Generally Unknown Bands of the 1980's That Played METAL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theanalogkidsignals, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

even his new solo album metal cowboy is pretty good

2. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

I've heard that buzz word used a lot. I think I've even heard Lars use it. Yeesh. Jennifer Lawrence is hot, not a mastering.[/QUOTE]

3. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

The vinyl’s not terrible.

4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Here's a pic of Ron and I from this past weekend. I will check that disc out. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Synthfreek likes this.
  5. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident Thread Starter

[/QUOTE]
    Aren't you a little old for her? If Lars is using it, I'm sure as hell gonna stop. Him and his band of d**ks don't deserve to share a vocabulary with anyone.
    Nice shirt, man. Ron's starting to look faintly Nick Cagish these days. Let me know what you think of Streets. It's the whole original lineup minus Kenny Chaisson.

Redhat220 and Juggsnelson like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Nice shirt, man. Ron's starting to look faintly Nick Cagish these days. Let me know what you think of Streets. It's the whole original lineup minus Kenny Chaisson.[/QUOTE]
    That shot is from the opening of the coin operated gaming hall of fame outside of Pittsburgh which is basically the greatest retro-arcade you could possibly imagine so the shirt was very fitting! You pay one price and get to play any and all of the over 400 machines all day. You haven't lived until you have played Ron Keel in Pac Man! I will definitely check that Lp out. I have liked everything I have heard Keel do so it sounds right up my alley.

7. theanalogkidsignals

Who won at Pac-Man? The MP3's are free if you have amazon prime.

8. Juggsnelson

All I'm gonna say is Ron is pretty good......I don't have prime but I will order myself a copy. Been listening to lots of Keel since last weekend so now I have to have it!

9. theanalogkidsignals

It's a bit loud, but there have definitely been worse. It's really good. One of my favorite Keel albums actually.
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/86955
    I just noticed every Keel album DR submission on that site has been by me except the first Final Frontier.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How can you tell who uploaded? That's always been a beef of mine is that there is no indication of the uploader...hell, one doesn't even have to log in or anything to upload.

11. theanalogkidsignals

There is no way for sure. Mine all have the same directory, I'm sure you could identify that way too.

Synthfreek likes this.
  12. Redhat220

Just a bit of trivia:

After Priest's worst record, "Turdhole," they went into the studio to record the followup. When the album was completed, Halford suggested calling it "Gag It Down". The rest of the band outvoted him, except Dave Holland. And so a compromise was reached, and the record was released as "Ram It Down." It 1990 with Holland gone, they completed their next album. Again there was a dispute over the title. Halford had strongly suggested the title "Manfiller," but yet again the band outvoted him. Again a compromise was reached, and the album was released under the title "Painkiller." Apparently these album title disputes went as far back as 1978, when Halford insisted the followup to Sin After Sin be titled "Pained Ass." Fortunately for all us Priest fans, we know that album today as Stained Class, and it remains one of the best titles in the Judas Priest catalog.[/QUOTE]

13. floyd

floyd Senior Member

How about this one, a variation on the OP.

Not an unknown band by any means but generally unknown for playing Heavy Metal.

Jethro Tull

Hey they won the Grammy for "Best Hard Rock Metal Performance" in 1989.

OK, I know that was not what you were looking for.

Redhat220 likes this.
  14. theanalogkidsignals

Gag it down! Gag it down! We're sorry Turdhole made you frown. Gag it down! Gag it down! We don't know what we were thinking about. GAG IT DOWWWWWNNNN!!!!!!

15. Redhat220

Ha Ha, just a bit of satire there. Back in the band days we would sit around the practice place and come up with goofy stuff like this all the time, usually directed at the dumb hairbands of the day. But even bands we liked, if there was something we thought was funny about them, We'd tear them down with this kinda stuff.

16. theanalogkidsignals

When we played "Living After Midnight" we always sang "f@#$in' to the dawn" very incoherently to see if anyone noticed. We changed lyrics like that all the time. If you want to, PM me because it got a lot more lewd when it came to the hair bands of the day. We came up with some funny stuff that's probably still written down somewhere. We did The Beatles S/T and Sgt. Pepper's dirty in their entirety. Our version of Good Morning, Good Morning was my favorite.

Redhat220 likes this.
  17. Redhat220

All very cool. I still play in a bunch of cover bands as a stand in bassist, and Living After Midnight seems like it's on just about every set list. As easy of a song as it is on bass, I see very few bass players include the little chromatic run during the chorus. Still can't stand playing it. It was one of the first songs I learned on bass, 9th grade, 1980.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. theanalogkidsignals

I'll give you a preview. Our Beatles title for Good Morning, Good Morning was "Good Morning, I'm Not Finished".

Redhat220 likes this.
  19. StaffInfection

StaffInfection Forum Resident

20. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Homo Picnic, Wargasm

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

We played that for my 9th grade talent show in 1979 or 1980 (I'm not sure). I couldn't stand to play it straight on bass so I threw in a bunch of octave riffs and so forth. I kind of changed the way the song was supposed to sound. People liked it, but we were still pretty terrible overall.

Redhat220 likes this.
  22. theanalogkidsignals

You guys couldn't have been any worse than Dave "The Rape" Holland. They replaced him with a drum machine after his first three or four albums. I know Turbo and Ram are machines, Defenders is possible. Sounds like it to me. Anybody know if they used a machine on Defenders. Some of those softer snare hits during "The Sentinel" sound REALLY fake.

23. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

This thread isn't about the USA.

24. Redhat220

From what I understand Defenders is the only one with a drum machine. I could be wrong on that, I'm going from memory.

25. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

I thought Ram It Down had the drum machine, Turbo was drum triggers, and Defenders of the Faith was just thoroughly processed. What's the real deal here?

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.