If The Beatles Were a Six-Man Group. . .

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benjamin Edge, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident Thread Starter

If The Beatles had been a six-man group, meaning besides John, Paul, George and Ringo we'd also have the two "lost" Beatles, Stuart "Stu" Sutcliffe and Pete Best, on board.

Some fans would've loved to hear both Pete and Ringo beat the skins a la The Grateful Dead and The Doobie Brothers. However, either Stu or Pete might have been shown the door by Brian Epstein (a la Ian Stewart being dismissed from The Rolling Stones by then-manager Andrew Oldham).

What would stuff in the group's non-touring years (1966-1970) -- meaning the albums Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let It Be -- have sounded like with these two lost Beatles with them?

~Ben

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    ajsmith likes this.
  2. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

If the world was really flat, would Columbus have reached an edge in his boat and fallen into oblivion, or would he have been saved by space aliens for scientific testing?

Both Stu and Pete would have been long gone by 1966, either by their own volition or kicked out years before for general musical incompetence compared to the main four. :crazy:

ARK, Rhett, Jtycho and 13 others like this.
  4. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

The provisional title of their second film would have been "Twelve Arms to Hold You".

5. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Revolver might've been changed, as well.

[​IMG]

broccolid and mpayan like this.
  6. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Roy Young could've been the fifth Beatle.

[​IMG]

Dr-Winston and nikh33 like this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

haha, funny

8. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

With Best on triangle and Sutcliffe live painting on an overhead projector, they would've been a sexy sextet!

Denise Norris and zebop like this.
  9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

And Chas Newby? The only other guy who was literally 'one of The Beatles'?

ajsmith likes this.
  10. bward

bward Senior Member

Just thinking aloud, for another what if, on the 6th Beatle theme.

What if they added Billy and Clapton in January 69, with the purpose of finishing off the Get Back album, and hitting the road.

Would that addition have been enough to rejuvenate the band, re-engage Lennon, and bring George around?

I know it would have done nothing to change the business side of things that were falling apart.

Look how much Billy's presence alone helped refocus the band.

Just an idea.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Deleted several posts due to massive thread crapping and resulting derailment. If you insist on rejecting the OP's premise, please either don't respond, or state your reasons politely.

12. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

If the Beatles were ever to hypothetically be a 6 man band... then pretty much this

13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I politely reject the premise because Stuart Sutcliffe was dead.

ARK, JimC, Boris number 9 and 2 others like this.
  14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Some would claim the same thing about Pete Best. :hide:

Boris number 9 likes this.
  15. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Didn't he turn the gig down when Epstein offered? It's referenced by Tony Sheridan in his remake of Sweet Georgia Brown when he says 'I say this group is absolutely marvellous with the piano, don't you think so?' in a cod Brian voice.

16. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

It seems like the 4 personalities were so volatile (well, 3 of them anyway) that adding more members would have just made the whole thing less stable and probably led to an earlier breakup.

Also, would the White Album have been 6 sides?

Skywheel likes this.
  17. It would have never worked. The Beatles had gone as far as they could together. They couldn't stand each other anymore.

zebop likes this.
  18. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Stu, by all accounts, simply wasn't a musician at heart. Even if he hadn't died, I can't imagine he'd have 1) chosen to stay in the band, or 2) been allowed to stay in even had he wanted to. As for Pete, it'd be interesting to see how he'd have evolved as a player the way Ringo did (he wasn't as good as Ringo, but surely he'd have improved somewhat at least if he'd had the chance), but then I can't imagine they'd have hired Ringo or any other second drummer. That simply wasn't done in those days.

19. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

That is both funny and terrible!

20. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I think they could have added Klaus Voormann on bass, too, for Paul's piano songs.

21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I'm serious here:
    If the Beatles were a 6-man group, then the Stones wouldn't have booted Ian Stewart from their official line-up.

Boris number 9 and Strummergas like this.
  22. Stu and Pete could not have been members of a six man Beatles, maybe an organist and or a sax player would have been feasible, but an additional drummer, and or bassist or guitarist would have been clutter, not really with the template of non soul/jazz bands of the time. It probably would have muddied the waters with constant compromise amongst six people, though the harmonies would have be stunning if arranged properly. George Martin would have made seven, and may not have been as impactful negotiating with six, which could have possibly led to an earlier break up.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  23. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Wiki:
    According to Young, Brian Epstein offered him a place in the group once they had returned to England and signed a record contract, but Young turned down the offer because he had a contract with the Star-Club.
    Young returned to England in 1964 and joined Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers – also managed by Epstein – as their keyboard player and second vocalist. The group toured with the Beatles in 1966, and Young featured on their hit version of the Beatles' "Got To Get You Into My Life", produced by Paul McCartney.

24. bward

bward Senior Member

Yes, you are most likely correct. I hadn't really thought the whole thing out.

But it's an intriguing what if: two extra members to get through a rough patch, not permanent members.

And there's the whole control issue, what voice would two junior Beatles have? Would they be able to artistically contribute?

It probably would have collapsed under its own weight.

But the music would have been cool!

25. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Murray the K would have called himself the seventh Beatle.

EndOfTheRainbow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.