Did anyone watch "Veep" on HBO?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve D., Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Glad you're enjoying it. I think each season has been fantastic. We get season 4 in the US in March, probably at the same time Game Of Thrones picks back up.

2. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Love the series. Can't wait for the new season!

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I fnckin' love this fnckin' show! No one is safe. I read somewhere that people around DC think "House of Cards" is a fun story and "Veep" is more like a documentary. Comedies on HBO rarely make it to a fifth season but I'm really hoping this one does, so it falls right in the middle of the presidential primary season.

mikeyt likes this.
  4. mep

mep Forum Resident

Sky Atlantic is a german Pay-TV station that owns the exclusive broadcasting rights for all current HBO-Shows till 2020. So the new seasons of GoT and Veep will get to us also quite soon via Sky, maybe within a few weeks delay for dubbing. Via Sky mostly both versions are available, the dubbed and the original one. Last week the first teasers appeared for a whole event channel called Sky Thrones HD. They did something equal this christmas for the Star Wars Movies, letting run the six movies 24/7 for almost two weeks. Covered with some documentaries in between. For the teaser a shadow of a dragon is flying over a german castle and burns it to the ground. They did quite the same with the Star Wars promotion, using tie fighters. They flew over certain german places and blew them up. We sure love to downfall... ;)

But Veep is great! It´s amazing that only Julia had a real post-seinfeld impact, besides maybe Larry David. Back then I would have never guessed that. And it´s stunning how she can say just plain awful things, acting like a lunatic but still smile all that away from time to time. Without her, the show would not work for me; she grounds it in a very human way...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  5. mep

mep Forum Resident

On a certain level I get that. I´m not working for the government, but for a very big, quite well known international german company. And when you´re around for a while, small, obscure things can become like huge issues. And you find yourself sitting in meetings, discussing stuff, that is so irrelevant outside your little peer group, but for you it´s sometimes like the most important stuff ever. Like discussions in Veep about witch frozen yoghurt to get and what the implications would be. I think, most of the time you just don´t deal with the big issues; simply because you don´t wanna get burned. So you´re struggling for some relevance through frozen yoghurt situations and puppy mugshots... ;)

Tuco likes this.
  6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I caught up on the show over the last few weeks. I love the show and season 3 was fantastic. Every episode was hilarious, and I can't wait for the next season.

7. agentalbert

Selena (the VP) takes a European trip in either S2 or S3 that is pretty funny. I loved the scenes with Dave Foley, who I think is playing the husband of the Swedish ambassador or prime minister.

8. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

Probably the most toxically cynical show I've ever seen. Love it.

'Its a meme ma'am not a meme ma'am' :laugh:

Vidiot likes this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The show has definitely improved with each season.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  10. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I personally am very troubled that there is an (erratically funny) television show where Elaine Benes is President of the United States.

Yet I can't look away. Loving HBONow.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The show is pretty good, but some of the reviewers are fawning over this show like it's the second coming - it isn't, it's not that good. For example, Silicon Valley is an order of magnitude better.

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I love VEEP as the Bizarro World West Wing (except this version is probably closer to the truth) and barely made it through one episode of Silicon Valley. So as ever mileage varies.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just hope she doesn't try to dance.

[​IMG]

Mr. H likes this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Really enjoying this season with her as President...

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Wow, this show just got awesomer. Looks like Hugh Laurie is joining the team as a replacement veep. Woo hoo!

mikeyt likes this.
  16. agentalbert

I love a lot of characters on the show, but one I think is great who I've never seen outside of "Veep" is Richard, played by Sam Richardson. This guy.

[​IMG]

mikeyt likes this.
  17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Hugh would be great addition.

18. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Funniest show on TV right now

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's pretty good, but I'd place Brooklyin-99 and Silicon Valley ahead of Veep.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's at least a dozen laugh-out-loud moments in every episode. This is a mean, nasty, cynical show and neurotic, obnoxious, insecure people... but I'd say the same thing about Seinfeld. And it is damned funny.

21. agentalbert

I wonder how much longer they're going to keep Amy and Dan working as lobbyists. I get that is what typically happens to any WH workers who don't catch on with another campaign, but the show doesn't work as well with them not part of Meyers team. They need to contrive some way to get them back in the W.H, realistic or not. The last episode "Mommy Meyer" was really funny. I love the look of disgust on Gary's face anytime Selina says something crudely sexual.

RK2249 likes this.
  22. I agree. They need to get Dan and Amy back in the game somehow. It reminds me of the Office Season 3 when they had Jim working outside of Scranton.

23. agentalbert

I actually didn't mind that at all, as I liked Andy (Ed Helms) and Karin (Rashida Jones) and the other characters at that branch. But the manager at the lobbying firm doesn't bring anything to the show, so its not really providing any benefit. It may be that the Meyers team has just gotten too big now that Ben and Kent are regulars.

24. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I die laughing whenever he has any dialogue. I'd love to see outtakes of this show!

PHILLYQ, mikeyt and RK2249 like this.
  25. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

He and Jonah are a hilarious duo.

PHILLYQ and chrischerm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.