1965-2015 "Rubber Soul" anniversary: and then... is rock music 50 years old?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

...or do we have to wait until next year ("Revolver", "Pet Sounds", "Freak Out!"....)?

What album could be considered "the first rock album"?

2. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Highway 61 Revisited.

So yes, 1965 is the year.

3. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

"Elvis Presley".

Shawn, Tord, Turmatic and 6 others like this.
  4. Iguess we have reached such a point of inertia that we have to celebrate when genres abbreviate
    [​IMG]

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Meet the Beatles

6. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

August 1964: the Kinks release 'You Really Got Me'.

7. 905

905 Senior Member

Elvis Presley

8. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I love The Beatles, but ROCK began in the '50s, people. The ELVIS PRESLEY album is the better answer.

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Rock & Roll and Rock are two different genres.

Rock began around '64/'65 - Rubber Soul is a good choice.

10. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

budwhite likes this.
  11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

1965?
    You think the Beatles invented rock music? Man this forum gets more entertaining everyday.
    Did the Beatles also invent the radio?

mick_sh, scotth, telepicker97 and 7 others like this.
  12. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

The OP asked a question if Rubber Soul or if there was another album that fit the definition of first Rock album.

There is really no need to overreact so much and act like people are saying the Beatles invented everything.

As much as Beatlemaniacs think the sun rises and sets on the group, the people that completely overact to anything positive that is said about them is worse.

That said, I am not sure what the definitions of rock, rock-n-roll, hard rock, heavy metal, or pop are, so I have no idea what the answer is.

13. Vinyl Addict

Happy to hear your opinion

14. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

This album (the Byrds' Mr Tambourine Man) is a much more dramatic break from the conventions of rock and roll than any previous "rock" album, since it does away completely with blues song structures and (but for one song) "blue notes." It's non-rock music played loudly on electric instruments, and set to rock rhythms.

Definitely a candidate for where a stylistically consistent "rock and roll" is eclipsed by a more nebulously defined "rock."

15. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Arguing over who invented what. Who gives a f**k? Just enjoy the music.

YouKnowEyeKnow, zebop and Bullis like this.
  16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Rock and Rock & Roll are 2 different genres? Give me a break. So what is "Runaway" by Del Shannon?

17. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Wasn't this the 1'st official Rock & Roll Record?

[​IMG]

18. Vinyl Addict

What about Chuck Berry?

zebop and Daniel Plainview like this.
  19. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

I don't really see what Rubber Soul has that A Hard Day's Night doesn't have; if one insists on dividing rock and roll and rock into two distinct genres, it seems to me that 1964 makes more sense. The British Invasion groups sound more like what came immediately after than what came immediately before. A Hard Day's Night was entirely self-penned, had a range of styles, featured some unconventional instrumentation for rock and roll (notably, the 12-string), and actually has quite a few rockers on it, whereas Rubber Soul de-emphasizes the 'rock' to a degree.

However, I resist the temptation to separate the two eras. To me, Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry have a lot more in common with the Beatles than they do with jazz or even the country and blues in their backgrounds. They are part of the same continuum. I generally use "Rocket 88" from 1951 as my arbitrary starting point for rock music (it is a cross between jump blues and r&b, and features the very "rock" idea of playing a solo through an amp with a broken speaker cone), but there are other contenders.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    mschrist and Skywheel like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

An awesome song!

mick_sh, jeatleboe, Tord and 4 others like this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Rubber Soul the first rock album?! No way, not even close.

Rock and roll started in the 1950's, this forum's precious precious Beatles grew up on it (Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, Carl Perkins, etc.).

Elvis had the first real rock and roll album, as far as I am concerned.

Turmatic, mpayan and Vinyl Addict like this.
  22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Apparently the Beatles took the Roll out of Rock and Roll when they came out with the first genre classified album ever called Rubber Soul. Original copies had a warning sticker on them stating "This is not a rock and roll record, do not purchase if you like roll."

scotth, Bender Rodriguez and sgtmono like this.
  23. Stefano G.

I completely agree.

BryanA-HTX likes this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Rubber Soul" isn't even that rockin' of an album, is it? I don't put it on and raise the sign of the horns and start head-banging or anything.

If we're separating "rock n roll" from "rock" or "modern rock" then don't we have wait until 1968 when we get to the GAH GAH GAH GAH GAH GAH GAH GAH CHANG! CHANG! CHANG! ? Because the classic rock radio stations don't play much of anything before '68. At least not in this town. Maybe an early Stones song slips through once in awhile, but that's it. And radio programmers certainly know what's right and wrong. I have total and complete faith in their judgement.

25. Stefano G.

Maybe Beatles did non invent the radio: but they were part of its content, for many years.. :D
    And please believe me: I'm really not a Beatles F-A_N_A_T_I_C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.