Does your vehicle have a cassette tape player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PaulKTF, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

2007 Audi S4 Avant...(wagon body).

No. No tape player.

A Bose speaker system which works, but I would have liked better options. Nevertheless, what I really like is that it has an in-dash six disc CD changer. The changer works with CDRs, and even though I'm not particularly a fan of MP3s, the changer treats discs of MP3 files just the same as regular CDs. I burn discs of 320 Kb/s MP3 files and each disc can hold 5 hours, 6 minutes, and a few seconds of road worthy audio--giving my changer in total 30 1/2 hours of music. With random play, I can go for quite a while before I feel the need to swap out a disc and swap in a replacement. I just carry a good set of alternatives in my glove box.

2. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I was honestly surprised when my 2003 VW Passat 4 Motion had a tape deck. And I never used it. I don't think the 1997 Chevy Blazer I had previously even had one, but I can't say for sure.

My 2007 A4 Avant S Line had that same 6 disc changer mentioned previously. Rarely used it. But I was shocked there was no iPod aux in yet my friends 2007 GTI had one included. Audi wanted $400 to install one.

My new 2015.5 Volvo V60 has a single CD player, aux in, Bluetooth audio, and I don't use any of them. More impressed with the Bluetooth phone function. And I kinda like Sirius. I keep it on First Wave, but don't know if I will subscribe after the freebie runs out. Probably not.

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I drive a 2002 Lexus LX470 (Lexus Land Cruiser). It has a Mark Levenson audio system which includes a CD changer and cassette. I've had the vehicle since the end of 2009 and I've never used either of them. I did, however, add an FM Bluetooth transmitter which works pretty well where I live with my iPhone to stream Pandora and the like. No mini jack and no easy way to add one.

4. ARCCJ

ARCCJ Forum Resident

The last car I had cassette in was an older Acura with the crappy Blows Bose system in it; what garbage those speakers were, flimsy $2 paper cones pumped up with EQ. Today I will not own an auto music system unless it takes USB thumb drives. And Bluetooth which sounds like crap but allows streaming from phone or tablet.

5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

The last vehicle I owned was a Ford Econoline van that I disposed of in 1998 when I moved abroad. At the time of my departure I'd been sporting an 8-track player in the van for several years. When puzzled passengers would ask about it I called it the "anti-theft music system" because what sort of chowder head would steal an 8-track player?

clhboa likes this.
  6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

That's kind of what I say about the cassette deck in my truck. However it is one of those detachable faces models where the cassette slot is hidden behind the deck's face. I was going to install a underdash Craig 8-track deck but there wasn't enough room under the dash.

Wally Swift likes this.
  7. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

I have a 2014 Renault Clio - no cassette deck. No CD player either, which took me a while to get used to. It means I get even more use out of my iPod Classic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.