Upcoming Yes archival release: "Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy Two"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Yes. And Yes. And furthermore, some of the performances on Yessongs were edited...you get the full versions on Progeny (you Yessongs-memorized air guitarists are going to miss your cues during Yours is No Disgrace).

ARK, karlm, Meng and 1 other person like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hmmm...I wasn't too excited about this release because, well, I have Yessongs and have never much liked the way it sounded anyway. But if this sounds a lot better, I guess I'm going to have to reconsider that... :)

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Progeny has arrived, beautifully packaged, Roger Dean's imagination is as potent as ever. Just getting into the first show, Siberian Khatru is playing and the the details of Steve Howe's guitar playing, and Wakeman's keys, are fully audible and well presented. I know what I'm listening to this week!

Larry L and scottp like this.
  4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

FYI, the complete set of concerts is available on Spotify now. Though I'll likely still go for the highlights set, I'm looking forward to checking some complete shows out before I make my purchase. . .

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

If you remember seeing Yes live back in the 70s (I think you're about my age), you'll love these shows. I'm playing the Athens show (someone suggested it) and it sounds like you're there. Separation is great. The sound is great. The playing is great. I know what I'll be doing the rest of the evening. :)

6. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. The box set arrives tomorrow from Amazon, but I'm previewing the Athens show now via Spotify. Wow! First impression: this is a lovely mix, especially considering the sources used. The individual parts are all clearly discernible on their own, yet the music works holistically as well. Thumbs up so far!

7. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Highly crankable too!

Ere and Tone_Boss like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Just made my way through the box set's first concert. One word: phenomenal. Now this is how it's done, record companies and artists.

9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I had to turn the volume up. Imagine that.

karlm, ralphk and Joe McKee like this.
  10. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Scratch that... box set arrived at my house this afternoon. Too bad I won't arrive there myself until well after 9...

11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Second show is a much cleaner recording than the first. Yum.

12. Bemsha

Bemsha Forum Resident

I have the box since Friday, and it is beautiful, and it sounds very very good. I think it's better than Yessongs. And the band is really on fire. This could be their best live album.

13. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I ordered the 3LP set from Bull Moose for $47.97. Today I received the 2CD set. And they charged me the LP price for it...

I've been happy with them in the past, so I sent a nice note via their customer service page.

...and they replied almost immediately! They are sending the LP set, and asked me to write "Return to Sender" on the CD package and put it back in the mail. Great service!

On another positive note, I got the full 14 CD set from Amazon, today, too!

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  14. zen

zen Senior Member

According to my wife, the box set arrived this afternoon. .......Toronto, here I come!! :D

15. GRompre

GRompre New Member

Half-way through Duke show... It's like being there. It's so much more in-your-face! The details, the energy!

For those on the edge concerning the box vs the highlight.... For me: 100% box set. Here's why. Finally, finally, whole shows with no cuts, no editing... All is there!! (the highlights is still a "best of...").
    This is priceless! It takes the best of the bootleg experience, with the continuity and the crowd, but with a better sound, way better than Yessoungs. Hear the crowd during Howe's Mood for a Day/ the Clap. It gave me goosebumps.

After Duke, Athens!!

dougb222 likes this.
  16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Just got home and my 3lp Highlights set was waiting for me. And, Amazon honored the $16 price.
    [​IMG]

17. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

I was surprised when USPS delivered my "2CD" set from Amazon in such a large box. Was shocked to find the vinyl set inside after the shipping price had dropped from $16.99 to $14.88. Wottadeal!

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

You guys are making me feel bad for when I fork over 50+ for the vinyl... :)

19. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Absolutely - had this blasting well past where I usually keep the volume - just listened to the first few songs on the first disc - some righteous stuff so far! Very eager to wade my way through.

rburly and zen like this.
  20. dankrakafoon

dankrakafoon Member

I am currently listening to the Athens show (disc 9), and at the end of Siberian Khatru, it sounds like Jon Anderson is saying "Thank you, it's nice to be back in Tennessee"

:eek:

Is there a disc labeling issue?

Otherwise, I am LOVING everything I heard so far.

ARK likes this.
  21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I haven't received a shipping notice for my $16 vinyl yet - did those that have already received it get a shipping notice first or did it just show up?

22. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I think the only notice we received was a note on the order page that it would be here by 8pm today.

Mad Dog and Aggie87 like this.
  23. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but in case anyone was interested, in addition to the complete box, all the individual shows are up on iTunes - for a dollar or two less than the Highlights set, at least in the Australian store.

rcb30 likes this.
  24. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Great find/point! They are down the artist page a bit at the moment, but they're on the U.S. page, too. As a Highlights buyer waiting on his copy who also has some iTunes credit, I just might have to sweeten the situation a little ... perhaps with a show recommendation from the folks here who have heard more of the full set?

25. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

Also received the vinyl for about $15. My luck is tempered however by the sad news regarding Chris Squire's health.

Get well soon Fish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.