Delbert McClinton Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Raylinds, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

Last Summer I went with my brother and his wife to see Delbert McClinton at Infinity Music Hall in Norwalk Connecticut. It is a nice, rather small, hall that serves food and drinks during the show. I was slightly familiar with a few of Delbert's songs, but was not sure what to expect.

He put on a killer show and had a great band behind him. He played some really raucus and fun Texas blues, and I had a great time. He seems to be one of those artists that really shines during live shows.

This year we went to see him at the new Infinity in Hartford, and also had a great time. After the show they were selling a double live record vinyl set that came with a studio album for '76 for $20 so I bought it.

It was really great and really cought the fun and excitement of his live shows, and was very well recorded and mastered.

Anybody else a fan of Delbert?

2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I am a fan he has put out some great records. He is a real survivor, and a real talent.

3. stopbrickwalling

stopbrickwalling Forum Resident

You will not find a tighter band anywhere.
    Good old fashioned music.
    I try to catch Delbert every time he comes around.

Delbert played harmonica while with Bruce Channel on the hit “Hey Baby.”
    It was also during that time that he gave John Lennon tips on playing the harmonica.

4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes, I'm a fan.

Raylinds likes this.
  5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I like a lot of his work but Second Wind is my favorite.

Raylinds likes this.
  6. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I've seen Delbert several times & each time his band is mostly different musicians but if you closed your eyes you wouldn't know.
    The man knows good pickers & how to assemble them.

7. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Two More Bottles of Wine was a nice one.

Raylinds likes this.
  8. stopbrickwalling

stopbrickwalling Forum Resident

For anyone wanting to get their feet wet on Delbert, check out:
    1. Delbert McClinton Live...2 CD album which was originally a European radio broadcast that was released on CD.
    2. Live From Austin
    3. Live From Austin, TX (Austin City Limits)

Great live recordings that showcase not only Delbert's talent and music, but the various incarnations of his fantastic band too!

Good stuff!

9. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I think I have about 7 or 8 of his abums. So yeah, count me as a fan. Got into him in the early 80's when I picked a few of his in the 8-track cut-out bin. Looking at this thread reminded me that I have a sealed copy of a 2 disc live album I need to listen to. I bought it at Sam Goody's going out of business sale! I guess it's been riding my shelf long enough. I'll have to give it a listen soon.

Raylinds likes this.
  10. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Funny that this thread pops up right now. It was just last week-end that I heard Delbert McClinton's lone chart single Givin' it up for your love on Dutch radio. I think I haven't heard that song since it charted circa 1980, but it made me want to dig a little deeper into his body of work. I know he wrote several originals that were covered by more famous artists. Emmylou Harris' Two more bottles of wine comes to mind. And didn't Robert Palmer cover a tune or two?

I found out that there's a UMe Definitive collection that indeed seems pretty comprehensive, especially given the fact that the guy recorded fot so many labels. Is this comp a good starting point or are there individual albums to recommend? I see Raven records from Australia released a few twofers, but as imports they're a bit pricey.

Raylinds likes this.
  11. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Always been a fan but everytime I need to reduce my collection I end up selling his stuff only to buy it again. Must be moral there somewhere.

Raylinds likes this.
  12. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Here I am. Got several Del's records and I love them. Raven twofers and The thrree live albums. Hidden treasure of american music.

13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Been a fan of him since the seventies. A truly great singer and also a brilliant songwriter. Apart from that his skills on the harmonica is considerable. He actually is rumored to have taught John Lennon the rudiments of that instrument
    One of the great originals still out there

ssmith3046 and Raylinds like this.
  14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I need to dig into his catalog much more- he really is a great talent and, yes, he can really blow that harp!

15. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Long may Delbert run!

Raylinds and ssmith3046 like this.
  16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've been a fan since the late 70s. He's a classic example of Texas Roadhouse Music.

Raylinds and BradOlson like this.
  17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Delbert is one of the greats. This is Texas Roadhouse music at its best.

18. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Love Delbert McClinton.

The week after I quit my band back in the 90s they ended up opening for Delbert at a big festival. :doh: I still went and watched the show. It was awesome but talk about bad timing on my part. :doh::doh::doh:

Raylinds likes this.
  19. Count me in as a fan. Saw him live about 6 years ago at a private function. Won me over with a great performance. I bought the live CD at his t-shirt table right after the show. Have since bought several more cd's of his music. At that private show, I also discovered the Paul Thorn Band. Apparently Paul and Delbert are friends and often tour together and Paul has performed on Delbert's music cruise that he does most years.

Delbert and Paul are two "salt of the earth" musicians and are very worthy of your listening time.

Rick G

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes he is. I've seen Delbert several times over the years and he's the real deal.

Raylinds likes this.
  21. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I've been a huge Delbert fan for almost 40 years. His First 2 albums ABC Records(VICTIM OF LIFE'S CIRCUMSTANCES & GENUINE COWHIDE) were incredible.
    Raven Records reissued these, along with his 3rd ABC lp (Love Rustler). The sound on these aren't great, but it could be that the original tapes didn't sound a lot better.

As Delbert's popularity climbed in the 80's, my interest fell. He was a favorite of Don Imus, and was often featured on his show. Since Delbert signed with NEW WEST Records, his output has been fantastic, and he does put on a great show.

His piano player is Kevin McKendree, and he is fabulous. Kevin was featured on the SUN RECORD tribute cd by Brian Setzer, and he knows rockabilly piano.

Raylinds likes this.
  22. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

I think he is one of the great triple threats. Saw him a few years back on a double bill with Nappy Brown in Charlotte, NC. Not a lot of people could go on after Nappy, but he pulled it off. Love the record One Of The Fortunate Few (with Steuart Smith also on guitar) and a couple of his songs appear on the great Etta James rock n roll album Let's Roll.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Don't forget he handles the vocals on Danny Gatton's incredible Sun Medley on
    his "Cruisin' Deuces" album. Delbert's vocals fit perfect with Gatton's blazing
    guitar work.

24. sixtiesstereo

Don't forget he handles the vocals on Danny Gatton's incredible Sun Medley on
    his "Cruisin' Deuces" album. Delbert's vocals fit perfect with Gatton's blazing
    guitar work.

25. sixtiesstereo

Sorry for the double post......I never got the "your message has been posted" message the first time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.