Graham Parker & The Rumour New Album/Mystery Glue/ May 18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member Thread Starter

I think that GP went back and signed a second batch after the first hundred he signed.

2. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

It's probably just a printed-on signature anyhow.

3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I agree - God love the guy for finally mellowing but a Graham Parker who doesn't sound anxious, pissed off, annoyed or even a little snotty just doesn't do it for me. The way he sang on those classic 80's records like Sparks, it was like his life depended on it. Oh well. I do wish him the best...

4. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

At least "Railroad Spikes" has a neat little chord progression, but it is fairly ordinary. "Bad Things" is a shuffle that Graham can write in his sleep. I've bought most of Parker's catalog (including many of the official bootlegs), but I might not run out and get this new one.

Jerryb likes this.
  5. Jerryb

The signiture is real. Not printed-on.

6. Jerryb

I look at MG as just another GP solo album with the Rumour backing. Not like the GP&Rumour albums of the 70's and 80's. I have to admit that after Three Chords Good I thought that MG would be more aggressive.

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Is the compression level set to stun on the cd? I've been holding off buying it until the lp comes out, so I can decide which version to get. Does the lp come with a download code?

8. Jerryb

MG sounds light years better than Three Chords Good.

9. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yes, but 320k mp3 rather than FLAC.

10. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I was wondering about compression as well - 3 Chords Good did nothing for me sonically or song-wise. I didn't buy it so maybe I didn't give it enough chance but it sounded pretty pedestrian. This one, from the clips I've heard, sounds more interesting melodically.

But I haven't been too drawn in to much of Graham's work past, say, the mid 90s or so.

Jerryb likes this.
  11. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Going to see Graham and the Boys in a few weeks here in NY and I hope these songs come across better in a live setting. These last two LP's have really not done it for me and I like ALL of Graham's output.

Jerryb likes this.
  12. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

imo, these qualities are all there in his work until Three Chords Good. A couple of the 2000s albums strained after material at times, but on the whole it's an extraordinarily compelling body of work. Something just seems to have vanished since Imaginary Television. I recall not being favorably impressed toward the new songs he was playing even before the Rumour came back into the picture; then with their getting involved, and the silly Judd Apatow movie, that set of songs was protracted over a very long time. I hope for his sake those moves are paying off career-wise, though it doesn't necessarily look like it from here.

I don't know if it's just as well that the reunion happened when it did (because otherwise these albums would have no interest), or if it's a shame that it's these batches of songs that are getting the additional attention that the reunion has brought (because new people or those tuning back in may not be inspired to check out the solo albums on the basis of this material).

manicpopthrill and Jerryb like this.
  13. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Hey guys and girls - do yourself a favour and listen to the new album at least five times through before you judge it. It is a real grower, believe me!

In a better world, Wall of Grace should be the summer hit of 2015.

alylemoss likes this.
  14. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

I thought Graham stole This is 40! It got mixed reviews (I have to confess, it rang true for me and I loved it), but the music in it was really tremendous. Apatow has great taste in music (see also: Loudon Wainwright III). I'm grateful that he's willing to shine a light on some underrated musical artists like Graham in his films.

Davido and cc-- like this.
  15. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Anyone heard if this reunion is going to continue for a third album? Are they still touring behind Mystery Glue?

melstapler likes this.
  16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Agreed, as was 3 Chords Good. Neither is an old-style Rumour album, neither really rocks that much. Both are first-rate songs with a great band.

Seems he's now using the Rumour for textured Band-type arrangements. When he wants rock & roll he'll call in the Figgs.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  17. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I really liked GP in the movie too. I was also surprised to see Ian McLagan at the end with Ryan Adams. He even gets a nice closeup.

alylemoss likes this.
  18. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I am sorry to have to break bad news, but the answers are Yes, I have heard, No they are unlikely to record a third reunion album together, and No, they are no longer touring.

A month ago, on October 17th, Graham Parker and the Rumour played what was announced as their last ever performance together, at the Forum in Kentish Town, London. In an emotional farewell, GP and the band performed old classics 'Thunder and Rain', 'Howlin' Wind', 'Back To Schooldays', 'Protection', 'Local Girls', and many others, including a Rumour arrangement of 'Get Started, Start A Fire' from the 80's post-Rumour 'Mona Lisa's Sister' album.

Newer songs included ''Long Emotional Ride', 'Railroad Spikes', 'Wall of Grace', and an extended 'Pub Crawl' with a spoken interlude taking a tour back in time and round the venues of mid-70's pub rock, with GP pointing roughly in the direction of the Hope and Anchor and other nearby historic venues, giving props to Elvis Costello and others who could have been enjoyed over a pint 40 years ago.

At the show's end, the original lineup was joined by the surviving members of the Rumour Horns, the crack horn section that played and toured with the band in their heyday, appearing on the live 'The Parkerilla' album and moonlighting on the Clash's 'London Calling' album and the hit 'Walking On Sunshine' by Katrina and the Waves. GP led the Rumour plus horns for the first time in 33 years through a show-closing set of 'White Honey', 'Fool's Gold', and 'Heat Treatment'.

For the encores, bassist Andrew Bodnar and keyboardist Bob Andrews augmented GP and acoustic guitar on 'You Can't Be Too Strong', before the rest of the Rumour and the Horns returned to play 'Don't Ask Me Questions', 'Hold Back The Night', and the evening's finale, 'Soul Shoes'. I would say they were rousing versions, but this would not do the band justice.

Several times in the encores a clearly emotional GP repeated 'our work is done'.

The possibility of members of the Rumour recording and touring with GP, as happened in the 80's, is very likely - Brinsley Schwarz is accompanying him for an opening act slot they are performing together in London later this year.

GP and the Rumour's second parting of the ways went almost entirely unnoticed. Here is the only other review I can find:

http://louderthanwar.com/graham-parker-and-the-rumour-london-the-forum-live-review/

19. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Excellent summation! It's pretty sad that, even in the UK, nobody seems to have noticed.

melstapler likes this.
  20. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

I respect him a lot for carving his own path for the last 2o plus years. But his writing stance has gone from angry to crabby and there is a difference.

21. Jerryb

Songs Of No Consequence from 2005 sounded to me closer to what a GP and the Rumour album should sound like. I like TCG and MG but to me both albums sounded like a GP solo album with the Rumour backing as opposed to an all out GP and the Rumour album.

22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Despite the sad news of the conclusion of reunion dates with The Rumour, it's my sincere hope that Graham will at least continue to tour with Brinsley Schwarz in some capacity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.