1950s studio question: how often did engineers clean the machine heads?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by .crystalised., Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

Were there blank tape brands that ended up being better in long term storage than others? Or were they ll about the same. I guess 3m was the biggie manufacturer?

2. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I inherited a bunch of vintage reels, different brands. Scotch and BASF seem to have survived the journey of time. Kodak? Not so much.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  3. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

Did EMI produce their own tape or was it contracted out?

4. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

EMI made their tape at Hayes
    In the 60s we cleaned heads , transport guides , pinch wheel ,capstan, every shift or when they were dirty
    We also lined up every shift,replay level ,bias ,record level and de maged when appropriate
    It was an essential industrial process,valves were changed regularly,the kit was always on
    Signal paths were long noisey and complicated.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In the USA, Scotch/3M, Soundcraft, and Audiotape were the dominant brands of tape in that era.

6. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I use the little alcohol swabs that diabetics use when they give themselves injections. Cheap and perfect for the job. You can get them at the drug store.

.crystalised. likes this.
  7. Deke Dickerson

Deke Dickerson Forum Resident

A reply to this thread, with a couple of points I feel I can chime in on:

1. Tape manufactured before the Endangered Species Act of 1972 generally has no sticky shed. Whale oil, which was covered under the Endangered Species Act, was the magic lubricating ingredient and tape formulations like Scotch 111 that used whale oil will be playing fine 100 years from now. Some of the cheaper tapes from the early era were not lubricated on both sides and that can cause a problem, but generally, the sticky shed phenomenon only happens on tapes manufactured after the whale oil ban of 1972.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endangered_Species_Act

2. Back in the 1950's and 1960's, carbon tetrachloride was what Ampex and other companies sold to clean their heads and tape paths on their tape recorders. The stuff worked like magic--I've got a few old bottles and one swipe will wipe away a bunch of sticky shed like one of those old Bounty paper towel ads from the 1980s--but it was also really, really, really, noxious. The fumes would kill you if you didn't have the studio windows open. In fact, there is a famous story about how Nashville became the epicenter for country music recording instead of Dallas--the story is centered around the death of Dallas studio owner Jim Beck after he inhaled too much tape head cleaner in 1956. His studio closed, and the majority of the major labels began recording in Nashville after his death. Interesting side note how this sort of thing can affect history:

http://res.dallasnews.com/interactives/country-dallas/

Here's a link to that evil chemical carbon tetrachloride. Boy, it's evil....but it also works GREAT for the intended purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tetrachloride

3. Regarding head demagnetization, the Ampex manuals had step by step instructions on how to demag heads from the beginning, so I'm assuming that they thought it was fairly important. I've got a collection of 1950's head demagnetizers and the RCA ones, which are more like a magic wand with a button, are the bee's knees.

4. Regarding alignment of machines, I think especially in the tube era those engineers aligned their machines constantly. There is an interview with the great Bill Porter (Roy Orbison, Elvis, the Everly Brothers, etc etc) where he mentions that he wasn't any kind of genius, he merely obsessed on making sure his equipment was running correctly all the time, including aligning the tape machines. What I find interesting is that Ampex's tube machines seem to need to be biased and aligned all the time, whereas the later solid state machines (AG-350, AG-440, etc) once you get them aligned and biased, if you don't move them in a van during the interim, will pretty much stay that way for years at a time.

Hope this helps "shed" a little light on this subject....ha ha

Deke

Vidiot and Ghostworld like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ampex tubed machines had no means for adjusting bias and aligning heads.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, this settles it. Bring back whaling and carbon tetrachloride!

10. Deke Dickerson

Chadbang--

You know, I've had a lifetime of sorting out mixed feelings about things like this. I certainly wouldn't ever want to bring BACK whaling or carbon tetrachloride, BUT....there's no changing the fact that they manufactured a lot of good tape before 1972 that's still good today. If I find unopened reels of Scotch 111 I'm gonna use 'em.

And I've got a bottle of Ampex head cleaner, pure carbon tetrachloride, that I occasionally will use when things need a real cleaning. It works better than ANYTHING else. I just make sure the windows are open and I only have the bottle uncapped for 5 minutes. I throw away the swabs after I'm done and put them outside so I don't have a trash can full of tetrachloride swabs in my studio. Again, I wouldn't ever advocate them making the stuff again, but there's tons of the old 50's stuff laying around, still available....

Deke

11. Deke Dickerson

Steve--

Of course, I defer to your knowledge and experience. I'm a complete nobody here....a nobody with a lifelong interest in the recording methods of the past. I've always been blown away by the quality of your remastering jobs, and prefer your work over anybody else in the business! However, I'm a little confused by your blanket statement that "Ampex tubed machines had no means for adjusting bias and aligning heads." I'm sure that we must be talking about slightly different things. Perhaps you can educate me on what you're referring to, since all I have are my Ampex machines and manuals here at my house. I am certainly not challenging your expertise in such matters, I'm just asking for some education and enlightenment here--

Here's the Ampex 350 manual section on bias adjustment:
    https://flic.kr/p/toBc7b

and a photo of the bias control set screw on the back of a 350 electronics:
    https://flic.kr/p/toAYFQ

Here's the Ampex 350 manual pages on Record head alignment, and Playback head alignment:
    https://flic.kr/p/tFcGax
    https://flic.kr/p/toBDXq

Help me out, I'm confused here....

