The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

So the sound is not great from the existing CDs?

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Nice-sounding CD, and that's a nice photo of Frank in the Capitol Tower studios. But the photo has no relationship to the 1960 album Nice 'n' Easy, and it predates the album recordings by a year-and-a-half. See this post:

—> Frank Sinatra recording at the Capitol Tower. Is this how he really did it? Great pics!!

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  3. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I think he's focusing on that fact that in stealing from previous digital source, they've created something that's yet another step further from the original source. Whether that's a sound that you or anyone else can live with is a whole other matter.

Jackie P and J.A.W. like this.
  4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Mychkine and SteelyTom like this.
  5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Exactly.

JETman likes this.
  6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Listening on Spotify now. It's a lot better than anything on the Joe Pass box. I've liked the other Pacific Jazz sets from Mosaic, but I just can't get into the Joe Pass box.

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Don Wilkerson - Shoutin' (Blue Note) TOCJ cd, part of the Works 4100 Series.
    W/ Grant Green, John Patton and Ben Dixon.

8. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I usually try to find photos that relate to the recording session. If I don't find any or, as in this case, I don't have expert knowlege on an artist, I try my best to find a picture that's been taken approximately the year as the album's been released.

Provided one shares the opinion that duplicating (or stealing) from a digital source means moving one step further from the original source. I don't think so, but I have other reservations about those grey market CDs and LPs. I do acknowledge their attempt (not all PD labels, but some) to release stuff that's never seen a digital release or that hasn't been released in ages. But most of these labels just throw cheap copies of albums on the market that, in terms of artwork, don't even remotely have anything to do with the original album. And the sound, more often than not, is horrid. I think we can agree that a copy from a regular CD should sound at least OK if mastered correctly, but those CDs and LPs from PD labels sound as bad as they look most of the times.

SteelyTom and Changeling like this.
  9. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

This is Alexander Hawkins Hammond B3 trio.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Electric

Nah, not a fan of those illegit labels either.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Same here; I think it's pretty mediocre musically.

scompton likes this.
  12. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Honestly, I don't know if one can NOT have that feeling. They are taking the remastering work of one label, and merely copying it onto their own CD's. I think basic laws of the universe would dictate that something always ends up getting lost in the conversion. It's almost like you're saying that dubbing an LP to a CD-R will yield the same audio fidelity found on the LP. We already know that going from master tapes to LP causes some loss in the first place. Why wouldn't a similar loss occur on the digital side???

13. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Because cutting an LP is a mechanical process that inevitably causes loss, irrespective of the analog vs digital discussion, whereas copying from a digital source means duplicating a code of something that's already been encoded. It's like copying ten thousand times the same telephone number. As long as you can read it, you'll always end up calling the right person

autodidact and Electric like this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

When you're copying from an existing CD you're also copying the mastering etc. on that CD and not the original source, so it'll always be at least one step further away from the original source. On top of that some public-domain labels "remaster" the mastering they copied, which to my ears does not improve things - and that's putting it mildly :)

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "A Jazz Date With Chris Connor/Chris Craft" on Rhino.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Additionally, the media copied to plays a part. Even if the copying occurs FROM a legitimate well-pressed CD which is more likely to hold the 1's and 0's properly, the copying is TO a cheap CD material usually used in these cases. To cite an almost classic case, how many times have you inspected a CD pressed in Japan and NOT realized that the CD itself was of higher quality than even most legit CD's pressed elsewhere?

17. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I was very happy with the sound quality, not overly compressed or anything.

Electric likes this.
  18. Electric

I must get this. There seems to be so many issues of it though. Can you, or anyone, care to compare it to any of the other versions? Thanks!

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The only other issue i have is the very first cd issue. In comparison that one seems "thick and rich". . . this one seems open and fast. On my system there's no contest, this is the better sounding of the two for my system and tastes. More depth and "air." And it was cheaper, I probably paid twice for the original cd than I did for this new one, and that was twentieth-century dollars at that.

Electric likes this.
  20. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Lee Morgan ~ Charisma

Blue Note Liberty, RVG 1969

Recorded in 1966

[​IMG]

Trumpet – Lee Morgan
    Saxophone [Alto] – Jackie McLean
    Saxophone [Tenor] – Hank Mobley
    Piano – Cedar Walton
    Bass – Paul Chambers
    Drums – Billy Higgins

Campbell Saddler, Mik, miklew and 8 others like this.
  21. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Horace Silver And The Jazz Messengers
    [​IMG]

22. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Red Garland Quartet ~ Solar

with Les Spann, Sam Jones and Frank Gant

Recorded in January 1962

Jazzland

[​IMG]

23. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

If they try to remaster the CD, of course the sound will change, and probably be degraded. But it would have to be a masterful incompetence to screw up a simple copying of the data, and pressing that data onto another batch of CDs. And you are not one step further from the source. You are at the same step as the CD release the PD label copied from. The "quality" of the pressing is an issue, though I don't see why a competent modern CD player could not retrieve the data properly and sound equivalent to the original issue CD. Frankly, I have no experience comparing these, so I'm sure opinions will vary. But didn't our host say it is not the pressing that matters, it is the mastering?

24. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

[​IMG]

Speaking of trumpeters who died too soon (not that there's an optimal time to die or anything), Clifford Brown was just 25 when he died in a car crash. His work here shows why his death was so deeply felt in the jazz world.

25. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue