Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The new HDTracks files are significantly different from the Bluray.

Really a sad situation; it's good we have the "new" Aqualung, it's kind of disgusting that the Bluray/DVD-A was messed with to begin with and that the bonus tracks are still only available that way :mad:

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Apparently the multitracks are missing, that's why it wasn't remixed for the deluxe edition.

Dino likes this.
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

To sum up the Aqualung situation: all digital editions of the remix before now were mastered by Peter Mew (Blu-Ray, DVD-A, CD). The vinyl LP had a different mastering.

The new Hi-Res download is a flat transfer of SW's mixes.

The same will apply to Thick As A Brick.

4. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

A likely scenario. Cheers for that.

5. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

My bad, the other title they put up was 'Benefit'. Hopefully they will keep the Tull coming.

6. I think it's great news that hi-res downloads are considered important enough that they can get "fixed" versions of albums.

N.T.Wrong, Dino, Starwanderer and 2 others like this.
  7. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

But there is no difference between the SW Benefit DVD version and the HD Tracks version?

8. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Correct.

9. Say

Say Forum Resident

this is what I want to hear! :)

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I'm confused now. So is the HDTracks hi res mastered by Peter Mew or is it mastered by Steven Wilson?

11. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

It is flat transfers from the Steven Wilson remixes. No Peter Mew.

12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Great. Thanks for the clarification.

13. Steve Martin

Aqualung Blu-ray/DVD - mastered by Peter Mew
    Aqualung new HD release - mastered by Steven Wilson

Benefit DVD - mastered by Steven Wilson
    Benefit new HD release - mastered by Steven Wilson (same as DVD)

14. Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy Forum Resident

Flat transfer of the remix not to be confused with a flat transfer of the master tape. Too bad, because I'm not a fan of remixes but I really like the master tape flat transfers included with the other Steven Wilson projects.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They all had flat transfers of the original mixes on the physical editions, except Stand Up and This Was.

Dino likes this.
  16. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Anyone check out Lionel Richie Dancing on the Ceiling from prostudiomasters?

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Well the vinyl and cd sound fantastic so I would think the hi-rez would also :)

18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

@Plan9 Thomas have you been working on any new projects lately ie IHR related type music?

19. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I know I complain about members who gripe about every little thing BUT,
    why don't Pono and HDTracks do any 5.1 downloads when those versions already exist?
    Seems like they're leaving money on the table.
    Maybe there are other factors involved that I'm not aware of.
    I bought the Aqualung boxset and think it is excellent but will probably download this flat master and would gladly pay the extra for the 5.1.
    The 5.1 version of Aqualung is f'ing fantastic.
    I never understood the vitriol about Peter Mew but if this does indeed sound better, why not?
    There are several classic gems on this album, imo.

Tuco likes this.
  20. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I searched this thread and saw no mention of Meat is Murder on Pono.
    Please if anyone has downloaded this I would be greatly interested in your opinion.
    Thanks!

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Question for @Plan9 since he worked with SW. Does SW consider his flat transfers of his new mixes a 'mastering'? We've long had debates in other threads about whether if ABC guy flat transfers a mix is he considered to be mastering it or because it's a flat transfer the ABC guy didn't master anything. Just curious how SW sees it?

22. Steve Martin

The only thing I could find on The Smiths HD reissues from 2013 is the DR Database entry for the album "The Smiths". Looks to be pretty compressed. Since Meat Is Murder likely came out around the same time I'm not going to be the guinea pig.

23. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Rob Jacobs (PonoMusic)
    Hi,

Here are the New Reissues for the week as well. We're especially excited about the two Jethro Tull titles, we'd been waiting with baited breath!

Lionel Richie - Dancing On The Ceiling (96/24)
    Lionel Richie - Back To Front (96/24)
    Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts (44.1/24)
    Carly Simon - Spy (192/24)
    Chaka Khan - Destiny (192/24)
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung (Steven Wilson Mix And Master) (96/24)
    Jethro Tull - Benefit (Steven Wilson Mix) (96/24)

We are going to be digging even deeper into these reissues, so watch this space for new developments.

mdpierocarey likes this.
  24. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

There is very little demand for a downloadable 5.1 mix. Most people don't have their computer hooked up to a surround sound and you really can't take advantage of 5.1 portably which is another use for a downloaded copy.

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Steven considers that if nobody else touches his mixes after he is done with them, it is a flat transfer. By default, he wouldn't say they underwent any mastering stage, because 'mastering' in this case would mean another person.

My point of view is a bit different: since he usually adds limiting to his mixes, I personnaly wouldn't consider them 'flat', as I, ideally, wouldn't start mastering them if they already had a layer of limiting.
    I would say Steven, if he applies a limiter to them, has done a bit a mastering, however small it is: because not every limiter has the same sound, nor every amount of limiting will sounds the same. So, a choice is made after the basic stereo downmix is finished, and that, in my view, constitutes mastering, even if it's done by the original mixer.
    Probably, if a remaster is ever attempted, we would go back to the un-limited mixes, not the ones with the -however small- limiting.

As you can see, 'flat transfer' is indeed an ambivalent term.
    It originates in the analog age, where it meant that the stereo master tape was copied to the commercial delivery end format without further modifications.
    But a case could be made for mastering with extremely careful transfers from analog to digital, where a choice of a particular tape machine and signal path is done... Or the choice of a DAC when a digital mix is transfered to an analog format...

But remember "flat transfering" is a rare thing. In my 5 years as a mastering engineer and hundreds of tracks mastered, I have done a 'flat transfer' on exactly two tracks. And still, I had to adjust their volume.