Stephen King's 'IT' (2017 film - aka It: Chapter One)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Texastoyz, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'd rather see them adapted as single season cable series with a high budget and great effects. They could cover the entire book in ten or twelve episodes. The Stand might take fifteen, but it would be worth it.

2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Oh gawd, we've seen how well that has worked for Under The Dome...soon to start its third season as a TV series that now more or less resembles the novel its based on in name only...

3. DreadPikathulhu

I would never cite Under the Dome as a positive example.

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I wasn't...

5. We would need an HBO or Showtime network to do it right, otherwise what is the point? Under The Dome was good for 2 episodes then went right down the toilet.

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

How about a Netflix or Hulu original? That's what I'm hoping for eventually.

7. DreadPikathulhu

Netflix or Hulu could definitely do It justice. It would probably take someone with deep pockets, like HBO, to tackle The Stand.

Bobby Buckshot and kevywevy like this.
  8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Netflix, Amazon or Hulu could pull this off.

Netflix spent a little under $4 million per episode on the Daredevil series, I would imagine you could use a similar budget for an adaption of IT.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  9. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I re-read the book again recently. I am a King fan, but I have to say he was badly in need of an editor. Great set up, some excellent scenes , but the last third of the book was a real slog. I hate to be negative, but remakes like this usually don't turn out well. (The Omen, Psycho )

10. DreadPikathulhu

I would darken it up considerably. A rewatched IT a few months ago and a big problem I had with it was that it looked like a TV show - it was brightly lit and starred several well-known TV stars. The best thing about it was Tim Curry. It's also an adaption of a book, so I wouldn't consider it a remake anymore than Peter Jackson's Hobbit is a remake of the Rankin-Bass version.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, cool...now I have to watch my DVD!

12. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

13. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

14. mynameistaken

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I predict this ends up bombing badly because it won't be scary, and the fans of the book will be mad at the unnecessary changes to the plot and period setting.

16. mynameistaken

One thing the article states is that Skarsgard portrays one of the forms of IT. To me, that is a breath of fresh air. When I first watched the mini-series I didn't think anything of IT only being Pennywise the Clown (excluding the spider). After reading the book and revisiting the the mini-series I was disappointed (not in the performance, just the decision). I will remain optimistic for now. I don't care if it is scary or not, I just hope they tell a good story with this movie. The material is definitely there.

17. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

18. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Good look for a different film, but I think for It, I'd prefer something like this:

[​IMG]

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What made Tim Curry's Pennywise so terrifying is that he really did look like a friendly, approachable clown.... much scarier than what we've seen of the new Pennywise.

Plan9 and Thwacko like this.
  20. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I never saw what the point was of having the kids you-know-what at the end. I know what he was trying to say, it just seemed like he could've chosen a different way of doing it.

21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

You know, that costume looks just plain stupid. Reminds me of a cross between Little Boy Blue and William Shakespeare. It was never an ostentatious costume that made Pennywise frightening in the book - it was always described as a simple clown costume. The clown costume from American Horror Story: Freak Show is perfectly on the mark:

[​IMG]

22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Agreed. I really hated that part of the book, and thought it was totally over-the-top lame.

Grunge Master likes this.
  23. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I honestly think he looks fine, but the lighting/pose of the photo detracts. If they wanted to do a creepy photo, they should have taken inspiration from all those clown sightings last year/year before last.
    [​IMG]

24. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

The original miniseries was horrible. I watched it again recently on a cable channel, and it has gained a charming camp value, but at the time itwas such a massive disappointment, mostly due to the anticipation built by Curry's Pennywise, which was indeed the best thing about it. The friendship aspect of the story, which is central, would just be so hard to portray on screen, especially using Stephen King's rather hackneyed writing as a guide. It works as a juicy pulp page-turner, but not so much in a teleplay. I really don't think there would be any way to portray these characters as anything but annoying, if following the book. Beep beep, Ritchie.

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Agreed. It just felt weird and creepy. But in a way I appreciate and miss that crazy dangerous Stephen King of days of olde.

The other thing I never liked in the book was Ben's poem. No way a 12 year old wrote that.

The original mini-series could have been better. I mean...it's no "The Stand"...but I have a soft spot for it as I really liked the cast selections.

I dunno...that EW photo just looks like the same old same old you'd expect from any number modern horror films. Tim Curry certainly gave the character panache. Very entertaining performance. If they are going to do this thing right they've got to make it epic. I want meteors! Vision quests! CGI turtles!

Grunge Master likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.