Simon & Garfunkel - Best Vinyl summary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by irwin_69, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Yep thats the right stuff - the stereo has the S in front of the BPG and that one has 33 1/3 on the left under the ' <stereo> ' writing.

So the mono wont have the S and hopefully just 33 - doesnt matter if it doesnt - the matrices are what matter - 1A B2 or B3

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Thanks. What I remember doesn't look like the matrix you quote. I am not sure but I don't remember seeing a minus sign anywhere in that series, and the A was at the beginning.

I think it probably doesn't make that much difference as this is a UK mono and there weren't that many issues, looking at discogs, but I will check.

3. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Hmmm..well the matrix should be BPG62690-A1 and BPG62691-B2 or B3

Take a photo of it and then write it up and well see what it is :)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. marcfeld69

O.K. That seems pretty clear now. Will do.

5. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Cos its it not that it must be something else not UK which seems unlikely

6. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Any one know if that holds true for the Japanese pressing:

“GREATEST HITS”
    JAPANESE
    COLUMBIA # 25AP 1367

LABEL: RED CBS SONY. JASRAC

BACK COVER
    : On bottom, in tiny print, among other stuff: Manufactured by CBS SONY Inc. (Tokyo Japan)

STAMPERS:
    A: (machine stamped) 25AP-1367A1 [squiggle in circle logo = JVC?] 1 C 9(?) +
    B: (machine stamped) 25AP-1367B1 1 G 2

??

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Don't know about the Japanese version, it might sound better. The LP is worth having for the live tracks anyway, so why not score it?

8. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Thanks, McLover.

9. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

The only S&G where I have both the stereo and mono is Parsley and Bookends.

Parsley mono is a little beefier than it's stereo counterpart, but seems to bury a lot compared to what's on the stereo.

Bookends - no contest, mono all the way. But, if you're stuck only finding stereo - definitely go with the first batch (360 Sound). The later 1970-and-beyond pressing is a hollow weak mess.

marcfeld69 and john lennonist like this.
  10. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

My UK mono deadwax information is 62690-A4 and 62690-B4. There are NO letters before the number and the matrix is machine stamped.

I am not sure there are mono versions with A or B1 or A or B2 matrices.

I would personally recommend the US two eye mono over the UK release.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. marcfeld69

In the shop where I saw the UK mono, they wrote MAT -4/-4 on the information slip, so maybe it's the same as yours.

12. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Let us not forget the QUAD cut of BOTW. A few alternate edits (mostly just added notes on a few intros, no vari-speed on Baby Driver, IIRC), but some of the mixes are much nicer than the stereo counterparts. THE ONLY LIVING BOY IN NY is essential in Quad, as it eliminates the artificial double-tracking/flange effect on the vocal and gives us to it clean (albeit wet with reverb which sounds beautiful)

GentleSenator likes this.
  13. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Definitely worth checking the deadwax before buying.

I have a mono labelled Bookends but the cut is stereo. That said it's actually easily to tell a UK mono Bookends as the matrix is hand etched unlike the stereo which is machine stamped.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  14. marcfeld69

Thanks. I'd forgotten about the handetching. So should I be looking for a hand-etched something or other for SOS? I am sure that the number is machine-stamped. I still have to go back and check the matrix yet.

15. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

No. SOS is machine stamped. Only Bookends mono is etched.

16. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I bought a brand new 180g German pressing and while I love the sound, it has never played quietly. Lots if surface noise and artifacts.

I do need a good version of this on vinyl too.

17. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I have two UK copies of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" on the orange CBS label, could someone please tell me which is the first pressing?

Copy one has a laminated front cover.
    Matrix numbers are:
    Side 1 - S63699-A followed by a small bump in the vinyl which prevents me from reading the figure that comes here
    Side 2 - S63699-B8

Side 1 label has the mention "Trad.: Arr. Jorge Milchberg/Paul Simon" under "El Condor Pasa"

Copy two has a non-laminated front cover.
    Matrix numbers are:
    Side 1 - SBPG 63699 A1
    Side 2 - SBPG 63699 B1

Side 1 label has no specific mention for "El Condor Pasa".

Thanks for any info!

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you can't get originals I would strongly recommend the Sundazed reissues pressed at QRP. I do think S&G are best heard in stereo (based on hearing a mono PSRT). If you can, seek out the Classic Records BOTW.

19. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

In the UK, A1's/B1's are often first.

20. Jae

Jae Senior Member

The SBPG is first.

john lennonist likes this.
  21. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Thank you Jae and MrGroove.
    I was assuming the record with the laminated sleeve came first.

22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Found a sealed Bookends "Best Seller Series Silver Nice Price" re-issue w/barcode the other day at the thrift, how's the sound on this puppy? If it's good i'll open her up an play/keep it, if not I'll sell it, thanks!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  23. emily_porter

emily_porter New Member

I have inherited two Simon and Garfunkel BOTW vinyl pressings.. One two eye and a 1972 pressing with Grammy hype stickers on shrink.. Both sound superb.. If you want to get an excellent pressing cheap then ignore the first hyped two eye and go for the 1972 Columbia,Columbia label..

24. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

Spindle holes are very easy to enlarge!

john lennonist and Cassius like this.
  25. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

UK orange A14/B8 here. Sounds lovely to me but not got any other copies to compare