Star Trek Continues (the series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JRM, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I enjoy the fan episodes that James Cawley has done, along with the newest Star Trek Continues episodes. All very well done. Here is another that is enjoyable, Starship Farragut. Fast forward to about 1:20. Nice use of the background music and effects from the Animated Series.

JRM likes this.
  2. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Kirk" and Uhura at PhoenixComiCon yesterday...

[​IMG]

3. JRM

Three days until Episode IV!

[​IMG]

Jerry Horne, Royce and MikeInFla like this.
  4. MikeInFla

Awesome, can't wait! Love these episodes!

JRM and Royce like this.
  5. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Me Too! :)
    I'm as excited about this as I was the original series when I was a kid. (really)

MikeInFla and JRM like this.
  6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The latest episode has been pulled from Youtube due to STC using a screen grab from the original series.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

*really* - for a screen grab(?) - I thought CBS/etc was somewhat supportive of these various fan made series - at least as a way to keep people interested in Star Trek between movies coming out - seems pretty petty - can someone just quickly edit out the offending few seconds (if that) of footage and re-upload it (maybe they already have....)

8. JRM

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You don't know the copyright nazis very well do you? :) They're much worse that patent trolls.

10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I enjoyed 4. The guy playing Spock has picked up his game substantially.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Haven't seen it yet, but that's good to hear. He was pretty terrible in EP1 but has steadily improved over the following episodes (was going to say seasons, LOL). Is Grant Imahara still hamming it up? He really was embarrassing.

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

13. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I hadn't seen these..... it's amazing how they've replicated the shots/style of the animated series. I was chuckling a bit when I looked at these because they went out of their way to make these exact, including the cheap aspects of the original animation. But that's exactly the way it should be. Excellent job.

JRM and MikeInFla like this.
  14. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

The one thing they don't get quite right is the sound design. I can't put my finger on why, but it's like the sound is too "quiet" and sort of amateur sounding compared to the forceful directness of the original series' sound.
    It's a very minor nitpick since I'm incredibly impressed by STC overall!

15. MikeInFla

Yes, even down to the sound effects and music. It was quite amusing, they have several episodes and they are all as enjoyable as the animated TOS.

As for "White Iris" now the link for Vimeo has been pulled as well so no luck there either!

16. JRM

Strange, this link still working for me...

MikeInFla likes this.
  17. MikeInFla

Strange, they pulled THAT video and not this one?? Clearly YouTube and not CBS behind it.

18. MikeInFla

Oh thanks! It must be the link from the startrekcontinues.com website that doesn't work then. Caching to my iPod now, will watch when I hit the fitness center this afternoon. Cool, thanks!

19. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

I just watched the new Star Trek movies. They were pretty cool. I hope they make a 3rd one.

20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

YouTube automatically scans everything submitted for copyright infringement. I uploaded a video and within five minutes they had dinged it a dozen times for using 80 year old jazz songs that had claims against them.

I'm not surprised that they can now do the same for video.

21. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Filming In vancouver now

22. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

Good. These new Star Trek movies are fun to watch. I wonder when Captain Jean Luc Picard shows up?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Visually, one thing they're getting wrong on the re-created shows is the lighting. The original Star Trek (through longtime DP Gerry Perry Finnerman) was known for its use of shadows in the background, and the new version is lit much too flat and bright. This would be a snap to fix or at least improve in post, and I'm surprised they don't work on this more. This is fixable, and it's more a consideration of time than money.

The acting and stuff... you gotta just shrug and say, "hey, it's a bunch of nutty fans," and I try to cut them some slack. Though some of it definitely veers towards parody.

Just to be a stickler, not much is filmed anymore -- it all be digital. I believe they're shooting on Red Epic, unless I'm mistaken. (Tech specs are not up on IMDB, so I'm just guessing.)

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Saw the new ep (4).

The positives include (as before) authentic sets, lighting and sound effects. The space shots are also excellent and the look of the Enterprise is, IMO, much better done than the official TOS Remastered series. Capt Kirk is a masterful carbon-copy* of the original, from the mannerisms, posture, body shape, walk, the way he sits or lays on the bed (with one leg upright, bent at the knee).

The Spock character was much improved. Scotty is becoming more and more Scotty like. Even Chekov had a realistically fake Russian accent!

The negatives include the Bones character who doesn't look like Bones or sound like him. Same for Uhura. Then there's the script which was pretty weak (took me a long time to figure out who the apparitions were supposed to be). But, I guess you can level the weak script charge at the majority of the TOS episodes too...

* Mignogna's impersanation is so good that it's a little jarring to hear him speak in a high pitched, nasally, girly-man voice! :)

25. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Vidiot, what is your take on the sound design?

I actually think the lighting and use of shadows, and all the other visual aspects are very convincing - or at least light years beyond any "fan film" I've ever seen. But something about the sound mix just sounds sort of amateur, and lacks the bite of the original soundtrack - and that's mainly referring to the sound of dialog and ambience. Do they just need to add a little distortion and compression?

Wonderful series overall!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.