Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mikeyt, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

So there's minimal CGI (cept for things like the dust storm, etc) but the production budget is apparently about $150m. I wonder how much of that got eated by destroying all those vehicles in the desert ...

--Geoff

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

As a quick aside, I find the character arc of Two Face in The Dark Knight (2008) maddening. In my opinion no matter how well Eckhart acted it, he didn't have a chance. His development from good to bad to dead was so compressed, so quick, it was emotionally unbelievable.

Hawklord and macdaddysinfo like this.
  3. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

98% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes! Sounds like a winner to me I have a 3D TV at home so I'll be buying the BR3D later this year.
    I'm going to see it 2D tomorrow with the wife.
    Anything with Charlize Theron is on my radar, what a babe.

4. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Well it took a long time to get made. It had to go on hold in Australia first time they wanted to begin shooting because of rain (nice and green) then when they came back the next year it was still green. So then they had to shift everything to Africa to shoot.

I bet that ate up a good chunk.

5. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

finally got to check this out last night. wow, what a ride :). i think this movie is revolutionary to the action genre. i've enjoyed several of the superhero action movies but it was nice to see an action movie where none of the lead characters were a CGI creation.

6. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

It sure looks like a lot of CGI on the previews. If they actually built actual representations of those vehicles, that's great. Looks a little like Transformers to me though. In fact, I don't believe that those explosions and crashes wouldn't be CGI, but maybe that's just my cynical suspicious nature.

7. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

The vehicles (well over 100 of them in the film) are all real, functioning machines.

8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was very surprised to see that the guys up on the poles were real. I thought for sure that those were done digitally.

Hutch likes this.
  9. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

For a film with "minimal CGI", they sure went out of their way to make it look and feel like a video game. So why bother?

In MAD MAX 2, when characters --especially Max-- were involved in a crash or whatever, they'd actually get badly injured.
    Most of the weightless disposable characters in this movie never seemed to feel any real physical discomfort from anything unless they were flat-out dead.

The speed and actions of everything in this movie might've seemed a little more plausible if it was suggested somewhere that that planet had a slightly lessened gravitational pull.

captainsolo and Hutch like this.
  10. Benefactor

I can't help but find people critiquing this film as being "not realistic enough" pretty hilarious.

11. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I can't help but find people appreciating this film as being "a great installment in the Mad Max series" pretty gullible.

12. Benefactor

Not only great, but possibly the best film in the franchise on a bunch of levels.

Pass me the Kool Aid!

SBurke and altaeria like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't know about that, but I do find the praise for the movie perplexing. People seem to cheer the fact it's an all-action/minimal-plot movie with thinly-developed characters - yet people complain about those movies when made by other directors.

I can't figure out how "MM:FR" is somehow different from all those other hyperactive action flicks. Because it uses less CG? :confused:

captainsolo and altaeria like this.
  14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

You clearly don't understand the meaning of the word "gullible".

Perhaps you mean, "have a different appreciation of the film than you".

John K.

15. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Oh, no. I literally meant gullible.
    ;)

16. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i think that's part of it. but in the overall scheme, it's artistic entertainment - you see it, you like it. the reasons why don't matter that much.

17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Miller is a textbook director of how to set up, extend tension and then pay off a scene or a theme, whether it’s one of the extended chase sequences that make you think that you’re an amusement park, going from ride to ride, or the emotional and largely wordless encounters that give the movie some emotional heft. Other directors and their mindless action films often fail at these qualities. Often not even trying.

SteveM, Deesky and thegage like this.
  18. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

My wife suggested we see it so we did. I found it a tremendously entertaining action film and quite the visceral thrill with just enough high-concept sci-fi (politics of gas/water, breast milk, feminism, suicide warriors, skinheads, environmentalism) to keep that section of my brain engaged while my animal brain OD'd.

It is basically a Western where our reluctant hero (man w/ no name) helps the good guys get from point A to point B and back. So the bones are good and then Miller throws on all the outrageous stuff like the guitar player with fire shooting out of his axe and the "polecats." 2D was great.

SBurke, Pete Puma, mikeyt and 2 others like this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just got back from seeing it, and I think I agree. Will need some time to really be ablt to say that. Road Warrior was easily the best of the first three, but I think this might have bettered that. Loved every second!

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

So you mean that people who enjoy the film are easily fooled? That's like saying that if someone likes jazz music and you don't then that person is gullible. That makes no sense.

John K.

Deesky and altaeria like this.
  21. So you didn't like it?

22. Which really sets this apart from The Fast And Furious type of movie which include CGI effects that actually insult my intelligence.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Guess I don't see it the same way you do. What you view as "textbook", I see as a movie that makes little sense and that just throws one outlandish action scene at us after another without any real heart/consistency behind it. I didn't care about the characters and didn't find the action to deliver excitement, tension or much of anything else. It just felt like BAM BAM BAM for two hours.

Oh, and Miller really looks to zooooooom in that camera! That got old after about the 300th zoom. Maybe zoooooooom is better than incessant shakycam or cameras that spin around the subject, but it didn't work for me... :shrug:

Hutch, dave9199, mikeyt and 1 other person like this.
  24. Oatsdad

So it's okay for "MM:FR" to be brainless entertainment but not "Fast and the Furious" or whatever? I guess others see a difference between Miller's "textbook" direction and the work of others, but I don't. It's cool that "MM:FR" doesn't rely on much CG, but I'll have to continue to disagree with those who find greater skill or depth in "MM:FR"...

25. All pretty obvious to me and no you don't need to see the previous movies to 'get it' 'cause this one stands alone (Max's family tragedy is revealed in the beginning of this movie).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.