My interview with Tommy James

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

marmalade, No Static, papatwo and 8 others like this.
  2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Thanks. Always a fan.

BeatleStair likes this.
  3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Nice work, thanks for sharing that.

BeatleStair likes this.
  4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed his autobiography. He really needs to be in the Hall Of Fame!

marmalade, BeatleStair and melstapler like this.
  5. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I used to have the "Hanky Panky" 45 as a pre-teen and wore it slick out. Great interview! Thanks!

BeatleStair likes this.
  6. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

A Tommy James hits collection is a must-own item for rock n' roll fans of all ages.

I saw him play an auto show(!) at Chicago's International Amphitheatre back in the '70s, and he put on a great show, considering the venue. He even did impressions, including Nixon and Hubert Humphrey, IIRC.

7. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

I just love the Shondells. I think they are the dime-store parallel to the Beach Boys. Same lofty ideas and capabilities but a much lower budget.

BeatleStair and melstapler like this.
  8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Even if Tommy's name is not immediately recognized by younger audiences, just about everyone knows the hit songs he's written and recorded such as 'Mony Mony,' 'Crimson and Clover' and 'Crystal Blue Persuasion.' Billy Idol and Joan Jett certainly helped to introduce Tommy's music to a new audience in the 1980s, but I believe that Tommy's well-known original studio recordings of these songs have aged very well in terms of style and production.

9. junk

junk Hellion

That's great! Nice writing. Thanks for sharing. I've been a fan since “Draggin' the Line” from 1971.
    And hey...I've been to Fort Wayne several times over the years to Piere's - The Midwest's Largest Night Club because my friends band used to always make a stop there while doing their yearly tour across the US. Fort Wayne was always a really nice place to stop.

BeatleStair likes this.
  10. junk

junk Hellion

No one did Crimson and Clover better than Tommy. :thumbsup:

11. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

If you listen to the audio of the interview (also on the same link above) Tommy has some fun things to say about mono vs. stereo mixing. I love that he used to work in a record store and is still a big fan of vinyl. I also asked him about writing "Don't Bring Me Down" for The Monkees - couldn't resist. His book and the 40th Anniversary Collection Complete Singles are must owns!!! The singles collection has all the mono mixes of the hits which are great!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

If only that collection had the b-sides. I think he did a great job of giving people more bang for their buck. Many of the flips I like more or as much as the a-side.

BeatleStair likes this.
  13. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Mr. Jackson is always a great interview and his autobiography is one of the best...ever!

BeatleStair likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.