Melody Gardot -My new favorite female jazz vocalist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sportzdad, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Just discovered this amazing talent last night. After a terrible accident on a bicycle that left her hospitalized for months, she turned to her music while interred and came into her own. As I understand , she is still very sensitive to lights and walks with a cane.

Her songwriting talents and ohh... that voice gives me chills. Time to purchase her library of work.

phish likes this.
  2. sportzdad

She has a new l.p. that is noted as being recorded 100 percent analog. Her style on the new album is a little departure from her last two. A bit more blues influenced, I'm very excited to hear the entire work. Here is a single from the upcoming album

Any other fans here?

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

4. sportzdad

I think this is because if how long it takes to get vinyl pressed currently. I've seen several releases in the last year where the CD and digital versions hit first, then the vinyl follows several months later.

Labels are either not willing to postpone the release date while waiting on a vinyl pressing

OR

Yet another way to get consumers to buy twice. Can't wait for the vinyl in a few months? Buy the CD now, then pick up the vinyl once it drops.

5. phish

phish Jack Your Body

she is new to me, but i like what i hear.

6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I love Melody, so I definitely plan to pick up the Artist's Cut CD upon release.

7. Tobylab

Tobylab Active Member

I enjoy her a lot. The first 2 albums were excellent. For me, the 3rd album was a bit spotty and not quite as good. Maybe it was over-produced and not quite as raw as the first two? I am looking forward to her new album.

8. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

And she is a really class act live as well. I've seen her two times, both excellent, and will see her the third time this autumn in Stockholm.

9. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Another chime in here to add that you should pick up her three currently available albums toot sweet! Each has a different feel and sound, yet all are musically stunning. Together with her astounding vocal control and expression you're in for an absolute treat.

The tracks released so far from next week's Currency Of Man album promise another essential purchase.

Now to work out if I can afford to go to London or Cardiff later on this year to see her live.

10. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I agree with this. I thought Worrisome Heart (her debut ?) her best. Then started to fall away. Too much success/critical love too soon ? Perhaps that's unkind.
    I would put a similar artist, Madeleine Peyroux, in a similar category, Careless Love was great, and I think the earlier Dreamland, followed by blander material.
    If you like new male vocal jazz with a touch of soul check out Gregory Porter - three or four very nice albums (second a bit patchier).

11. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Just listening to the Liquid Spirit album on Spotify at the moment on account of your post - liking it so far. Think this just might be a grower. And with some iTunes Store credit in reserve too... :) Wolfcry is just crying out to be listened to on the home rig, lights down and a glass of something full bodied and red to go with it.

12. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Not wanting to derail the thread but I've bought Liquid Spirit; what an album! There are times when it reminds me a little of Bacharach & Costello's Painted From Memory, which is about the highest praise I can think of. Now checking out Be Good on Spotify, which is on course to be the very next purchase.

Appreciate the tip :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.