U2 Innocence and Experience Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squealy, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

davers and wavethatflag like this.
  2. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Pretty good article... Disagree on his put down of the new record, but most of it is pretty spot-on

3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The only obvious bit in that article I disagree with is his opinion that U2 is a better live act than Springsteen. Having seen both acts every time they tour since '81, that has never been the case.

Otherwise, the writer nails everything that is great and not-so-great about U2 and especially the failings of the last album.

4. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

That's what I disagreed with also, but otherwise, I thought it was a very insightful article.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Refreshing to read an objective view of the strengths and weaknesses of this polarizing band.

I truly hope they do make one more album for the long term fans, without compromise or catering to the masses.

6. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

So I got to see ""40" last night which was a rarity.

But that was nothing compared to tonight.
    The Ocean
    11 o'clock
    Elevation
    Stuck in a moment
    Sunday Bloody Sunder (rocking version)

This is what they should be doing for the second night, like they first said they would.
    Switch it up a bit. They were Awesome. Makes you remember how great a band they were.
    Let's hope they take some of this energy and spontanaty and use it in the arena shows.
    It would make this there best tour in Decades.
    Looking forward to Saturday & Sunday nights shows.

supersquonk likes this.
  7. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Great video of 40 from Wednesday's Forum show.

8. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Do Edge and Adam usually switch up instruments for 40? I've seen them do the song once before, but don't remember them switching up instruments...

9. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Always. The studio version has Edge on bass (not sure Adam is on that recording at all), so he always plays it live too.

See them at Red Rocks, back when the song was new!

10. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Haha...Bono invited a brilliant impersonator on stage. Check it out at 2:15 >>>

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  11. amoergosum

This is the website of their tribute band:
    http://www.hollywoodu2.com/

"Hollywood U2 is the only U2 Tribute to be endorsed by Mark Cuban as seen on the AXS.tv show “The World’s Greatest Tribute Bands” (hosted by Katie Daryl)

They are the only band to-date of the TV shows 5 seasons to be selected to perform twice. They performed a 90min Live TV Broadcast on Season 1 (2013) and were invited back by popular demand to perform another 90min Live TV Broadcast for Season 5 (2015)."

---

"How does it get any better than this?
    Hollywood U2’s front man Joe Hier aka Hollywood Bono, was spotted by Bono (yes the man himself) on May 26, 2015 opening night of U2’s Innocence and Experience Tour at The Forum in Los Angeles.

Bono said “I see me, I saw myself, where is he? Dude, get up here I have always wanted to meet you”. Joe dressed as the 10 year younger Vertigo tour Bono is then let up on stage.

Bono looks at him and says “You really are me” but the events that unfold are even more incredible, as Bono decides half way through “The Sweetest Thing” to duet with Joe, when he hears Joe sing, he mouths “WOW” yes Bono said "WOW” and hands the mic completely to Hollywood Bono.

He then walks to his piano with confidence, and lets Joe Hier sing with U2, the crowd roars and the faces of U2 are all smiles. It was an amazing moment captured throughout social media, news stations & newspapers from the UK to the USA, “Rolling Stone”, “New York Daily News” & more."

I mean...seriously...that tribute band sounds awesome >>>

12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Hollywood U2 is a great tribute band! I saw them perform at a park about a ten minute walk from my house and they completely packed the place. It was cool seeing how good the singer sounds and seeing the sea of people so into what they were doing. Also it is really neat to see the two Bonos meet lol that is a very cool moment

heatherly likes this.
  13. amoergosum

"KROQ: Kevin and Bean interview U2 after their performance on May 28th, 2015 at the ROXY Theater on Sunset Blvd.
    This a clip from that interview of Bono and U2 talking about Joe Hier of Hollywood U2, Bono had brought the Hollywood U2 front-man up on stage on their opening night at The Forum in L.A. Bono and Bono Impersonator Joe Hier performed a duet of The Sweetest Thing. Check it out."

Link:

https://soundcloud.com/hollywoodu2/bono-u2-talk-about-hollywood-u2

shepherdfan and LarsO like this.
  14. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I caught my second show of the LA stand on Sunday (night 4 at The Forum). It wasn't necessarily better than the first night, just slightly different, and not just because of the few different songs between the two nights. Although I was a bit bummed I was getting Electric Co both shows I was seeing this leg of the tour (that's why I chose odd/even shows!) l was otherwise cool with the few song changes between night 1 and night 4.

Performance-wise, the band was a bit more "on" the first show than LA#4 although Bono's voice was a bit stronger this show. The death of their tour manager last week seems to have a strong effect on the band and Bono in particular. A little tense the first half of the show but things did seem to change for the better once Bono pulled a girl onstage during Mysterious Ways during the second half of the show.

