Do You Actually Know any Well-Known Musicians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Loved his playing - I actually picked up a copy of PiL's 9 on vinyl earlier today. It would have been great seeing him in the reunited PiL - R.I.P.

blackg likes this.
  2. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Don't know how "well know" he is individually, but the group he was in was pretty big back in the day - Loggin's and Messina. My friend is their drummer, Merel Bregante. Plus, I know a few more indie artist in Texas that I count as friends and correspond with regularly.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

telepicker97 likes this.
  4. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

I used to call Richard D James when I did his VAT return.

ajsmith likes this.
  5. blackg

blackg Forum Resident

I have a copy of 9 on vinyl. It's a nice sounding album, sonically speaking.

Very detailed instrumentation, and a nice and spacious soundstage.

The bass playing is nice and funky too

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Don't know them now. But I went to (the equivalent) of High School with the lead singer of Depeche Mode. I went to college with Alison Moyet and Vince Clark.

ajsmith likes this.
  7. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

Back in the early '90s I worked for several years with Dave Sitek of TV on the Radio. This was at a community newspaper chain in Maryland -- I was a writer and he did photo scanning. This counts more as "knew" rather than "know," but I knew him pretty well -- and he still owes me around $1.25 for vending machine money I lent him.

8. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Jilted John was in my girlfriend's class at school. Spoke with him regularly back then. Seemed an aimiable sort. Also, the Human League's Neil Sutton has been to a few BBQ's at my place (a friend of a friend). Mixed with the stars, me....

Chris DeVoe and ajsmith like this.
  9. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Mike Tramp of White Lion

artfromtex and Juggsnelson like this.
  10. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

I know someone who played in a fairly big mid 80s band in the UK, had half a dozen top 40 hits (3 of them went top 3). And that's know as in been down the pub just the two of us.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  11. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

I consider Colin Tench, guitarist in Corvus Stone and many other bands and projects, to be a friend....stayed at his Swedish mansion, had him over at my place for a few beers, etc. great bloke. Used to be my Landlord in London in the 80's.

12. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

Eddie Grant was my landlord, bit weird to see him at our door when our cooker broke down one time.

13. mer de noms

mer de noms Active Member

Doesn't quite fit the brief as I've never met him but Keith Urban is my sister-in-law's first cousin.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    MikeInFla likes this.
  14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Knew them once but I wouldn't say now, it was years ago in high school... Went to high school with John Davis of Superdrag. I remember when GNR "Lies" came out we discussed what a change it was from Appetite. Travis Wyrick also went to my high school. At that time he was in a band called Sage (during the hair band era but they were more along the lines of Van Halen). Travis went on to produce Pillar, P.O.D., Disciple, etc. I graduated in 89 and haven't spoken to either since. So I knew them once but don't know them now!

15. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I've mentioned on here before who my neighbor is but as of right now, he has had his house up for sale and has some potential buyers. He's on tour right now supporting their latest release. Through him I also became friends with the singer who lives a short ride "up the road". My brother in law's best friend and to make a long story short, was the drummer in a famous band when I first met them all (the whole band had dinner at his house the day before they played in town). He's not in the band anymore, was replaced by the guitarist son. Can you guess who?

16. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Hung out with Ritchie Sambora in the early Eighties.

17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I know a few that are right on the fringe of noteriety. I once had the sister of John Lowery (John 5) from Marilyn Manson recording in my studio.

EDIT: I also traded guitars with the former lead guitar player from Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels. My 1969 Gold Top Les Paul Deluxe CS RI for his 1959 ES 335 Fat Neck VOS CS RI. We are pretty good friends.

18. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

I'm Spartacus.

20. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

In his later guise as John Shuttleworth my friends do his website and his mail order stuff. I've met him several times, he's a huge personality.

royzak2000 likes this.
  21. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

After reading the first 3 pages of this thread, I have concluded
    that generally speaking, we don't know any famous musicians.

22. telepicker97

So you lived on Electric Avenue??

23. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

That was my conclusion. Maybe some people are not willing to name names because the posts of members at this forum dictates the direction of the music industry. It's good to yield such gret power!

telepicker97 likes this.
  24. telepicker97

Speak for yourself.

My band has opened for :
    Florida/Georgia Line
    Jackyl
    Blackberry Smoke
    Tedeschi-Trucks Band
    Shinedown
    Chris Robinson Brotherhood
    North Mississippi AllStars

And we've played at festivals with all kinds of people - too many to name. I've met a bunch and have a bunch in facebook.

Oh, and my best friend is married to Paul Jackson's cousin (From Blackberry Smoke), through them I've met and hung out with Zac Brown and Clay Cook. I'm pretty good friends with Daryl Hance from Mofro, and the Steepwater Band guys (Eric used to be in Healing Sixes with Jason Bonham)...

Playing a show with Lightnin Malcolm from NMAS this Fri...

So I guess it depends on what your definition of 'know' is, ya know??

bhazen and seed_drill like this.
  25. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

Haha! No afraid not, I live in North London although whenever I hear that song/walk by Brixton I smile affectionately. As it happens my current landlord, (completely by coincidence) is a former band mate from The Equals so seems like they invested in property north of the river.

MikeInFla and telepicker97 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.