The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

Earlier today:
    [​IMG]

Right now:
    [​IMG]

Haven't listened to this one in a while. Perfect for a dark, rainy night after a long day at work.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Based on a suggestion here, gonna head into DiP Vol. 20, 1976, right about...now.

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am enjoying a pretty nice reel sbd 7-1-73 Universal Amphitheatre. It has kind of a slow burn to it; nice crisp China Cat, a great Playing and the slow Loose Lucy is growing on me.

4. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

The Weir documentary, the Other One, is a must watch for all that participate in this thread. Cheers to those pointing it out to me on Netflix.

Currently listening to 5/26/72! What a way to finish a tour! Love the first set NFA GDTRFB NFA combo in set one and the crowd participation. They truly reached musical nirvana as this tour concluded.

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Will do. I have it on the hdd.

Dick's picks 23. 1972.
    Can you imagine Black throated wind without Jerry's tasteful melodies?

6. budwhite

What is the typical dead song for you? What would you play for someone who doesn't know the band?

China cat > Rider or a ten min Truckin seems like a good choice.

I don't really remember what I got into first. But probably American beauty and Bertha and Wharf rat where two songs that stuck from the live shows

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I would play the "Playing in the Band" from Ace. Good distillation of their grateness. Wonderfully weird. If they don't get that they don't get the Dead.

Olompali likes this.
  8. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Allah's side one is a great intro to the band.
    Reckoning is a terrific GD songbook intro.

DrLunchbox, US Blues and Daedalus like this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Right now: 5/18/77, Fox Theatre, Atlanta (the one between the last show of May 1977 and the first show from Dick's Picks Volume 29).

Deal, Cassidy, Jack A Roe, Mexicali Blues, Friend Of The Devil, Minglewood Blues, It Must Have Been The Roses, Lazy Lightning-> Supplication, High Time, The Music Never Stopped Jack Straw, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Drums-> The Other One-> Stella Blue-> Around & Around, Brokedown Palace

rockinlazys likes this.
  10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Finishing up the three night stand in Philly, March 1995.

The first night has a very interesting "Truckin'" to recommend it (I didn't say "great", I said "interesting").

The third night has Jerry quite animated for the period (really good "So Many Roads") , and of course the "Unbroken Chain" breakout. This is the second show (along with 2-21-95) that I would recommend from 1995.

On a side night, it's got "Mathilda" going into "Drums". The first time I heard this one (which actually was the last one - Giants Stadium 6-19-95), I thought Jerry was covering Allan Sherman!

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have heard that the second show was good (and it includes the "Visions Of Johanna" Phil included on the Phil Zone CD) but haven't listened yet.

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yes, all three shows are fine (adding the usual "for '95" caveat). It definitely sounds like the three week break after the Mardi Gras show was good for Jerry (temporarily, anyway).

13. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I don't love many 95' shows but 2/21/95 is pretty decent..

14. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Just seeing 1995 within the GD context makes me sad. I can't bring myself to listen to the final tours.

After listening to nothing but high sound quality releases lately, I am about to dig into a thick binder of CDRs. Going chronologically, I am starting with 10/22/67, a show I know nothing about. Then its 1/20/68, 2/22/69 and then the Fillmore West run. I have quite a few from '69 and'70. This is gonna be fun.

On this day in 1989 there was a big AIDS benefit show at the Oakland Coliseum. The Grateful Dead, John Fogerty (with Jerry & Bobby on guitar-nice Jer solo on "Rock 'n' Roll Girls"-Tracy Chapman, Los Lobos, Tower Of Power & Joe Satriani. Listen to "Truckin'" from this show if you get a chance-Jerry's pretty amped on the jam into drums. One of the most fun days of all concert days for me.

15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

10/22/67 - That's a hot one! It's the very first live version of "That's if for The Other One" (with alternate lyrics) and has a white-hot acid rock intensity. I'm hoping that the Shrine '67 shows from L.A. in November get released as a Dave's Pick one day. Dave picked one of the shows as a favorite in that magazine list printed recently.

16. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

Just finished listening to my composite playlist of 11/2/77, and also downloaded 11/6/77 for possible listening later tonight. I had been listening to each of the May 1977 shows on the day of their anniversary earlier in the month, but eventually started getting sucked into shows from later in the year. I'm not going to criticize Spring '77 anymore, because there are so many passionate fans that period, and it's hard to argue with an era where every show is so consistently listenable and well played. But I think on the whole that I enjoy fall 1977 through 1978 more than spring 1977. The unbridled energy and raw power that the band achieved at many points during this time period is simply unmatched by any other period in their history (excepting the early '80s), while they were still capable of jaw-dropping jams and moments of striking beauty. Also, as others have noted, they started to loosen up and become much more wild again - which makes things generally a lot more exciting. That being said, I still have my spring '77 favorites (5/9, 5/13, 5/17, 5/19. and 5/27 probably being my top five shows of the month), and plan to catch up on the shows from May that I have yet to listen/relisten to before revisiting the Winterland June 1977 box once again.

Claxton, Six Bachelors and budwhite like this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No worries; I'll keep doing it. ;)

18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

And so you have earned your name, WiseJake. I suggest you sneak in a listen to 6.4.77 before you hit the Winterland box. No SBD from LA circulates, which is a darn shame.

WiseJake237 likes this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I've got your back!

WiseJake237 and Archtop like this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

my steppin out 77 finally arrived today

21. budwhite

The two Road trip Terrapins from 1979 are quite interesting. Very slow and long, more jammy. I prefer 77-78 but I like that it's so different. And was 79 the last time Garcia sang with his youngish voice?

He sounds older on Dave's 1980 Atlanta

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    When this was first announced, I thought "meh" (literally!), but I ordered it anyway. The artwork looked terrible, but then I realized it was a Star Wars reference (released the same day of the show) and I liked it. When I finally received the album, I gave it a listen but it didn't say much to me. Now I really like it, and I'm listening to it at this very moment.
    Moral: don't you ever sell the first installment from the Dave's Picks series based on an initial negative impression, because one day it will appeal to you and you will share your praises with the members of the Steve Hoffman Music Forum.

23. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I can see the picture!

This is a very nice show, I agree. And it fetches quite a bit on the used market these days, so if you were ever considering selling it now would be a good time. I've heard a lot of criticism about the artwork, but understanding the backstory helps.

24. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

My first day of work after a week off, and I'm spinning:

[​IMG]