Does your vehicle have a cassette tape player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PaulKTF, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Does your vehicle (or one of your vehicles) have a cassette tape player in it?

I'm just curious to see if a majority of forum members have one or not. :)

I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot that doesn't.

2. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I have a Kenwood cassette deck in my 2005 Silverado. The factory radio was just am/fm (and probably one of the crappiest I've ever used).

3. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

1990 Dakota

jerol

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

So you had the cassette player put in after you bought it? Or did it come with one?

5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I had it installed. It was one of the last decent cassette decks available. I think the other 1 or 2 available were pretty crappy. It sounds pretty good. I bought it in 2005. Before that I had a 2003 F-150 that had a pretty decent factory tape deck.

6. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Nissan Murano 2007...top end Bose :hide: system. Only tapes played have been my 1979 off radio Hitchhikers. I miss the summer sight of streams of tape in the grass verges of the road glistening in the sunshine.

L.P. likes this.
  7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

No, my bike doesn't have a cassette player.

erniebert and mikeyt like this.
  8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Yes, my car does have a tape deck. My audio system at home is worth more than my car and my home system does not include a cassette player.

9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

2003 Land Rover Discovery. And one of those multi Cd changers under the passenger seat-road trip anyone?

10. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

2003 Town and Country. I occasionally play tapes, but mostly listen to the radio when driving around town. I use a cassette adapter for my ipod on road trips.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have had cassette. But upgraded soon after I got any car with cassette.

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yup. But looking fwd. to replacing it with a unit that can play mp3s.

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

'93 Alfa - yes
    '05 CRV - yes (cassette/cd combo)
    '12 Corolla - no

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I wouldn't care if mine didn't have a CD player.

15. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

My 2000 Ford Ranger had an AM/FM radio. I went to Pick N Pull and found a factory AM/FM Cassette/CD for 20 bucks. I was happy because since it was factory it was easy to install. Just plug & play... But the CD player finally died and ate a CD. So I finally went to Best Buy and had a Pioneer CD player installed. So no more cassette but I had about 5 years of use out of it.

Rockos likes this.
  17. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I have a 2012 VW Sportwagen that does not. And a 2001 Subaru Outback that does. Will probably swap that deck out soon.

18. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

One thing about Fords, the radios are pretty universal within certain years. Install is super easy.

19. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

1994 Miata with the Pioneer system CD/cassette combo (very spendy option for the time!)...I use the cassette with an adapter...the CD has almost no buffer so it is almost worthless as a CD player when moving and it does not play cd-r's...

20. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

'06 BMW 3-Series - No
    '14 Jeep Wrangler - No
    '76 VW Bus - No (The original factory system I replaced was AM/FM/8-track)

21. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Nope!... and no quarters vent window, drip moldings, or vinyl top either. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Mohojo and Rockos like this.
  22. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

Yes, but I have a 1990 Volvo 240, so...

McLover likes this.
  23. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Ah, the old cd buffer. I remember when the aftermarket decks advertised 10 second buffer! Good times.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

We have a 2006 Solara (CD only) and a 2008 (or 09?) Prius with CD+MP3CD+Aux Input.

I've been meaning to replace the Solara's ever since buying it in 09....but, honestly it just sounds really good, and I don't want to screw with it. I've had aftermarket decks that connected my iThing and/or played MP3 CDs in the previous cars I've owned, but....none had this nice a sound, so....every time I look, for a double DIN iConnected unit with equal power will set me back $700-1k once installed....to avoid making some CDRs? Ehh....I don't commute much any more. If job changes require tons of time in the car, maybe I'll look at it again.

25. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Our 1999 Honda van came standard with one. We paid big bucks for the optional CD player. The van, tape and cd players still look and work great.

Drifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.