Any appreciation for Steve Hillage?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blackdograilroad, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident Thread Starter

.......so this bloke appeared on the Old Grey Whistle Test* in 1976 making this amazing spacy music with brilliant lead playing, a little jazzy, clearly Hendrix-influenced but very much his own sound, made some fantastic albums in the 70s, had a whole new career in dance as System 7 who are worth checking out...........the standouts for me are Fish Rising, L, Live Herald and Open.........anyone else?

*for anyone unfamiliar, late-night 70s British rock TV programme- pretty much the only one then....

2. old school

old school Senior Member

A must Steve Hillage album is
    [​IMG]

poolie, Deek57, unclesalty and 15 others like this.
  3. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

Definitely, both with Gong and some of his solo stuff (Fish Rising, L, Rainbow Dome Musick, Live Herald). I'm not a huge fan of his vocals (or the vocalist on the Khan LP), but the music's solid enough for me.

4. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Sure. One of my all time favorite guitar players. Can't say I like System 7 though. Just the '70s material for me. I have everything from him up to Open.

5. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Had the pleasure of seeing him live in a small venue.... a stunning guitarist, great albums too....still play Green quite often, have had it since the Seventies.

unclesalty and Front 242 Addict like this.
  6. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Hillage is one of my favourite guitarists both with Gong, and his own solo albums, Motivation Radio & Rainbow Dome Music being absolute faves. Never got on with System 7 stuff, Actually feel his music, spirit and energy are more necessary now than ever.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  7. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

A must Steve Hillage album is also

Steve Hillage was here the producer, but his sound is easy to find in this early Simple Minds album 'Sons and Fascination'. During these post-punk days the Simple Minds were really great. So no stadium rock here!

8. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Hillage is great. I think I started a thread about him here years ago. Personally, I prefer his solo material and Khan to most of Gong, although I think You is a really strong album.

9. progmog

progmog Senior Member

A big fan here, in all of his incarnations - Uriel/Arzachel, Khan, Gong, Steve Hillage Band, System 7, Mirror System - I love them all.

Enjoy....

10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think he has a very fluid and interesting style....and I love the work with Gong.

DJ LX and Front 242 Addict like this.
  11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I saw Steve open for Electric Light Orchestra at Madison Square Garden decades ago. I had all of his solo albums up to that point as well as Khan's Space Shanty (I should find a good CD of that), and the Gong Radio Gnome trilogy.
    His appearance on/as Clear Light Symphony was excellent also!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Neil certainly likes him...

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Great musician. I'm a big fan of Gong and have been enjoying some of their amazing live performances with Hillage this week. I like some of his solo stuff as well, particularly Fish Rising, though sometimes the new age, space hippie lyrics get to be a bit much. It's amazing that he managed to remain fairly popular through the punk years.

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I like 'Fish Rising' and 'L' enough, but the more song-based stuff from 'Motivation Radio' on just leaves me cold.

15. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

The title track from "And not or" is fantastic.

Cloudburst likes this.
  16. blackdograilroad

Just picked up a brand new vinyl reissue of Live Herald from eBay for £UK6.80 with free post. It lacks the studio material that was on side 4 of the original issue but sounds pretty good.

17. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i have L.... i like it more than fish.

however for a early awesome steve you need "arzachel". its wonderful. his playing is a lot more bluesy there,

Slim Zooms likes this.
  18. Love Steve Hillage. Khan's Space Shanty is a nice place to start, though the vocals are not great. Fish Rising is like Gong's You Part 2 and is excellent.

willy likes this.
  19. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

Hillage and/or Gong fans should be listing Paragong as well...
    [​IMG]

Front 242 Addict and pinkrudy like this.
  20. blackdograilroad

What do people think of the 1983 release For To Next? When I first heard it I thought What The F---- Is He Playing At but I'm giving it another listen at the moment. Hillage thinks it contains some of his best compositions.....

21. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

22. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I thought his singing ruined it. I love New Wave, but Steve is just not the right guy to sing it — his voice is just too weak.

23. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

Love the stuff with Gong, but haven't heard too many of his other projects.

24. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I love both 'For To Next' and its sister record 'And Not Or'. The only Hillage album that does nothing for me is 'Open'. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it is his worst album - too much funk for my liking.

poolie and Cloudburst like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.