate it with that rainy day and the smell of our elementary cafeteria. I remember just thinking how odd, dark, the movie was. Oddly enough it wasn't until the 3rd grade at that same school that we were given the opportunity to read the original book.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Any time you got to watch a movie in school was a good day! :)

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

There's a whole cult built around Veruca Salt, too.

[​IMG]

She's still showbusiness. Very pretty.

[​IMG]

I was kinda weirded out by "Charlie" in the extras on the blu ray. He looks like one of the Village People with a big handlebar mustache. In this photo he actually looks like one of the Mario Bros.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I am a big fan & I think it's because I'm not a book reader. I remember a few years ago when they released the 40th anniversary box set. My friend bought it for full price at Best Buy (around $60) & two weeks later Walmart had a couple copies priced at $19.96 & I got mine. He now waits & checks with me first. :thumbsup::agree:

10. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Saw it when it came out, loved it ever since. Gene Wilder rules! The movie also inspired me to dream numerous times that I was in an elevator capable of moving sideways. I heard this year that may actually come to be.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  11. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

12. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Oh man, what a scream! One quick millisecond edit and the ending becomes dark as hell!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.