Do you stream your music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grohlfan, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Or accessing a national park via pay because you can't take the park home with you.

2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

while I know what you mean, this is a poor comparison since movie theaters (usually) provide a higher quality version than one has watching at home.

jeatleboe and Lownote30 like this.
  3. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

As Neil Young explains physical format, "it's nothing more than a fashion statement" :)

4. Om

Hey it's true, a cellular device does not bring the best out of your headphones. Of coarse antennas are just part of the problem.

5. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

That may be true for some two channel material. Multi-channel not so much.

6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I have not looked in a few years so it may have changed since then. I would be willing to set up a free account I guess.

7. nbakid2000

That's not what he said. He said vinyl sourced from digital files is a fashion statement.

Lownote30 likes this.
  8. I'd say it's well worth any music fan's time to set up an account. It's a good way to "try before you buy" with full albums, discover new acts via the various playlists, or just stream in the background when you're working. Plus, the interface is user-friendly, the range of what's available is remarkably broad, and the SQ is pretty reasonable.

Paradiddle likes this.
  9. Om

which is mostly what we have today

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  10. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

st
    Yes, the false dichotomy mentioned above. Which has appeared in every streaming conversation I've ever seen on this forum.

I love streaming, and I'll tell you why. I'm in the car several hours a day and stream on Beats Music. It's not as good as MOG used to be, but it will do I suppose. I spend about three hours each day listening to music I have never heard, or only recently discovered. I'll use their "SENTENCE" feature to play jazz, or bluegrass, or classic country or whatever, and when I come across something I REALLY enjoy, I save it to a playlist I created for just such a purpose.

If I want to hear something I already own, I can do that too obviously.

Streaming is great in the office, at parties (I'm known as the music guy in my various social circles, a distinction I'm sure I share with anyone likely to be posting on this forum) or during cookouts or softball games etc...

At home, I play almost nothing but vinyl unless something has just come out and I want to hear it before buying.

I would never give up my vinyl and CD collection. Heck, I still have half my cassettes. But streaming is a gift to music lovers.

11. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

Now that my twins are 4.5 I have ZERO time for focused vinyl or CD listening at home and very little disposable income to spend on physical media, so Spotify has become my primary source for keeping up with new releases. It's also great for listening to classical or ambient at work, and for streaming to my Squeezebox for general listening by the whole family. Honestly, it's perfect for that because I don't have to go out and buy or download Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Disney soundtracks, etc. because I can stream it all for the kids.

Dudley Morris and walrus like this.
  12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I can stream 5.1 movies & TV shows from Netflix through my Roku or PS3. No reason this couldn't be done for multichannel music. Someone just has to actually care enough to offer it. If this was ever offered as part of a premium tier for a streaming site, I'd be all over it.

13. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Yes, that's much better - thanks. I'm not a mind reader, so I can only go by what you initially wrote there at first.

14. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Not as an alternative to owning physical media, no. And that's at the crux of what's being discussed.

15. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I started to read the article, but couldn't get past the multiple F-bombs in every paragraph. What is he, 12?

16. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I rarely if ever stream, if by streaming you mean streaming services, like Pandora, Spotify, etc. No, I don't mean YouTube.
    Almost always it's physical media, ripped to FLAC, converted to MP3 and stored on a 64GB MicroSD card in my phone.

17. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

Can we all agree to not use the word "fondle" when discussing physical media, I am doubled over in laughter from reading people use that word in this thread! :D

ibanez_ax likes this.
  18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

How about 'caress'?

4stringking73 likes this.
  19. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

The question was, "Do you stream your music?", not "Have you abandoned buying music on physical media in favor of streaming?" or something like that. If the latter question was asked, I'm pretty sure most people would answer negatively, myself included.

It was the categorical uncompromising nature of your response that was just a tiny bit surprising to me, that's all.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    FrixFrixFrix and nbakid2000 like this.
  20. nbakid2000

That's not at all what's being discussed.

subzro and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  21. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

For streaming, probably, but not for downloads*. In that case, multi-channel is absolutely an option. There are a few multi-channel downloads available from several online-stores. I bought one from qobuz (5.1 24/96 Flac) and wish many more of these were around. At the momnent it's only a few and mostly classical.

*I'm eagerly waiting for someone to point out to me that technically streaming is downloading.

22. StephenDedalus

StephenDedalus Forum Resident

Somehow managed to accidentally purchase Tidal as well now...got an email about getting the Hifi for %30 off for three months, so went to investigate...guess I clicked one too far. Well it's £13 and not that bad considered I now have Tidal and Spotify for less than £20. I'll cancel again after the three months though.

EricF likes this.
  23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Indeed. I hate the word "F-bomb" but the language was very coarse and unpleasant.

24. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

How about fondly caressing?

Cuz that is how I make contact and handle my precious LPs...:love::D

25. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

I don't stream except at gym sometimes. But maybe I should. Seems like a good way to discover new music. I'm afraid I'm turning into that grumpy old man who curses all new music. Btw, love all the creative avatars people use. Very clever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.