The Doors s/t on Mofi 1981

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CARPEYOLO, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident Thread Starter

How does the vinyl sound? Anyone compared it to the AP and/or an original pressing?

hidden1one likes this.
  2. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

Avoid the MFSL pressing. The vocals are extremely recessed and this is especially noticeable during "The End" where there is absolutely no anger in his voice when he gets into the "oedipus complex" thing. It's sounds like he's singing a lullaby in the next room on this version.

The AP is better but still I don't think it sounds that great, I prefer listening to my old CD to either of these.

I'm still looking for a good example of the best original pressing (do a search and you'll find some threads) and hopefully I'll finally get to hear what a great pressing of this title sounds like.

CARPEYOLO likes this.
  3. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Our host has criticized the EQ choices of the original Elektra pressings on several occasions here.

David del Toro likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The MFSL is luscious smooth as silk, and crystal clear, love it! The End sounds wonderful playing back with such "first generation tapes" clarity for the very first time, and my copy has no ticks no clicks at all. But I haven't listened to it in 30 years. I used to like it and kept it, plan on playing it soon anyway.

Sox68, Dingo and mrob0000 like this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

None of the first or original pressings are from the true original masters. It's just the way Elektra worked back then. So the MFSL brought something out that had not been heard before.

6. mrob0000

mrob0000 Forum Resident

quicksrt is right. The MSFL Vinyl is just amazing, especially if you have a high resolving system. It's surreal at times. If you like this album a lot, you owe it to yourself to find a nice copy. The Analogue Productions vinyl, made from the "best tape copy" available doesn't even come close. I've heard that the DCC of the same album is great too but I've never heard it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.