Why do punk rockers tend to hate the Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

'They' talk a lot, don't 'they'??

2. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

because they are meandering boring old blokes

that's their perspective

3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Not all punkers hate the Dead. The ones who do hate them because they have lead guitar, keyboards, and songs that are over 3 minutes long.

telepicker97 likes this.
  4. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

You mean the hippies?

5. telepicker97

So, it's envy??

Folknik likes this.
  6. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

More of an attitude

7. telepicker97

I don't know. You're the one who posted "Hippie chicks did not shave their underarms and wore patchouli oil they used to say.".

8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If it was as simple as that then punk rock would have lead guitar, keyboards and songs that are longer than 3 minutes long.

9. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

dsky, jay.dee and jimod99 like this.
  10. Deadheads were a safe haven during the '76/'77 first wave, whereas members of the general public would give you grief and sometimes get violent, Deadheads were always safe, very accepting and open. Any animosity came from watered down (mis)understandings of those who came later.

telepicker97 likes this.
  11. telepicker97

Yeah, but you gotta know how to play your instruments AND how to write a song.

Which makes it 'not punk' if you work at your craft and, you know...care.

12. Punk's Not Dead!
    Punks, not Dead.
    Punk Snot Dead.

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Though many of them started off as amateurs in '77, plenty of the punks knew how to play their instruments and craft compelling songs. The great bands to emerge out of the punk explosion certainly cared about their music and evolved beyond the original rough & ready ethos of Year Zero.

14. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

Not only that, but the very early Dead had a punk edge as well, especially when Pigpen was fronting them. Had the band not gotten the Warner Bros. contract, their 1966 recordings would probably have become cult favorites amongst garage band aficionados.

As a big fan of the old Mindrocker and Pebbles anthology series (not to mention the Bomp/Voxx stuff), the sound of these recordings was right up my alley:

15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I don't know how you define "the first true punk rockers," but the Ramones were pushing thirty already when they put out their first album. Just for comparison, Johnny Ramone was a mere one year younger than Bob Weir. No generation gap there!

rockinlazys and jay.dee like this.
  16. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The Stranglers are one of those bands that I refer to as just slightly too old to fit well in the "punk" category. Jet Black was pushing 40 in their late 70s heyday. Before the band formed they all had experience playing in jazz and blues bands.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  17. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

I do not understand your comment on who talks a lot since you said or asked if they talk a lot? The girls I knew in my description were real.

18. sfp

sfp Forum Resident

It's as much to do with the fans as anything. Punks and deadheads came from the same place (white, middle class, teenage, alienated). The dislike came about because the two camps knew each other. Punks did not, by and large, hate hip hop, which came, at least at first, from a totally different milieu.

That's my theory, anyway.

19. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I never said that there was a fine line where everything changed. There is always some bleed over across eras. It's all about increments. There's a case to be made that The Troggs and The Stooges were also punks, and if Patti Smith and Iggy Pop, then why not Jim Morrison?

20. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

not hatred, just find them boring, esp the guitar solos

21. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Punk in the uk, like Modernism, was very much a working class thing.

royzak2000 and Isaac K. like this.
  22. Moontrekker

Moontrekker Active Member

The Grateful Dead have always been virtually ignored in the UK. I doubt whether many of the original UK punks had even heard any of their music.

23. telepicker97

You must have never seen Pulp Fiction.

Uma Thurman :
    'Who said'?

'"They'"

'Hmmm..."They" talk a lot, don't "they"??

As in, "Hippie chicks did not shave their underarms and wore patchouli oil 'they' used to say."

"They" talk a lot, don't "they".

It's colloquial, I suppose...but that mysterious and unknown 'they' can always be modified.

'WHO said that!'

No, THEY said that about the Dead, not the Who.

Who?? Them??

No - The Dead!!

Get it yet??

jerrygene likes this.
  24. telepicker97

The Kinks were punks.

Hell, the Beatles in Hamburg were punk.

25. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

Jet Black was certainly somewhat overaged for a punk musician! They may have had prior musical experience, but so had a lot of other punk musicians. And in their early days, the Stranglers certainly had the punk attitude and the songs to match. (I saw them about a dozen times in 77/78, and usually stood out like a sore thumb among all the punks in the audience as I was about 27/28 at the time and not wearing punky clothes).

Isaac K. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.