Do You Actually Know any Well-Known Musicians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

That's awesome - glad they are doing well!!

2. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Hey folks...we have winner !!!

3. telepicker97

Let's not get carried away now ;)

gkella likes this.
  4. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I love his Shuttleworth stuff. Kept the wife & I entertained on many a long drive. Nice gentle, old-fashioned humour.

5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

He was at The 100 hundred club a couple of years ago, a great bloke and a great night.

6. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Pretty sure B.B. King was my dad

gd0, Rockos, SoporJoe and 1 other person like this.
  7. telepicker97

You and everyone else, all the sudden ;)

But did you conspire to have him killed??

MikeInFla and nbakid2000 like this.
  8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Several, but mostly of the cult hero variety. I suppose James and Marty from the Shins would be the best known.

9. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Over the years, I have heard (and possibly experienced) a few funny and/or sad stories about people who felt they were buddies with a well-known musician and then discovered they had over-estimated the closeness of the relationship :) "Sorry, who are you?"

10. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Can't believe it took almost 2 hours for someone to make that joke!

Nick Dunning and telepicker97 like this.
  11. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Any The Fall connection? :)

12. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

I know Vanessa Daou (though I've never actually met her in person.) Way back in the day, I had created a fan site for her and her music, called Sunday Afternoons. One day I came home to find an answering machine message (yeah, it was that long ago! - 15 years or so.) It was her and her husband calling me! A relative of her husband (Peter Daou - famous producer and keyboardist), had discovered the fan site and let them know of it's existence. They were so impressed they called me! (I'm an artist, so I had a personal site, which was linked on the fan site, and my phone number was on the personal site.) And that started it all! Vanessa is rather shy, so I spoke with her a few times on the phone, but it was usually Peter who would call me, or I'd call him every once in a while. I'm an artist so I did a short online graphic novel strip for/with them during a promotional period for her Plutonium Glow album. At one point the plan was for them to fly me up to NY to meet them, but that fell through at the last moment, and it never happened. :cry: They ended up divorcing (amicably.) Peter headed into politics, and with Vanessa being shy, after a while we all talked less. I still have her phone number, so I could give her a ring if I wanted to (and I did eh, maybe seven or so years ago - we had a nice, but short conversation), but I'd rather not bother her years later. Still, it was a wonderful connection while it lasted, and I'm still a huge fan of her music!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

14. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I rented studio space from an original member of Joe King Carrasco and the Crowns. He would come over and hang w us on smoke breaks. Nice guy.

Austin is pretty cool for having casual conversations with musicians but I wouldn't call any of those more than acquaintances.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I knew bunch of guys back in the day from gigging. Used to be friends with all the guys in Pantera, hung out with Glenn Benton of Deicide and so on. Lots of good friends back then, but now? I doubt any of them would really remember me, but maybe they would. To the point of the OP: no.

16. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Was the chain The Gazette? (I worked there as an editor, and wrote record reviews.)

I know a bunch of indie rock guys (who are huge in my life, musically, if not huge in general) who know me and say "hi" when we run into/play with each other. Of those, I socialize with two, schedules permitting (one lives in the UK but visits occasionally and my band opens for his band occasionally; the other lives here but, well, we're busy). And now that I'm typing this, it just seems weird to call them out. I've discussed a couple of 'em on threads about their respective bands, where it makes sense. Most people are cool, and I often think I stick with my band for social reasons (i.e., I've made so many great friends, "famous" or not) as much as for any other. -E

17. Nudge nudge!

telepicker97 likes this.
  18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Alan White (John Lennon, Yes, etc.) lives literally just up the street from me. We've played together a couple of times, and chat when I run into him at the grocer's.

I'm longtime friends with Robert Henrit (Argent, the Kinks, etc.); we met in Iain Matthews' band in 1983 or so.

Though I haven't seen him in yonks, I hope Peter Noone remembers me fondly (I was in a band backing him for NW gigs in the '90s.)

Same with Phil May and Dick Taylor of the Pretty Things, with whom I sat in a couple times in the '80s; good blokes.

I just did a gig with pal Roger Fisher recently; I've known the original Heart crew since the '70s.

Jeff Pilson (Dokken, Foreigner) is a old friend.

Larry Parypa and Freddie Dennis (Sonics, Kingsmen, etc.) are old friends and bandmates.

After the coffee works its magic, some others may occur to me ...

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    ramdom, hominy, Paul P. and 4 others like this.
  19. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

There's one in Alhambra too. Probably lots of them. Anyway, yes to the question in general. Bill Medley was my friend's boss. That goes with the landlord theme....

KaptKopter likes this.
  20. Outlaw Country

Outlaw Country Member

I have an aunt who's good friends with Travis Tritt which allowed us an opportunity to meet him and attend one of his shows before he made it big. He sent us an autographed copy of his demo album on vinyl that led to him getting his contract with Warner Brothers.

Another friend of mine, owns a local record shop in town and he's really good friends with Patterson Hood from the Drive By Truckers, he really has some great stories to share.

21. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Is he still romancing the stone on electric avenue? ;)

Rockos likes this.
  22. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Nope. We're all nobodies 'round here.

Steve G likes this.
  23. It's probably more like that kid at school who really did have a girlfriend, but she goes to a school across town/lives in a different city so no, you wouldn't have seen her.

Abbagold, nbakid2000 and GodShifter like this.
  24. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I've made the acquaintance of a bunch of well-known musicians passing from shows i've played and worked at, and some who have even surprised me by remembering me, but I consider Bill Janovitz (Buffalo Tom) and Mark Trojanowski (Sister Hazel) as friends.

25. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Did you live on Electric Ave?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.