Does anyone remember this old PSA?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michelle66, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Were we in the habit of leaving blasting caps laying around back in the sixties!?!

krock2009 likes this.
  2. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

If you have 20 of them strung together and one fails to fire what do you think happens to that one. It's gets thrown god know where. From what I understand this is a major problem in state like Colorado or anywhere they need to do tons of blasting to build roads.

3. jeffmissinne

jeffmissinne Forum Resident

Nope, not one of the ADA spots I remember (but fun!) The ones I used to see often had objects or figures that would "morph" into words, and most of the characters (doctors, dentists, and kids) were designed somewhat along the line of ventriloquist dummies, with solid-looking heads. The animation (what there was of it) was quite slickly drawn.

4. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Little known fact: These and other PSA's like the ones mentioned in this thread were withdrawn because scientists found they caused mental illness!

There was actually a disclaimer before the PSA came on: "Warning this video may contribute to schizophrenia, anxiety, and social withdrawal."

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I can't find my favorite on Youtube. The anti-drug PSA. "Hey kids, gather round, the Candyman is back in town. I've got uppers, downers....." I must be searching wrong, that's a classic!

7. jeffmissinne

The Advertising Council, which produces many of the PSA's aired both by networks and local stations (radio as well as TV) is a non-profit organization of ad agencies and personnel who work pro bono on developing campaigns both for governmental agencies (the Forest Service's "Smokey the Bear" etc.) and others (Red Cross and United Negro College Fund, for examples.) A good overview of their history and activities may be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_Council

8. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

This PSA worked. I never did taste one. :winkgrin:
    Seriously, I think it aired during every Superman episode when I was a kid.

9. Stan J

Stan J New Member

Here's the merry-go-round one

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, here it is.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I find it amazing one of America's deadliest killers -DRUNK DRIVING...there hasn't been a PSA commercial on TV in years...I guess it's been cured.

Benno123 likes this.
  12. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I've been looking for a PSA from the late 60's or early 70's narrated by a child about how we were going to run out of energy by the time we were grown up.
    Scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.
    It's sampled on a Boards Of Canada track.

13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

14. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I'm still tryin to find that PSA about pollution which has a guy in the wilderness, sometimes in a boat where the water turns to sewage and he takes a cup out to take a drink.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

This one only inspired my friends and me to look for Blasting Caps at construction sites. It seemed like we were missing out on lots of fun! Probably not the intended result.

sparkydog likes this.
  16. jeffmissinne

Here's Johnny Smoke...

MikaelaArsenault and stereoptic like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

There's a PSA from 1990 or so I'd love to see again. It shows a guy in a wheelchair as he implores people not to treat him or others in his situation with kid gloves.

At one point, he says "If I screw up, you can tell me, 'you screwed up'!" I still quote that line - I wish I could find the original PSA!

krock2009 likes this.
  18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I get a PSA once a year.

krock2009 likes this.
  19. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

One of the creepiest ones I remember had Edward G. Robinson talking about syphilis. It had a time-lapse shot of a flower wilting. I guess they picked him because he was in Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet.

20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I'm old enough to have seen it and it does ring a bell, but it didn't scare me enough (as a 7 to 10 year old) to stick in my memory clearly -- unlike Barbara Eden, Elizabeth Montgomery and several other 60s sitcom beauties.

21. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I have been looking for a PSA for years. It starts with a mom and dad yelling at their kids to rhyme.

I remember the lines: "Bosses, bills and nag, nag, nags. Shut up kids your in the way. I'm so mad I could slap your face!"

The kid in tears says, "Daddy, did I do something wrong?"

Then they sing a song that goes:

"Have you hugged your kid today. Have you sent him on his way. With love, love; love, love, love. He's a person just like you. He's got feelings too. So give him love, la-la-love, love, la-la-love, love, love, love."

I have found other psa's with the song, but not the one with the parents rhyming at the beginning.

22. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I always thought it was a great idea when they made the tobacco companies do their own anti-smoking PSA's. It's not like they would put any mixed messages in there.

23. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I remember many of those PSAs, the "Buckle up for safety" PSA:

24. Anthology123

And of course, the "this is your brain on drugs":

25. Anthology123

Another great one, "Like father, like son" anti-smoking PSA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.