VG++ or EX ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by aoxomoxoa, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

Which do you feel is a more appropriate grade to use when grading vinyl? I am just curious what people think.

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

The original Goldmine grading system did not include "Excellent".

"Excellent" appears in the UK Record Collector grading scale. In that application, EX is essentially equivalent to Goldmine VG+.

VG++ and Excellent are constant sources of confusion for record buyers, as the terms can have very different meaning, depending who is doing the grading. (and don't even get me started on VG+++)

To most US sellers I've bought from, it appears that EX is a special (somewhat improvised) grade that resides some where between a strong VG+ and Near Mint. So basically equivalent to "VG++" Goldmine or better. That is, vinyl which may have some very slight blemishes, but overall is very close to mint. Playback will be very clean, certainly no loud ticks, pops, crackle, nothing that would disturb a finicky audiophile.

But it's very important to mention that EX and VG++ have very different meanings to most UK and continental European sellers I've done business with. EX to those sellers is an average record, which may have a few marks, some scuffs and may playback with moderate surface noise. Not quite an audiophile grade copy. Note that this is actually below the condition of vinyl US sellers grade as VG++. If you want the UK equivalent to Goldmine VG++, you need to buy records graded EX+ (the plus sign is crucial).

I've found that anything graded in the VG range by a UK seller will be somewhat rough: deeper scratches, groovewear and loud surface noise, although jumps and sticks are not allowed. It does not matter how many plus signs are added after the "VG", it will be a rough record. Definitely not for audiophiles.

In summation:

UK NM = US NM

UK EX+ = US VG++ or EX

UK EX = US VG+

UK VG++ = US VG

UK VG+ = US VG

UK VG = US VG

I rarely see grades below this in advertisements. Although the records may deserve the lower grades, it appears sellers shy away from using them, because the product simply won't sell. So yes, I think there is grade inflation.

Freddy's Dead, Wuther and thevinylguy like this.
  3. TLMusic

dee, mwheelerk and aoxomoxoa like this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

I use VG++ in the classifieds but until coming here I never thought of it as a serious grading. I feel it is the same thing.

I guess there may be some sellers who use both as different grades?

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Exactly. Regardless of the SHM classifieds, VG++ is not a true grade. Anywhere

6. TLMusic

I imagine some of the sellers here view EX as better than VG++, but still below mint. That's based on vinyl I've received from them.

Personally, I think the word "Excellent" has a nice ring to it, and looks really good in the ad copy. I've been mighty tempted to use it, because it might boost sales. :)

7. TLMusic

I sure see it being used often on eBay.

The best vinyl sellers I've bought from here use "VG++" in the way that it is explicitly described in the Forum grading scale. It may not be a standard grade in the original Record Collector or Goldmine systems, but it can be very communicative when there is some consensus regarding its meaning.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I don't know if it's a question of which one is more appropriate. For a lot of us record folk, we come from a background where buying records involved a long history of being around the word "excellent", whether it was something overseas or domestic.

Personally, I prefer EX, probably because I'm simply used to it. But like almost anything in life, adjustments can me made, and I try to just think of it as a slightly different language being used around here.

Once upon a time, EX in England was just like an EX record over here. I swear, it used to be that way!

TLMusic likes this.
  9. TLMusic

According to record sellers I've corresponded with in England, "Excellent", when strictly applied, should describe a very nice condition copy. However, in practice, the term is used extremely loosely. It's almost as if most UK sellers simply label every single record in their stock as "EX", be it good, bad or ugly...

P.S. A few years ago I had a very well-respected (now retired) US record store owner give me a lesson in grading. His opinion: VG++ doesn't exist. And, the strict Goldmine VG+ grade indicates a very nice collectible record with no feelable marks, certainly no groovewear. He told me that the current scene involves so many collectors and audiophiles that new grades have been created to try to describe nuances that no one cared about before. And it has resulted in serious record grade inflation.

10. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Right-o. I always considered excellent to be something where it's easy to see that it was well cared for. There are also plenty of instances where a record or a cover will just miss a grade because of something quite minor, and as long as you're articulate about it, that helps a great deal. There are all kinds of examples - you could have a like new cover, but the original owner put a small dot next to 4 song titles on the rear, for instance.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    TLMusic likes this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've never sold vinyl and know I have used EXC for CDs and SACDs. I was surprised to check and see it wasn't part of the grading scale for vinyl. I agree the ratings posted for the forum should be used.

12. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

When did the Goldmine scale come into common use? I would think since it's been so long, that it should be updated. Vinyl was far more common then, making it easier to generalize the grades. With the time and advancement in the arena of vinyl, I think Goldmine needs to have a 2.0 version.

Much like the education system.....started off as pass/fail....moved to ABCDF - and has advanced further.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

EX has a frightening ring to it imo. Very open to interpretation. I've seen it to mean (European sellers) better the VG, but not as good as VG+.

VG++ can mean a Near Mint LP that has an odd issue about it. How about a Mint or Near Mint LP with an initial written on the label. Or a cover with stickered shrink wrap but a drill hole or big cut corner. That would be a VG++ for sure. Too nice for VG+, but not NM either see?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.