Sam Cooke: "At the Copa" or "Live at the Harlem Square"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

This consists of a smooth supper club performance (with a big band) for a (presumably) upperclass white audience at NYC's Copacabana. Pretty polished stuff with his own band mixed with the house orchestra.
    While listening you get the sense that Sam is holding back but that doesn't stop it from being a grand show. It's most appropriate due to the setting. Give it a listen if you haven't. You won't be disappointed.

[​IMG]

This consists of a rawer,grittier, more "gutbucket down home" in style performance for a (presumably) black and younger audience. Sam is in rare form on this date.
    Here he was, soulful, energized, sweating up a storm, steppin' out of his "Eisenhower" threads, crooning, rasping his way through songs. Talkin', testifying, workin' the crowd, laughing & joking around.
    I love how he,his band and audience are so in sync with each other.
    You could hear that he was in a much more comfortable setting. Recorded only about one year before his death, this is Mr. Cooke at his peak.

A. Scrounger likes this.
  2. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

If you'd like some live gospel era Sam....

[​IMG]

JL6161, trebori, ruben lopez and 4 others like this.
  3. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

4. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

At The Harlem Square. "Downhome" it is. It's like Sam's taking everyone to church. He was one of the first that understood that's what the people - regardless of skin color - really wanted to hear, and he delivered.

e.s. and JohnnyQuest like this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

6. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I've got to vote for Harlem Square. It's so darn good! OK, Sam's voice is a bit ragged, but the energy of this show is electric, and to think it wasn't released until June of 1985! All those years in the vault, yet it finally saw the light of day.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Having a listen to At The Copa on Spotify as I type. Liking it.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

It would have been nice to be at the Copacabana and I love Sam's vocals on that one and I like the smooth sound, but it's no contest: the Harlem Square Club is where it was at. Loved both, but yeah, you can tell Sam's more in his element on the latter. At The Copa is a great show; Live At The Harlem Square Club sounds like it would have been a profound experience to be present at.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  9. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

They´re both great!!!

I prefer the rawness of At The Harlem Square though!

Folknik likes this.
  10. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Harlem Square. Especially the drummer.

JuanTCB likes this.
  11. JohnnyQuest

Once again, Copa is overshadowed by LATHS's greatness. :p

12. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Yeah, I looked that up: the drummer is Albert 'Gentleman June' Gardner. He's the drummer on both albums. So it wasn't just Sam who stepped it up in Miami.

Kermit27 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  13. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Harlem Square

14. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Love both albums, but I can listen to the Harlem Square record all the way through. With the Copa album, I skip over certain tracks.

15. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Thanks! I never knew who he was. But he does some great overexcited fills on Harlem. One of my favourite live albums. Speedy!

16. JohnnyQuest

This is the album that opened my eyes to how wonderful live albums could be. :love: They suck you into their atmospheric settings.
    My top 4 R&B/Soul live albums:

Marvin Gaye - Live at the London Palladium
    Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live!
    Otis Redding - Live at Europe
    Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club

:)

Man at C&A, Piiijiii and Thom like this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

q

Harlem Square, no question !

To the above I would add

James Brown at the Apollo
    Bill Withers Live at Carnegie Hall
    Aretha Franklin Amazing Grace if it counts (church recoding ?) or Fillmore

Worth a separate thread ? Some of the Temps e.g. With Supremes we're decent.

I haven't played my Sly live yet...

Izozeles and JohnnyQuest like this.
  18. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Marvin's is my favourite. But I'm not really a fan of live albums (usually). I also like Curtis/Live! and EWF's Gratitude (and now Sam's Live At The Harlem Square Club). :D
    I couldn't find a clip of 1970s Earth Wind & Fire I liked, but this 1982 performance of "Reasons" is stellar. Philip Bailey, my favourite vocalist ever:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuest

Have those too but I'm not very fond of Aretha's "Amazing Grace" album because it comes off too preachy for my taste. (Not exactly the religious type.)
    I have a few of the singles that were featured on "Gratitude" but never listened to the album in it's entirety.
    Is it on Spotify? If so, I'll give it a listen before purchasing. :) I'm a fan of everything they did from Last Days and Time to Raise! :love:

20. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I bought LIVE AT THE HARLEM SQUARE CLUB many years ago on vinyl and loved it on first hearing - so gritty, you do get a sense of what it was like to be there. AT THE COPA is not as exciting, but it's not the same set and let's face it, he could sing the phone book and you wouldn't care.

chervokas likes this.
  21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I believe you're confusing "ragged" with RAW. Sam was in complete control that night, there was nothing ragged about his voice. A stunning performance, actually.

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

As hard as this can be to comprehend, it was probably just another night on the Chitlin' Circuit...

So many of those live R&B albums from that era are simply amazing. These are some others worth hunting down:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thom likes this.
  23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Sam Cooke is probably my favorite singer of all time. And I'd probably always rather listen to a live album than a studio album, if we're talking about the best live albums vs. the best studio albums. I mean music is a performing art and I'd rather hear performances than studio concoctions generally.

Harlem Square is better, but I think it's not nearly as great as a lot of people would tell you it is -- it's kind of a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am get in and get out quick perfuctory set with Sam not in great voice. There's the one moment where he does the minor key rubato gospel take on "You Send Me" that's electrifying. Not that the record's bad, but nothing else on it is electrifying like that. It's a good album, but I don't think it's the best of Cooke or the best of live soul records.

If you want to hear the best live Sam Cooke @A. Scrounger is 100% correct the '55 recording of Sam with the Stirrers at the Shrine in L.A. on that Specialty multi-act concert bill is far and away the best like Sam. (Probably his studio work with the Stirrers is the best studio Sam too -- there's no recordings in his secular canon equal to his "Jesus Wash Away My Troubles" or "Were You There?")

The Copa record? eh. Sam at his most deliberative and manner working very hard to please a big spending white middlebrow audience. Because it's Sam Cooke and him singing anything is pretty much better than almost any one else singing at their best, it's worth hearing, but it's a Sam Cooke record I find myself returning to almost only has an historical curiosity and extremely rarely.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    live evil, Izozeles and McLover like this.
  24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Personally I never liked that Marvin Gaye live album. The other three are excellent to my ears. None are better than James Brown Live at the Apollo, Live at the Apollo Vol. 2 and Live at the Apollo Vol. 3: Revolution of the Mind, which set the standard for live soul albums.

I'd also at too the list Ray Charles Live. A later archival release but JB's Love Power Peace. Areatha Live at the Fillmore West.

Man at C&A and florandia like this.
  25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I disagree. I think he's pretty ragged that night. I think there's a reason that sat unreleased for a long time. It's a great time capsule, and there's lot of energy in the room and Sam works it, but it's not Sam at his greatest in terms of the actual performance. Have you heard the '55 Shrine recording of Sam with the Stirrers? No less raw, much less ragged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.