Setting VTF question...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tim185, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you were to set VTF at a height that was ever so slightly higher than record height, would your VTF actually be higher or lower than measured?

2. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Actual VTF will be lower than measured but with most arms the difference will be negligible providing you're only a few mm high. Unipivots present the worse case scenario, though, and you can be into an over read with them in the .3 gram range if you're 3-5 mm high which is pretty significant.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/in_balance_e.html

3. tim185

Thanks Blake. Im a few mm high I reckon, so Im going to revisit it and get it spot on. My OCD can then look onto the next "issue".

4. blakep

blakep Senior Member

You're probably close to dead on with your Rega arm unless you have changed the counterweight on it to a low slung counterweight.

Set it by ear using the scale for best sound quality and then simply repeat if you have to reset. That's the beauty of the scale.

5. tim185

Yep I have a GT underslung c/w. Hoes that affect things in this case?

6. blakep

blakep Senior Member

You're probably reading .06 to .1 gram over what your actual VTF is with a Canrong guage (which I believe you have). So not a huge amount.

If I were you and you wanted to set VTF at around 2 then I would probably set at around 2.1 using the scale, listen and then dial back in (up or down) .025 increments while listening to some of your favourite recordings to establish exactly where you want to be.

I find there's a definite VTF "sweet spot". Go lower and things tend to get a little screechy and strident; go higher and things start to get a bit ponderous and muddy.

7. tim185

Project digital gauge, but same difference probably :)
    Thanks for that.
    Im at 1.65g for the bronze right now, going to up it to 1.7g as it tends to need less antiskate then and I think I prefer the sound, though my audible memory is terrible between adjustments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.