What's your favorite Joan Armatrading album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by driverdrummer, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

I listened to her music for the first time today. I love her music! My favorite album of hers is Walk Under Ladders-a solid album of cool New Wave tunes. I love this song too:

2. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Her third album, Joan Armatrading; I was hooked from the first time I heard "Water With the Wine".

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I've got them all, but S/T is probably my favourite

4. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

show some emotion but by all means please checkout her latest "starlight" it is very jazz oriented style wise but classic joan and she plays every instrument and does some of the best drum programming i have ever heard.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I have to agree

6. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Wow, tough choice. Probably Walk Under Ladders, but they all have lovely material. "Down to Zero" in particular is such a great song.

7. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The Key

The MEZ likes this.
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Self-titled third album for me, but I really like Show Some Emotion too (those mid '70s Glyn Johns produced albums are also some of the best sounding rock records around). I also love the Steppin' Out live album from that era. There was also an early radio broadcast live set distributed on LP to radio stations that I have that I love. Really liked the How Cruel EP too but can't seem to locate my copy. Always like Back to the Night too -- some of my favorite material even if the production isn't quite up to snuff compared to the stuff that was to come.

9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Her albums sound so good!

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Seems a lot of us prefer her rock/new wave period. The Key is my favorite too.

11. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Favorites are the S/T and Show Some Emotion. Good sounding too.

The MEZ and kenbefound like this.
  12. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

My knee jerk reaction last year would have been Ladders. Then I spun it for the first time in ages and it sounded locked in the 80s. So S/T for me.

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Self titled and Show Some Emotion. It's a toss up depending on what year it is or mood I'm in.

The MEZ likes this.
  14. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Me Myself I, Secret Secret, my favorite song is Love By You of hers, and Joe Jackson on piano is great!

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  15. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Walk Under Ladders & The Key. Loved them in the eighties. I saw her live and she was wonderful.

16. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with many of her albums. I'v e had the S/T LP a long time, but recently got the CD reissue of Whatever's for Us. (Esoteric). It' doesn't make a great impression, but may need more plays.

17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I have the following on vinyl:

Joan Armatrading
    Me myself I
    The key
    Walk under ladders

Joan Armatrading
    is the best for me, over Me Myself I.

Down to zero
    Water With the wine
    Save Me
    Tall in the saddle, and of course
    Love and Affection.

Glyn Johns production at Olympic..

35 years or so on, the vinyl for all of them still sounds great.

18. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

"Whatever's For Us" - her first LP back in 1972 with Pam Nestor.

Richard

Sordel likes this.
  19. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Probably Show some emotion and the s/t 1976 album. But I also have a soft spot for To the limit and a more recent outing called Lovers speak. Not familiar with most of her more recent work though. It appears to have a much bluesier sound.

And that peculiar How cruel EP (4 songs on one side of a 12" record) is terrific too, but I don't consider that an album.

I agree that most of the 70s output also has great SQ - detailed yet punchy.

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Still think the Self Titled is best but Show Some Emotion is a close second. Also like the first album with Pam Nestor.

These are really well recorded (two by the great Glyn Johns). I find the later 'hit' albums hamstrung by 80s production style. Not listened to her more recent work at all though I have read critical praise for her last couple of releases.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

One of my wife's favourite albums. To be honest, it's the only Joan Armatrading that I've heard in any depth, so I don't think I get a vote, but it's a great (and overlooked) album which sounds very unlike (what I've heard of) her later work.

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, seems that way. She kind of lost me at that point. Saw her a couple of times in the late '70s and early '80 through the tour behind Walk Under Ladders, but The Key wound up being the last Armatrading album I purchased for many years. A year or so ago I went through some of her most recent work, and it didn't really knock me out....it's still the '75-'79 that I like best and return to as a listener.

TheVinylAddict and googlymoogly like this.
  23. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

I pretty much like everything from the first album up to The Key (1983) but if I had to pick a favorite that'd be Me Myself I. I found that LP in my dad's record collection which I confiscated some years ago. I played it out of curiosity and loved the heck out of it.

24. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Just thinking about this song:

"Mercy Mama" - Joan Armatrading, from Show Some Emotion, keyboards by Georgie Fame (I think...possibly).

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  25. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

TO THE LIMIT was my first JA record and I loved it and played it countless times, picked up Show some emotion later and that is arguably even better and the CD version sounds AMAZING - audiophile jewel and a must have - so it depends - now I vote SSE but before I'd say To The Limit. Best love songs this side of the pond .. Only Marvin + Diana or Barry White are even more touching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.