RSD to expand to every week!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jayski, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So now Record Store Day exclusives means releases that will only be released on a Tuesday, unlike the standard junk that gets released on Fridays.

2. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Every day I decide to go to the local record store is RSD.

3. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

How many records will they re-release if they have RSD every week? Sooner or later they're going to re-re-re-release the re-re-release records they made a month ago whic is actually the re-release of the the the the... oh wait I lost track.

krlpuretone likes this.
  4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

This year a couple of the RSD releases were literally reissues of past RSD releases. I am not kidding or exaggerating. So it is kind of happening already.

5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

It would be nice if someone thought of and implemented "Quality Record Pressings Day." Take some of the crap out of the crapshoot that comes with buying new vinyl these days.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Eventually, they are going to run out of old David Bowie singles that can be issued as picture discs and Doors albums that can be issued on vinyl. Then how will they continue?

fitzrik and krlpuretone like this.
  7. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

That's silly. Record collectors don't go on dates.

8. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Fonzie is donning his water skis.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    denesis, JasonA and clhboa like this.
  9. Bring back 'Mini-Disc Mondays'!

Ghostworld, AlienRendel and clhboa like this.
  10. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

which ones?

11. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Animals EPs!

12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

here's the actual source of the story:

http://a2im.org/news/indie-retailers-launching-vinyl-tuesdays/

In short:

13. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

If the record industry want to help make some more cash for the record stores they could let them order what their customers really want rather than dumping piles of arbitrary garbage on their stores every year that end up sitting in the racks 12 months later while they apparently sell off job lots of unordered items to internet stores at seemingly discounted prices.

fitzrik and krlpuretone like this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

RSD served it's purpose initially and is no longer useful or relevant. Record companies would be better off spreading special limited releases, removing all the hype and queuing. Something I am not prepared to do in the internet age. With another big promotion on 'Black Friday' it is not needed. Must be a nightmare for stores who I'm sure would prefer higher sales spread over the year rather than customers spending themselves out on one day (now 2 incl Black Friday). Most of the specials look like gimmicks to me.

Nostaljack, krlpuretone and murphywmm like this.
  15. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Agreed.

But RSD "invented records" and don't give a toss what anyone thinks/says...they are far removed from the reality of modern retail. which is buy today, sell today or go out of business tomorrow.

16. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

"…my only friend, the end."

17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I've enjoyed the clever responses, very funny.

It seems this program is aimed at keeping record sales in the brick and mortar stores,
    and is more of an effort against Internet sales. I think that's still a major challenge for
    independent music sellers, as online continues to grow.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  18. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

If people get paid on Friday and have no money left to spend on records four days later, they have much bigger problems than when records are released. Regardless, making record stores more RSD-like every Tuesday is a great way to make me avoid record stores every Tuesday.

And of course, all those new releases that will come out on Fridays? will just be put on display three days early as they are now since nobody abides by the legislated release dates anyhow. Every time I used to call my record store on a Tuesday asking if they had X or Y new item, they'd say, "Oh yeah, we've had that since last Thursday, and now we're sold out."

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  19. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

The Hold Steady's Heaven is Whenever. It was released a few years ago with the handscreened cover and on clear vinyl. This year it was issued again on colored vinyl.

20. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

And married record collectors don't have 'date nights.'

AlienRendel likes this.
  21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I started a thread last year wondering whether the music biz would develop a strategy to integrate vinyl into its marketing for its artists' Albums. The competition should not be internecine warfare between Album formats such as LPs, CDs and Album Downloads. It should be the ALBUM vs the STREAM. The Stream is here to stay. What is more in doubt is whether the Album is here to stay.

I am not going to quibble about whether any particular tactic is wise or going to work as long as there is a commitment to market Albums. With the commitment there will be a way found.

22. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Correct. Expensive Record Scam Day junk will be released a different day than cheap, standard junk.

23. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

But, even brick & mortars sell online. Leftover RSD product (when available) always shows up a few days later on their sites.

So, the question is, without "an event", it's just another release day. Why would labels (especially indies) want to put all of their potential sales in a smaller bucket every week?

24. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

In Houston, it is for me too - overpriced, questionable quality and nothing I want.

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.
  25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

To have something fight against Amazon. If the music business wants to support the independent stores
    (Bricks or online) they have to offer something different in terms of product. I see this idea as something
    that is entirely designed to funnel sales to independent stores for the health of the retailers who are
    in a battle to compete with the huge corporations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.