Why McCartney 2 is such a great musical adventure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Getting told I'm behind the curve because I don't like "McCartney II"? I'd be wounded if I weren't laughing so hard. "today's consensus" :love:

jeatleboe, Music Geek and Frank like this.
  2. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Well I'm laughing right back at how defensive you are just because a vast swath of critics across the music world likes an album and you don't. Get over it, man.

theMess and Frank like this.
  3. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

:angel:

Macca defenders sure know "defensive" :)

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I agree with this. I considered it very weak when it was issued, and I still consider it weak. Though I like Coming Up OK and think Waterfalls is an excellent song--although one that really deserved a more professional, elaborated arrangement.

I do agree with the original poster that this was a pretty brave album to release. It's rare that someone working at what was Paul's level of commercial success at the time will monkey so massively with the formula. This wasn't like McCartney I, which came out early in the career and was at a point where Paul was still dealing with defining a path outside The Beatles. McCartney II was a major superstar in his own right taking a piss on the starmaking machinery. Of course, his record company taped the hit live version of Coming Up to the sleeve--Paul might have been too big to say no to, but they needed a bone and Paul was ultimately OK tossing it to them.

So I didn't and don't love it. But in some ways, it makes me smile a lot more now than it did when it came out.

theMess, Bemagnus and Frank like this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"Blue Sway" should have been on this album. Get rid of "Front Parlour" and "Frozen Jap" and replace them with "Blue Sway". I love the album as it stands, but this would make it far better.

To me, this album has received the best Archive release so far. They gave us the best bonus tracks by collecting all the almost-a-double-album tracks.

She is anyway and JDeanB like this.
  6. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Great review. I remember loving Coming Up when it came out, but finding the album a bit silly. Later in life I gave it a proper listen and realised it was actually quite brilliant and ahead of its time.

She is anyway, Bemagnus and theMess like this.
  7. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I listened to this album today, because of the recent performance of Temporary Secretary. But this album is a regular for me.

It took me a few times to get it, but one day it did click and I was in love. I'm a youngster so I don't know what it was like in 1980, but in today's context and looking back at his career, it makes sense as a release. To get himself out of the 'Beatles' and 'Wings' modes, he creates an album that is a statement on where he is musically. Both of them have been said by some as ahead of it's time, McCartney for the indie genre and McCartney II for modern pop.

I like every song on the album, it really is a great peiece of work, but I prefer the laid-back McCartney I, but this will have me wanting to move! The first side is really amazing, I don't feel like side two is as good but good, One of These Days is pure Paul McCartney magic.

I don't see a McCartney III in the cards because he has no band to leave, unless the Fireman breaks up :laugh:

8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Precisely. Rolling Stone, I think, called it a collection of "aural doodles," which pretty much nails it. Every few years I pull out my copy (the original 1980 LP) and try very hard to like it ... to no avail.

SgtPepper1983 and Frank like this.
  9. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

C'mon, don't start bringing the "real" world into a Hoffman forum debate! That only adds to the confusion and melodrama and is just not helpful. ;)

NaturalD, Music Geek and Frank like this.
  10. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Great post, great thread!

I can't really add anything, you took the words right out my mouth. The one thing I feel about the album, is that it is viewed by many as a cold synth album by some and does sound it, but it also has a fantastic dream like quality to it, almost like it puts you in a calm trance while listening to it. This probably makes no sense, but I've always felt this way about the album, it transports me into a daydream world.

Have loved the album since I bought about 10 years ago, and love the Archive Collection Book version as well, glad it was released, even if may not have the public choice. And count me in as another Temporary Secretary fan.

11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I find it very easy to see why McCartney 2 is such a polarising album. Imo it s one of the things that makes it interesting to discuss it. The thing some of us sees as the albums strengths obviously is what others sees as it s weakness. I for one can easily see both points since I rather disliked the album a long time before finally "getting" it.
    However-to like an album very much and listen to it on a regular basis doesn t mean it must be genius or a masterpiece. I can clearly see that an almum like Dark side of the moon is a more important album than McCartney 2 -a masterpiece. But I hardly listen to Dark side of the moon because I honestly never liked it-or Pink Floyd all that much.
    Imo it would not be fair to call McCartney 2 a masterpiece or genius. Ok Coming up, Waterfalls and some more like Secret Friend might deserve that ephitet.
    But it still is one of Maccas albums that get me most pleasure listening to. i sort of like it

12. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

The nadir of his recording career.

Frank likes this.
  13. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I did not know that!

14. Frank

Frank Senior Member

At least we're all laughing together, amirite?

As for me, I never really liked this album (except for On The Way, Nobody Knows, One of These Days and the live version of Coming Up (if that counts) maybe the treacly Waterfalls if I'm in a good mood, which I'm usually not), but every time someone gushes over it, it makes me hate it just a little bit more. It's the only album I'm like that about. Every time I read something good about it, I try again, and it just makes me resent it. You took a dump, and your friends convinced you to sell it to me, and then 30 years later you tried to sell it to me again, this time with a book? Go F yourself and your beep beep boop boop garbage.

That escalated quickly.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    NaturalD and graystoke like this.
  15. Bemagnus

The nadir of this thread:)

16. Bemagnus

At least there must be 27 people more than me who likes the album counting the likes my OP received. 29 actually because I know 2 more people who likes it.
    ;)

17. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Close to it. That spot for me is reserved for Give My Regards To Broadstreet.

18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

You've obviously never heard Pipes Of Peace...

Bruce M. and Frank like this.
  19. Bemagnus

Personally I hold Press to play as the nadir of Pauls musical output
    Give my regard is perhaps one of worst movies ever made but the album is-if not a good one-not his worst imo

20. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Just for the record: I am a Beatles/McCartney fan and I have the McCartney 2 super boxset and I have read the new reviews. There is a lot of revisionism and rose tinted glasses in those reviews. Same with Ram (which is an ok album) and even more with Wings Over America (which is a poor live album compared to lots of live album from the 70s).
    I am a fan but I like to keep things real.

People here write that "New" was the album of the year and other similar inanities because it was probably the only new release they bought that year.

I doubt McCartney 2 will ever be re-assessed as a masterpiece outside the Beatles hardcore fandom.

Dr. Mudd and SirNoseDVoid like this.
  21. Music Geek

A much welcome reality check.

jeatleboe likes this.
  22. Bemagnus

Ain t it all down to personal preferences - personally I would never call the opinions and preferences of others insane

23. Music Geek

Neither do I (at least if we are talking about music)...

Enjoy McCartney II, my posts were not meant to tell you that you shouldn't.

Bemagnus likes this.
  24. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

But if someone calls another's opinion 'insane'... isn't that also just an opinion?

Frank likes this.
  25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Very close. But DRIVING RAIN takes that dishonor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.