I thought the crowd was much more into the show most of the night vs LA#1, although people started leaving in droves even before Streets was done. I pretty much moved wherever I wanted on the floor. Spent the 1st set on The Edge's side, moved to the E Stage 'til Bullet, moved to Adam's side for the next few songs and moved back over near my original spot for AIWIY and the rest of the show.

Generally, I thought both shows I caught this tour have been good but not great. "Great" was the opening month's worth of shows on the Vertigo tour in '05 or the 5 show run they did in LA for the first leg of the 1987 Joshua Tree tour (the 5th and final show of that stand is my all-time favorite U2 show). The set just needs some real work (rearranging and a few different songs) to flow better and the horrible version of SBS they're playing needs to go.

Here's some video I shot of several songs through the show, forgive the shaky blur-o-cam....

More here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-XgVA9f7K4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvlHaQ9RWLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJTl4bbss2c

davers likes this.
  15. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Thanks for the info here... I am going tonight, but I am not jazzed by the setlists I'm seeing.
    I went to those shows at the Sports Arena in 87 as well - phenomenal.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

OK, so I actually went to the show in Denver last night. Based on a few comments I read on this thread, I opted for seats on the side risers between the main stage and the smaller "e" stage. The seats were discounted resale seats, so I ended up getting in for $200 plus change, and I was very close to the "e" stage. I'm not a rabid fan, so don't want to line up for a good spot on the floor, and felt that the big screen that separates the stages was pretty important - I would recommend those side risers.

Anyway, I thought it was a great show. But, I'm not looking for U2 to change mankind or be the"greatest rock band in the world", just wanted to hear tracks from the (underrated in my view) new album played live, and hear the Edge shredding it from start to finish. Bono spoke from time to time and I thought his words were heartfelt not pompous. For older U2 fans, I would recommend attending the show at least once, and for the casual fan, there is enough going on between the multiple stages, the lighting and special effects, and that huge video board, that it's worthwhile.

Here's my video of "Desire" (with a snippet of the Beatles for Forum members) where they invited a fan onstage who shot them on Periscope, I think.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I went to both Denver shows - had a lower level reserved seat night one at around "5 o'clock" (with the main stage being 12) and GA night two.

Getting a good spot in GA was very easy. My friend and I showed up at 7:45 and were about five feet from the "catwalk", maybe 30 feet from the main stage. Great vantage point and no fuss/muss at all.

Very civilized crowd - no pushing/shoving on the floor where I was. I have GA for Boston and NYC, too - not optimistic those crowds will be so restrained! :D

18. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

I've also got a GA for one night and a lower that I think is right about 5 o'clock at MSG. How was your reserved seat experience?

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I've done GA for about a dozen U2 arena shows over the years, and except for Omaha, where a huge portion of the floor crowd was obnoxious and sh!tfaced by the time they came on, every other experience has been pretty polite and friendly. I imagine probably even moreso now that the audience is 10 years older since the last time. The crowds on the field during 360 were fine, but much more cramped just to the sheer amount of people.

20. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I went to 3 of the LA show. Had GA for 2 shows and half court loge seats first row for (1) show.
    Without a doubt I would recommend the seats if you can get something low and center. Being on the floor is ok if you want to see them close up when they are around the area you are, but this show is like Zootv and you want to be able to take it all in.
    In the GA you really can't. You will either be next to the stages or center ramp, or in the back of the floor looking up to see the screen. From loge seats you get it all.
    Only reason GA was good was for the price, but to really get what the band is offering get good reserved seats, unfortunately those are the most expensive ones.

21. Oatsdad

It was fine. I was a little woozy - the altitude in Denver got to me more than I expected, I guess! - but it was a good vantage point. I was farther away from the main stage than I would've liked but it was a good view, and when bandmembers were on the B-stage, they were close.

GA was way better but the reserved seat was fine...

22. Oatsdad

This was my first arena GA experience. I saw skillions of Elevation and Vertigo shows but avoided GA until 360 - and given the size of the venue, that was a different beast. I loved 360 GA - I could show up at 7PM and waltz right into the "inner circle"!

I hope you're right and NYC/Boston GA will be as comfortable as Denver!

23. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Not sure if everyone is aware that U2 now also has its own Instagram account.
    http://instagram.com/u2/

At times it has quite nice (backstage) snapshots of life on the road. A bit different than the token live concert shots.

And also, tonight's the first concert of their four-night stand in Montreal. I'm curious to see if the shows will evolve further or if it mirrors the LA shows.

24. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Thanks. I didn't know about that.

25. pearle

pearle Forum Resident

I caught the first two shows in Montreal. Both were great but the second night was truly fantastic. The crowd was really into it and my seat was much better than night 1. They debuted Lucifer's Hands, which was a nice surprise.

It was my 7th U2 concert and is tied with 360 Moncton as my favorite U2 show. If they do a second North American leg (hopefully after the SoE album drops) I'll be sure to check them out again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.