Rush announce 40th anniversary tour.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Have you ever heard of Google?

2. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

www.setlist.fm

JulesRules and Rockos like this.
  3. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The opening show was "A", mine in NOLA was B. Rush.com has them show by show. Setlist.fm also.

4. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I'll avoid spoilers, but if anybody reading this is a fan of the band, and is still on the fence or hasn't gotten their tickets yet, this show is a must-see. They are absolutely going out on top.

I was at the New Orleans show and it was stunning. You really have to see Neil Peart play this stuff with your own two eyes. He is back with the iconic classic monster double bass drum kit with star logos. They are breaking out the double necks, the fog machines and the lasers. What a show.

Nick Drake fan and Rockos like this.
  5. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

BeauZooka likes this.
  6. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I saw them this past Tuesday in the suburbs of Atlanta and was blown away! I have't seen them since the Roll the Bones tour in '92 and checked out after Counterparts. I thought Geddy sounded GREAT and those guys were just having a blast. I enjoyed the new (or new to me) material and was please with the classic songs they played. My only minor gripe is that they played "Roll the Bones" while ignoring any material from Presto or Hold Your Fire. I've never really cared for that song and the silly rap section. With a back catalog as massive as their's, I think they still did a fine job with obvious favorites and a couple of deep cuts. If they are done, they are going out on top.

7. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Been a fan for years, but will finally see my first Rush show this Saturday in Northern Virginia. Glad to hear the good reviews, though I'm a little sad to see Limelight and Freewill taking a break from the setlist this tour. Still, One Little Victory and Roll the Bones making appearances makes me very happy. Can't wait!

JulesRules likes this.
  8. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I saw them in Greensboro, NC last night. Great performance and set list but I was disappointed by the sound. Maybe it was something to do with where I was sitting, but I often had difficulty hearing the vocals or lead guitar. This was particularly a problem when all three were playing. Drum solos sounded fine for example. Also the encore songs sounded OK to me.

I saw Paul McCartney at the same venue last year and the sound was fine.

9. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

The sound from my position in Houston Toyota Center (side, half way along, 20 rows up) was appalling at the start. Loud is ok if clear. The sound was a muddy distorted over-loud mess, however.

It improved, but not until the more nuanced guitar lines of the 80s stuff (hmmm... kinda like some people's complaints that the guitar is too dense anyway in recent Rush albums)... but wasn't great overall.

Fortunately, I had earplugs on me, which helped. Shouldn't have to be that way, surely.

JulesRules and gillcup like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

On my way to the show in northern va right now

Panama Jack likes this.
  11. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

this is how it sounded to me during the Clockwork Angels tour in Bridgeport, CT. I was sitting somwhere around the 5 or 7 O'Clock position if the stage is at 12. I moved from that seat and went to Alex's side on the side of the stage even with Neil. The sound was much, much better from here but I was only able to stay there for a few tunes and got kicked out by people with tickets. I never did find anywhere else to sit. The place was packed because they roped off every last seat that was not sold. Terrible venue and security.

12. Matthew Tate

i enjoyed the show. weird not hearing limelight or freewill live

Panama Jack likes this.
  13. johnHS

johnHS Forum Resident

I was there too and thought the same thing! I couldn't understand what Geddy was saying when he would speak between songs. I'm glad I saw them anyway. Last time was the Presto tour.

gillcup likes this.
  14. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

That was my only lament as well. Otherwise, it was a great show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. RockWizard

They're running 3 set lists, going in order by city(A-B-C). Haven't had a chance to put them side by side, but my "B" list was great. What did I miss? Barchetta? YYZ? Was happy with the changes for that set. Bottom line is, they're having a ball doing this stuff. Just took a while to get used to the road crew constantly moving in and out to change the look.

16. botley

botley Forum Resident

I will be happy with any of the three setlists they've been rotating; I still vividly remember seeing them play "YYZ" at the Toronto Rocks festival in 2003, no more than a stone's throw away from the airport it's named after, which was amazing... so I don't need that one again. But yeah, a repeat would also be great, as this is their friggin' hometown! Should be an amazing experience either way.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

none of the setlists have limelight or freewill though. this was my show

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2015/jiffy-lube-live-bristow-va-3c99967.html

i was happy with what setlist i did get though

18. Matthew Tate

its like the stones not playing satisfaction although if you look at the stones setlist complaints some fans might prefer they not play it

19. RockWizard

I need to check setlist.fm. Memory foggy. My last time seeing them before this tour was Time Machine. I believe they did Freewill. Limelight was part of them playing Moving Pictures. Another great show.

20. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Wrong.

Love,
    billy

21. marblesmike

Cool man, back to the thread to try to ruin everyone's enjoyment of the tour. You must be one of those super-bitter fans whose favorite band did something to upset you along the way. We get it.

As for the video, yeah we know he helps set up their midi channels that need to be triggered on stage. As for his midi controller, he even said it's for testing/emergency purposes. My guess is you saw that and said "OMG he plays keyboards offstage!"

Here's the part with Jack Secret saying how the responsibility of triggering comes from the various three guys in the band. Check out from about 17:15 for the next minute or so.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    Rockos, botley and Meurgley like this.
  22. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

You're very sensitive and thin skinned for someone participating in a worldwide forum. Maybe this is your issue, not mine? If you feel so strongly about your *opinions,* how could anything I say upset your - or anyone else's - enjoyment of the tour?

I'm not "trying" to do anything other than shoot down the ridiculous and impossible claim that everything heard during a live show is generated from the three guys on stage. It's stupid and dishonest.

The idea that it absolutely has to be the three of them on stage or it doesn't "look right" is ridiculous. Who cares? Just admit you need "help" and bring on a fourth or fifth member to provide all the keyboard and vocal parts that they seem to think is essential to the band's live performance.

Love,
    Billy

23. marblesmike

I'm not sensitive. I just think you're trolling.

Rockos likes this.
  24. botley

botley Forum Resident

Then why did you post a video going into enormous detail about exactly how they pull it off? Do you need a refresher on what MIDI is, or samplers? They go to great lengths to set all that stuff up, precisely so they have all those trigger points on stage wired to Jack's sampler rig. Neil's tech used to have a similar rig wired on his electronic drum brains. Do you think that means Neil wasn't playing all the drum parts himself?

JulesRules, Rockos and marblesmike like this.
  25. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I just went to the Columbus show back on Monday. My thoughts?

Careful, this post has some spoilers!!

Well let's start out with the not-so-good. I did my best to avoid spoilers (even though I eventually found out about both parts of Cygnus, Jacob's Ladder, and Distant Early Warning.) The first set seemed like "Rush's Greatest Latter-Day Hits." Everything was incredibly predictable, and I even correctly guessed that Far Cry, Animate, and One Little Victory would make the setlist. Columbus got the A set, so we didn't get How It Is (which is the only never-performed song on the tour IIRC). I was very disappointed that the band totally ignored both Power Windows and Hold Your Fire for this tour. Since my favorite Rush era is from Signals to Show of Hands, this made me rather sad. Sure, Windows had a grand total of five songs throughout each setlist during the previous tour (which was my first time seeing Rush), but they couldn't even play just a single song from at least one of them? Oh well, I guess that's why these 2 albums got a rest for R40. Perfectly understandable. A bigger disappointment was finding out about how Losing It was being played during soundchecks. This got me very excited and I was crushed when I actually went to the show and found out that it wasn't played.

Now on to the good. Rush certainly sounded better than when I saw them in Cincinnati back in July 2013. I was surprised to hear that Geddy's vocals didn't sound as mediocre as they during the last two tours. Despite Alex's arthritis, he played with aplomb. And Neil can certainly still play the **** out of the drums! Song-wise, they pretty much picked some of the best stuff from Clockwork Angels. I'm really happy that the band brought back Red Barchetta and Distant Early Warning (which is my favorite Rush song). Despite knowing about Jacob's Ladder and the Cygnus duo beforehand, it was wonderful to experience these two cuts live for the first and certainly only time. The biggest surprise for me was the encore featuring tracks from the first three albums. What a killer combination these four songs are!

If this truly is Rush's last big outing, then I'm glad that I was lucky enough to see 'em. As for Alex's desire to do another album or two, that would be great, but it would be really hard to top Clockwork Angels!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.