Queensryche remasters. How bad do they sound?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dynamic Ranger, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

same here. strange the last queensryche album tate has his name attached to was imo the best thing with the queensryche name on it in years

jdjones and Jimmy Agates like this.
  2. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Just completed listening to original versions of the EP and currently into Rage for Order. My oh my the superiority over the woeful remasters. I'm never going back to the 2003's ever again! Agreed now that these classics with the exception of O:M (well maybe The Warning) don't need remixing. I'm afraid the original next to the remaster both sound too bright for my liking. Mindcrime needs it, badly! I really don't know how they didn't create a good mix in the studio back when it came out jeez. And I wish the last album with Todd La Torre would have that bloody horrible mastering opened up a bit, a LOT! I feel sorry for what they did to Jimbo Barton's mix. It was unforgivable.

Okay another question. I've now noticed that there are two versions of The Prophecy. Guess I'll put one of the versions with Rage and the version with the EP as is. Both versions are great in their own right.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  3. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

First "Prophecy" recording was done during the "Warning" demo sessions, the other during the regular album sessions.

4. xantus

xantus Active Member

I have an original press LP, it sounds beautiful detailwise.. no distortion. pressed very quiet actually (+8 gain where most are +2 for me)
    the mastering is a little lacking in the bass. Beatles' Come Together is more bass impactful... qr's performance begs for more..

5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The only place to hear the Warning session version of Prophecy is on the Decline of Western Civilization Part II soundtrack as far as I know.

6. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

I find the original Warning on EMI to be a very good sounding CD. I don't think it needs anyone getting their mitts on it. I posted previously about the original EMI of Mindcrime coming up lacking, but I much prefer it with all it's flaws over the remaster. I don't see how anyone could possibly endorse the remasters, yet some do. See my thread "Worst Remastering Of A Classic Rock Bands Back Catalog." The Queensryches are trending at about number 2 or 3. As to the Prophecy, I have the original EMI version of the EP that has it included, and it states that it was recorded during the Rage sessions. I was not aware there were actually 2 versions.

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I checked on YouTube and I can't find anyone who has put up the Soundtrack version...there is one that claims it is but it's the Rage version.

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm working on replacing my awful Judas Priest and Queensryche remasters with original CDs and picked up Rage For Order for $1.79. The differences are astounding. Comparing waveforms of the same song, it's hard to tell that they're even the same track.

9. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

The version of The Prophecy that is included as a bonus track on the The Warning 2003 remaster also is included on one of the Eyes of a Stranger CD Singles I came to learn.

I'm also in the middle of doing this myself. Also adding Black Sabbath and Uriah Heep to the list with Deep Purple I shall soon be looking into. Gotta thank you too Roland for your comprehensive lists too mate. Cheers. :)

Gus Tomato and Synthfreek like this.
  10. Redhat220

Roland's Black Sabbath thread is great. I used that for my Sabbath collection. Be careful though, he has an updated thread since the Deluxe versions came out.

Heep is easy. The first Bronze pressings are the best. The only one that is bad is Salisbury. For that one you might have to try a few different versions to find one you like.

The Purples are pretty easy too.
    Audio Fidelity for In Rock, Who Do, Fireball, Machine Head.
    Warner Japan first pressings for the first three albums, Burn, Stormbringer, Come Taste The Band
    DCC Gold for Made In Japan
    For Made In Europe the EMI remaster believe it or not is the best. Not compressed. The original pressing has no high end.
    For Perfect Strangers EMI 823 777-2
    For all the bonus tracks that were on the remasters:
    New Live And Rare
    Singles A's and B's
    To get the great song Demons Eye which is not on the AF version, use:
    Fireball EMI CDP 7 46240 2. This pressing is very good. It's almost as good as the AF.
    After Perfect Strangers I didn't care for anything they put out until Perpendicular. I like that and Abandon. After that I bailed on them again.

