Why McCartney 2 is such a great musical adventure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moontrekker

Moontrekker Active Member

That's not a good dance track either.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Sorry, this isn't an Elton John thread.

Frank and Zeki like this.
  3. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

There's a lot less synthesizer on the album than you'd think, given how much people go on about it.

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Oops!

supermd likes this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I think it s the mixture of electronic instruments, traditional instruments recorded differently, speed up voices and traditional songwritinf that makes this album. It s not really a synth-album considering all the other instruments. Macca-plays here. Some great guitar and bass, piano or whatever, in the book to the deluxeedition one for instance can see how Paul put the drums in the toilet to get the right sound on the Skiffle/ rockn roll track Nobody knows.
    In fact the album is full of details like that

She is anyway, theMess and supermd like this.
  6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Actually, it has. That is a fact, not an opinion. Even Mark Ronson played it in his sets, and as other forum members have said, it appeared on many mid-2000's mixtapes, and DJ sets in clubs in England and France.

You may not like it, or think that it is a good dance song, but others disagree, and just because you say that 'it really hasn't', doesn't mean that you are correct. There was even an article in a British newspaper mentioning the popular reaction it got in clubs, with the people in the clubs shocked to find out that it was a McCartney song.

DmitriKaramazov, supermd and Bemagnus like this.
  7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I have never said that anyone is dim if they don't like the album?

I stick to my point; how on Earth does utenteanonimo64 know that the positive 2011 reviews must have been written by rose tinted fans? Why can some people not accept that Paul's solo career is popular in some circles?

supermd and Bemagnus like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I wonder what price that drum would get at an auction? ;)

9. Arnold Grove

^^^And would it be more valuable if it was disinfected, or if it was left "as is"? ;)

Zeki, Johnny Reb, DLeet and 2 others like this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but that does not mean that you can change history and deny that the song became popular in certain dance clubs over the last 10 years, because that is what happened, whether you like the song or not.

Don't confuse your opinion with facts.

Johnny Reb and Bemagnus like this.
  11. Bemagnus

I bought it for 6 dollars. It s a bit smelly but the dogs like it:)

Zeki, theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

You know that would be an amazing bargain for $6.

Bemagnus and theMess like this.
  13. Moontrekker

Moontrekker Active Member

You don't dance, I take it. Or go to clubs.

14. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

In my world, McCartney 2 is a hodge-podge of synth doodles and unexceptional throwaways, with a couple of really fine tracks (Coming Up and One of These Days.) As such, it sits in the middle ground of his solo output quality-wise, is quite typical of much of his solo and certainly isn't a "great musical adventure".
    I love it to bits though. ;)

15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

He would have had the right idea if he'd taken out the drum and inserted the master tape.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I didn't say you had, and my second paragraph pretty much assumes that you felt the opposite.

theMess likes this.
  17. Bemagnus

That s not the point. The point and fact is that Temporary secretary for some reason was played in clubs by name-DJ-s. Ben has made those facts clear . Who dance or visits clubs has nothing to do with those facts. It s the truth .

theMess likes this.
  18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

How dare you question me, and insinuate that I am wrong, simply because I pointed out that it is a fact that Temporary Secretary has developed a cult following in clubs over the last decade?

How would you know if I dance or not?

You are entitled to your opinions, but I will not let you lie or try to change history simply because you do not like a song.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Bemagnus likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Forget the drum: how much would the toilet get at an auction? ;)

Flat transfer!

Arnold Grove, theMess and Yovra like this.
  20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I get what you are saying, I just wanted to make it clear that I am not attacking anyone for disliking the album, I was simply pointing out that it is unlikely that 20 and 30 something music critics writing for indie music sites were not likely to all have rose tinted glasses when they reviewed McCartney 2 positively.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

When I first listened to this album 10 years ago, I thought it was mega crap, with "Coming Up" being the only good song. Bear in mind, this was when I was first getting into music. My dad had every McCartney LP from Red Rose Speedway to McCartney II. I had a few Beatles albums and was looking for a Beatles sound out of this album. I had Paul's Wingspan 2-CD set, and I loved the live "Coming Up," so, with both that and "This is a Beatle!" in my mind, I put this LP on. Yikes! What a load of $%!&. I stayed far, far away from it for years. Then, for reasons I don't remember, I gave it another shot 5 years later in 2010. I was in love with the album. I listened to it constantly, and, luckily for me, it was right before the Archive release of it was planned, so you can imagine how over the moon I was. The Archive release's bonus tracks has sealed this as one of my favorite McCartney albums. I must admit, though, that I have become a bit burned out on it from all the listening I did in 2011 after it was reissued. Still, I enjoy it. :righton:

She is anyway, Bemagnus and theMess like this.
  22. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

It's a vast conspiracy. McCartney infiltrated music magazines and web sites across the planet, placing his operatives in strategic positions in advance of the reissue of McCartney II, purely so they could write good-to-great reviews of the album and launch it's reappraisal. You heard it here first. :cool:

nicole21290, theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  23. Bemagnus

I think there has been a great
    same story as mine- exept it took me 20 plus years to get this album . The arhiwe-deluxeedition might be my favourire in the whole reissue program
    One outstanding box set. The "Nile Rodgers"version of Blue sway is worth the price alone

supermd and theMess like this.
  24. Bemagnus

I guess the 3cd 1dvd deluxe-edition binds together most lose ends. Among the songs that did not make the album Secret friend and Check my Machine are among my favourites. Not to mention the late-eighties Nile Rodgers version of Blue Sway. One extremely good number.
    Tracks like mr H Atom and All your Horseriders are stoned fun but nothing I miss out from the original album
    Then of course Wonderful Chrismastime - a song that has earned Paul more money than most thing s he has done.
    So this was a weird and both commercially and creativily fruitful transitional period for Paul.

supermd likes this.
  25. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

I can understand how some people despise this album completely, but I for one am not of that opinion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.