New Steven Wilson album in the making: "Hand. Cannot. Erase." 3/2/15

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

I agree that the album version can be a bit like not really going anywhere but this track worked really well live IMO in Helsinki at least.

2. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

This was my first impression as well. The first 5-6 minutes always strucked me as totally fantastic and still does. However the last 6-7 minutes i thought was a bit repetitive without adding much. However, for each listen to the album (and this one has to be listened through all the way every time) the last part of the song gets better and better andto me seems shorter and shorter (a good sign).

And last Friday I saw them live in Stockholm and the end section of this song really smoked.

Rufus McDufus, denesis and jkoponen like this.
  3. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

remixing the first roxy music is very good news.
    i would love to see him remix Roger Chapman's Family as well.
    Bandstand has been reissued recently for the 40th anniversary

4. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

I'm fairly new to Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree, was introduced due to my love of King Crimson

Hand Cannot Erase is the first album of his I've listened to start to finish, and holy ****, I've never had an album make me openly weep in its final moments. The concept, the lyrics and most importantly, the music hit me so hard.

Incredible, can't wait to give it many more listens and it makes me very excited at the prospect of delving backwards into SW's career

EDIT: I lied, I was definitely brought to tears the first time I heard Close to the Edge by Yes

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It didn't bring me to tears, but it's brilliant. For me, the most touching track is "Perfect Life".

fredhammersmith likes this.
  6. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

It's certainly one of the more emotional pieces of music I've heard in a long time.
    Perfect Life, Happy Returns, Last Regret, and the soundscape in Ascendent Here On....riveting. These upcoming Live shows should be an emotional roller coaster.

marblesmike and Rufus McDufus like this.
  7. Renz

Renz Forum Resident

He's not to be missed live. Saw him in Milan and the show was stunning! You won't be disappointed.

8. Nachosgrande

Nachosgrande New Member

Another tear jerker by SW - title track and last song of The Raven That Refused to Sing

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Didn't do much for me. Time for some hard edged kick ass album.

Finch Platte likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Neat album.

However ... track 9 (I think; only have a CDR) is amazing; SW seems to be channeling some "Larks' Tongues In Aspic". Fierce!

11. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Mij Retrac likes this.
  12. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

After hearing some of the last album, I bought the CD version at CDJapan. I started with Porcupine Tree a lot of years back and then buy one to one his solo work from Insurgentes to The Raven.
    All his solo albums are great. I like a lot "Grace For drowing". I saw him in concert on tour with Grace For Drowing ... an experience from another world. Although I started with Porcupine Tree long before Wilson began his solo career, seems to me much more interesting his recent work outside the PT. It is much more stylized and surprising.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  13. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

It keep growing on me as does all of his and PT's music. Gets better and better. Going to see him this Friday in Anaheim and on Saturday in LA as well. A double dose!

I. Cannot. Resist. [Nor do I wish to]

warp2600 likes this.
  14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Same thing just happened to me yesterday, only I was at work AND it was the first time I heard the album via a CD rip. I got a lump in my throat and found myself completely moved but I wasn't entirely sure why as I was trying to work at the same time and I hadn't familiarized myself with all the lyrics yet. I was stunned to find out about the "true story" nature of the concept but what really brought it home for me is that I knew a girl who was found dead in her apartment at the age of 20; she was found several days after she had died, like the protagonist on the album. It's kind of haunted me for 25 years now. So earlier this morning, I ordered the vinyl LP from Amazon and will be listening attentively from start to finish at home this weekend. I liked SW's past couple of releases and I've been a PT fan since his Delirium label days of the early 90s, but this was the first time his music hit me with such emotional force...in a public place no less.

15. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I too knew someone who died in an apartment and wasn't found for many days, two weeks IIRC. I still think about him and this album has brought those memories back.

16. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

17. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I think so far this THE album of the year.......

18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

And I thought it was odd when I felt this way after seeing the Perfect Life video pre-album-release. When the deluxe edition was dropped on my doorstep, I took it in the way it was meant to be, 5.1 with the accompanying images and I felt the same emotions. What a remarkable album.

Meurgley and Barnabas Collins like this.
  19. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Just returned home from the Anaheim show and am happy to report that SW and Band are firing on all cylinders!

20. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Is the CD mastering OK? It is on sale near my office, but I usually download in hires from the Burning Shed site.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It sounds perfectly fine.

22. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

CD sounds good, but I feel the 24/96 (ripped my Blu-ray) has a bit more air and attack in "Happy Returns."

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They are the same mastering, but the Hi-Res will have the advantage.

Starwanderer and JediJoker like this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

And a great mastering it is!

danielbravo and JediJoker like this.
  25. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Steve Wilson is such an amazing musician/producer/mixer/chef d'orchestre. When did we see a prog album in the Top 5 of the metacritic reviews for the year?
    Very cinematographic album. Hope it stays good with repeated listens.
    The female singer is quite good, love her "timbre" and her phrasé. Is she known in any way?

danielbravo and JediJoker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.