what the hell happened to kids shows? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by goodiesguy, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Like any good animated show for kids, there is an extra layer of writing that can appeal to "adults." Both audiences can enjoy it simultaneously.

To me, that's what a good "kids show" is all about.

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That is the weirdest cartoon on tv at the moment. Everytime I watch it I feel like I'm back in the sixties high on LSD watching Yellow Submarine for the first time. Not that I was taking LSD back in the 60s, I was eight years old. But watching Yellow Submarine was strange enough to make the THINK I was taking it.

hi_watt and deadcoldfish like this.
  3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

And the Regular Show, nothing but blue jays and raccoons :wiggle:

goodiesguy and WHitese like this.
  4. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Regular show and adventure time I watch with my kidand we both crack up....

5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

They went this-a-way....

[​IMG]

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Watched a few Regular show, not bad, not great but not bad. All I hear is Timothy Olyphant's voice (I know it's not him)!

Decided to watch some Adventure Time after my other half went to bed one night last week. Before I knew I was was into my sixth episode! What a clever little show!

I'm 44 dammit!

7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'm 52, and my Googoomama Meter is going babies! Doesn't matter what age you are, animation's for anyone.

8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

And to paraphrase former US President Dwight D. Eisenhower, things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Every morning we make sure our two year old gets his dose of "PBS Kids" (Arthur The Aardvark, Clifford The Big Red Dog, Wild Kratts, Curious George, The Cat In The Hat, Daniel The Tiger, Peg & Cat, and of course Sesame Street)...all educational type cartoons/kids programming, they're not bad. Then there's also Odd Squad, a live action kids show where I swear the writers have a large stash of Purple Microdot they indulge in before writing...that show is warped, but my kid gets a boot out of it:laugh:

I do agree that Spongebob Squarepants is probably the best of the "newer" kids oriented cartoons. My kid'll watch Spongebob for hours...and I'm not ashamed to admit that more often than not I'll be watching right alongside him (even though my wife thinks I'm nuts...)

10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I imagine what happened is at least partly due to commercialization. Now, it seems that every minute of TV is viewed as wasted by networks until it is monetized. So kids shows became shorter (so more interrupting commercials), and then commercials invade the show itself through product placement, etc. The love of money is the root of many, many evils.

WHitese and beatlematt like this.
  11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I enjoy playing kids shows and game shows for my daughter. The recent Care Bears series, Mister Rogers Neighborhood, Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The really good kids shows are the ones I can re-watch as an adult and still enjoy (either because they're funny or engaging or well written or whatever).

driverdrummer likes this.
  13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I used to love watching The Price Is Right as a kid! I liked (and still like) the music. :)

14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It's a nice, wholesome show.

15. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

I liked watching Match Game as a kid. Not a nice wholesome show. Of course my mom did not like me watching it though! And yes, I still love the music!

driverdrummer likes this.
  16. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Xuxa was the last great kids' show!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.