I don't know if Roland has a Purple thread. If he does I would be interested to know how my preferred versions match up to his. I spent a lot of time doing a to b comparisons on a lot of these titles. :shtiphat:

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    enro99 likes this.
  11. Redhat220

Yes, the Queensryche original pressing waveforms don't even resemble the remasters. There is a certain member on here who loves them. He shall remain nameless and clueless.

For the Priests it's easy. The original Columbia US pressings or the 1st Japanese pressings (25-8P series). It's my understanding they are the same mastering. For Rocka Rolla And Sad Wings the '87 pressings on Line records are my preferred versions.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  12. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

These are the worst remasters I have ever heard. I actually don't rip on remasters that often, but these are pure torture to listen to. I recently picked up a few (Rage,Mindcrime,Empire) of the original "classic" Queensryche cds and they sound sublime.

32XD Japan1 and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  13. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I had to do something ridiculous like this to tame them a bit -

[​IMG]

14. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Yes, Roland has a Deep Purple thread too. Agreed on the AF versions of In Rock through to Who Do We Think We Are too. Just a pity that Demons Eye wasn't included. :p

15. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agreed, the 03' remasters actually sound much worse to me now then when I originally posted this thread! (Got better equipment.) Honestly, the originals all sound perfect the way they are. No bass-boost or silly EQ adjustments needed. ;) (Just a tad bit of treble decrease on the original Mindcrime CD and it sounds incredible.)

4stringking73 likes this.
  16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

"Walk In The Shadows" original vs. remaster. I'll be the first to say that I'm not usually a "waveform guy" but I don't see how anyone could possibly think that the remaster sounds good no matter they're listening to it on.
    [​IMG]

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Because it's loud but not brickwalled. Again, for me, these are fantastic and much better sounding than the original issues.

18. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

The original US Mindcrime doesn't sound great. But the Japan 1st pressing CP32-5618 sounds very nice.

Aside from the overuse of digital compression, what the original vs. remasters question really boils down to is this. Do you like to listen to music that was recorded on analog equipment, with the analog characteristics preserved as much as possible or not.

The Judas Priest, Queensyche, Van Halen, and Iron Maiden remasters are simply the worst earbleeders I've ever heard.

19. Dynamic Ranger

Agreed that it doesn't sound the best. It's shrillness/harshness can take a first time listener by surprise if not expecting it. But again, it is a much more pleasing experience when compared to the 03' remaster. I'll take a thin and sharp sound over a thick and bloated one any day!

Me personally, I love analog recorded albums on CD. They sound the most natural and balanced to my ears. Many DDD (full digital recordings) can sound very good, but can also be too harsh or "bright" as well. DDD CDs are not always exactly thin (I love a nice thin sound! Preserves the dynamics.) Just very glassy/sharp/shrill to listen to, almost like a bright glare. Which probably explains why the original Mindcrime CD sounds the way it does. I read it was a full digital recording. Even Geoff Tate claims the original "Is like a razor blade on the ears." I really don't think it's that bad, but when turned up real good, it indeed comes close! So I do see his point there. ADD (analog recording, but a digital mix) can be a mixed bag.

Indeed they are. I avoid these "disasters" like the plague! Listening to any of the Queensryche 03' remasters for just a SECOND makes me nauseous. :help: Even on a crappy sounding portable RCA CD player! Can give you tinnitus if you listen, or even slightly HEAR them for a long period. Whoever gave the Priest, Ryche, VH, and Maiden remasters the green light must be one deaf S.O.B! :laugh:

32XD Japan1 likes this.
  20. Dynamic Ranger

Not to mention, the 2004 Megadeth remixes/remasters are also pretty damn bad! But that's for another thread I suppose.

21. 32XD Japan1

Yes they are the worst as well. The original Rust In Peace (which I have the TOCP Japan 1st), is actually a well recorded metal album. Sounds great cranked. To remix it and make the drums sound like cannons serves no purpose whatsoever.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  22. 32XD Japan1

The Japan CP32-5618 is the smoothest, least harsh version you'll ever hear. Smokes both the original US, and of course the remaster by huge margins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.