Thanks,
    Deke

12. Steve Hoffman

Don't be confused. Ever been to a session, mixing, recording or mastering, in analog? Remember in the 1970's or 80s using a modern machine (like an ATR 100) the way one could adjust anything on the fly, tone reels and all of that during a session? Couldn't do that on an old Ampex. Of course you could adjust stuff but it was very time consuming and the machine would usually be out of commission during this process, not sitting hot in the studio while the musicians were patiently waiting and the clock was ticking.

There was nothing to adjust during a session, only head cleaning and possibly demaging. Besides, there was no need to do any of that during a session, bias was fixed for 111 or Audionote, etc. equiv. and heads were rock solid in place. My 1959 Ampex 351-2-P is still in perfect alignment from 1994. Those machines were built to be adjusted once, and used, not fiddled with constantly. Heck that's why there are no set up tones on 1950's and early 1960's master tapes. Not needed, everything was standard, from machine to machine, from studio to studio. Of course that all changed but back then, it was so.

The FRiNgE and Mister Charlie like this.
  13. Deke Dickerson

Steve--

Thanks for the clarification. You are of course correct in what you are saying.

My problem is, I don't think like modern guys. I think like the old guys and I don't like modern equipment, so therein lies the confusion. Whenever I do a session with the old tube gear, I obsessively clean/demag/align everything beforehand to try and avoid the sort of delays you're referring to. Of course, when you're dealing with 50-year old stuff, there's always that tube that decides to start making noise or the capacitor/resistor that WAS fine on the last session, but decides to blow when there are a room full of musicians ready to play...

Thank you and I hope my last query did not come off as obnoxious.

Deke

14. Steve Hoffman

ampxtapx.jpg
    Deke,

I straddle both worlds (obviously). I use old tube machines when I want that "sound" but I've found that on old master tapes, too much of that sound in playback can turn the sonics to sludge (sometimes) so I use modern (well, 80's) machines as well, mostly the Ampex ATR 100 series of machines for neutral playback. But as I've said, I've MRL'd my Ampex 351 and not only is it still aligned but everything else seems to be in stone as well, and this is a 56 year old machine. I am in awe of it..

15. Steve Hoffman

My old Ampex four track from United/Western. I miss it. Sold it, wasn't using it enough.. ampex 300.jpg

The FRiNgE and Mister Charlie like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Wait, are you the real Deke Dickerson? If so, a big fan..

17. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I use the little alcohol pads that you would use to give yourself a shot. They're very handy. You can get them at the drug store.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. Deke Dickerson

Steve--

I think there's only one Deke Dickerson. If there's another, there must be some guy collecting all those million dollar royalty checks I never received....ha ha

I have a mono 351, same era as yours, and it "drifts." I have to bias and align it every time I use it. It drifted before I got the caps and tubes replaced and it drifts after the caps and tubes were replaced. I wonder why yours would stay rock solid and mine drifts? Blue card/grey card difference, or perhaps just your machine is in better shape with less hours than mine? That being said, when I get it going, it plays back FLAT to 20K, which as you say, is quite impressive for a 50+ year old tube machine...

On the other hand, I have an AG-350-2 for stereo playback, and I NEVER have to adjust it. Every time I check it, it's just--bam--rock solid, as you say. It was made in 1965. That's impressive.

"The Real" Deke

Vidiot and Mister Charlie like this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Ah, it's you, great. Sometimes people use names here of musicians instead of their real name, you know like "McCartney Fan" or Springsteen '75 or something. I thought maybe a fan used your name...

Interesting about drift. Maybe I just got lucky with mine, not sure but I got it at Coast and it didn't have many hours on it, that's for sure, the heads were practically unused...

My Ampex 440-2 and 4 are great machines as well, not tubed but very nice sounding (if not pushed too hard) and they also keep their alignment, bias, etc.. Though by this time Ampex made it easy to adjust everything, I've only had to do it once in 18 years...

Deke Dickerson likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Those can work.

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Deke! Good to see you here, man!

22. Deke Dickerson

Thanks, action pact!

23. George B.

George B. Well-Known Member

Deke!

I couldn't get into the thread you used the other day - so I started a "Conversation" with you yesterday on this forum. It's the only way I could think of to get a hold of you and respond to your kind comments and questions! See you there.

George
    www.GuitarsInSync.com
    Music in the Les Paul and Mary Ford Tradition

Deke Dickerson likes this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

found this on the tube, an old film looking into the history of ampex. interesting to see the assembly line towards the end
    of how the tape recorder was assembled.

The FRiNgE, MrRom92 and showtaper like this.
  25. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Now this is great, definitely not the common old PD films on audio that get trotted out again and again. Can't wait to give this a good viewing, or 12. Thanks!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.