Artists you have a lot of albums by, but aren't really a fan of

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ricebear, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

:righton:

2. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Radiohead. I buy each new one saying "Maybe this time I'll get it." Well, I think I stopped at Hail to the Thief.

waterface, seed_drill and hi_watt like this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

You're missing out. :sigh:

4. Zack

Zack Senior Member

One man's treasure is another man's trash.

hi_watt likes this.
  5. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Bob James. I like the music but listen to it very rarely. I did keep his Touchdown album because of the Angela tune.

6. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I only buy albums from bands I don't enjoy.
    This way I don't feel so bad that I don't have time to listen to them all.

Ash76, chodad, subzro and 4 others like this.
  7. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Great. Now I have to start collecting Baja Marimba Band albums. :laugh:

8. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

I have about 6 U2 albums and I cannot convince myself to play them. I was looking for new music when I bought them, but they really do nothing for me. Same with my two Radiohead albums. But at least with them I have the excuse that the singer is a whiney little puke. Bono is not as bad, as he just wants to be elected.

fastskillfulinjured and hi_watt like this.
  9. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Grateful Dead
    Hendrix
    The Doors
    Zappa

I think I probably liked all of these at one time, but not so much now, mainly because of over exposure or over hype, hearing the same few songs over and over. Can't really bring myself to pick one of their albums and listen to it all the way through. I hang on to them thinking that I'll change my mind sometime down the road, and I quite possibly may. There's plenty of great music there, I just don't care to hear it at this point. Hope that makes sense.

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This me, too. Basically my response to this thread would be: "how much time do you have?".

JoeRockhead likes this.
  11. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Or he has different taste than you :righton:

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Since I don't really collect singles, I often buy albums for the hit that I happen to like. Then, as the completest in me takes over, I pick up more albums by that artist, if they are cheap and they are there. I mean, I love Riding the Storm Out, but that probably doesn't justify eight REO Speedwagon albums.

13. John54

John54 Senior Member

Pink Floyd, I suppose. Side 1 of Ummagumma kinda rules ...

Led Zep. Most LPs I like a track or two (or three in the case of III).

If you buy a lot of LPs "on spec" off reviews, you're bound to end up with some artist troves like this.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No, it would be a waste of space and money.

15. sami

sami Mono still rules

My first thought when seeing the thread.

16. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Man, NOTHING justifies that.

17. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

Most of mine were given to me. Who wouldn't want a bunch of CDs for free?

18. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Over the years I've bought all of Depeche Mode's albums on cassette and vinyl, followed by the CDs then the remastered CDs, then re-buying the vinyl re-issues. I have most of the original vinyl singles and CD singles plus the singles box sets and deluxe editions of the albums. I've seen them on most of their tours and have all their concert DVDs. My whole house is filled with framed tour programs and band posters including life-sized cut outs of the band. I also run their official fan club.

I hate those bastards so much.

19. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I have a lot of albums by artists that I USED to like but don't listen to any more. Some artists you never give up on, others you kinda grow out of. I used to be a huge Abba fan, I even went to see them live. Had a ton of their records. Do I listen to them now? Hardly ever. It's not that I don't like Abba, it's just not what I want to listen to these days. As Jane Birkin once sang, I'm an ex-Fan I guess.

20. I went crazy over the saxophonist Eric Alexander about five years ago, I ended up with over 30 albums including side projects. Once my feeding frenzy was over I realised that there was no way I was going to listen to him that often. I like his playing, he's got a nice old-fashioned way of phrasing. he plays with top-notch sidemen like Harold Mabern. He isn't quite 30 albums good, though.

As for albums by people I'm not a fan of, why would I want to do that? :confused:

21. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I have one situation like this.

About 3 or 4 years ago I was in my local Wal-Mart and they had a giant cube in the Electronics Department full of CDs for $2.99. I ended up buying 6 or 7 Styx CDs, their main albums.

I had a comp of Styx before this and the disc got broke in my car. There are some good songs on the CDs I have, mainly the ones that were on the comp I had. I had all the CDs ripped to my PC for awhile, but had to compress them into my own comp for space reasons. Every once and a while I try to listen to one of their albums, but I just can't make it through. I'm not slamming the band, there are a few good songs on each CD, but the rest really isn't for me.

At least I wasn't out much.

22. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I remember when I first heard the concept of burning CD's to my computer, I burned a lot of my friend's discs (he has a massive collection) thinking I'll get into certain bands eventually. U2 being the main culprit, but they're still there...waiting... mocking me. I also did this with Dylan and he has become one of my favorites. I wouldn't buy any albums of bands I know I already am not interested in.

23. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

REO Speedwagon was amongst the victims when I first culled my collection when I was 18. My tastes were definitely changing at that time and artists like REO, Journey, Styx, Boston, Seger, Foreigner, etc were permanently removed from my collection. Other stuff I discovered in my teens (or earlier) remains to this day.

24. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Free garbage is still garbage.

25. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

SRV, and that's the only one. I like most of his stuff and enjoy it when I listen to it, but never want to listen to it. No other discs are wasted. It's as he said, "Money tight, nothin' free."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.