Paul McCartney's "Out There" Tour (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I was on the floor and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the Birmingham audience. A lot of them stood up for nearly the whole concert and several people (not only on the floor, but in all sections) were singing and dancing. Paul was quite happy as well and made many funny remarks.

Merchandise was rather expensive. Program: £20, t-shirts £25-£35. There was a nice poster for £5, though.

I also need to thank Customer Service, as they upgraded my ticket to the floor section.

[​IMG]

Zeki, theMess and heatherly like this.
  2. 5th-beatle

There is a good selection of merchandise in the UK, but at high prices. I believe the same items will be less expensive at the upcoming EU concerts. Here are just a few:

[​IMG]

3. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Definitely in for a programme here. The programmes from 2003 (Back In The World) and 2011 (On The Run) were huge, thick affairs with plenty of interviews, worthwhile articles and photographs in.

Did you notice if they had any kids T shirts on the stands?

4. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

Judging by how well it went down in Birmingham I would have though it almost certain to be included.

coffeetime likes this.
  5. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Excellent! I've not told him it might be part of the setlist just in case, but that'll do for him what Temporary Secretary will do for me.

mrjinks and She is anyway like this.
  6. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Paul is probably going to play Penny Lane tonight

7. edmund_k

edmund_k occasionally worth reading

My boy will be 4 in September and he held up well. We were lucky as our 3 tickets were not together and we were advised to go to Customer Services. The lady there kindly gave us more expensive seats next to the sound mixing deck. Our previous seats were at the back of the stadium.

8. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

If he does play it watch out for the great synchronised animation!

theMess likes this.
  9. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

In Liverpool now. Fantastic poster on the side of the car park opposite the arena

[​IMG]

foxylady and theMess like this.
  10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

He was, yes!

11. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Pray he doesn't play that terrible dirge "In Liverpool". He unleashed that on us when I saw him at Anfield in 2008. I still shudder thinking about it!

Yankee8156 and Frank like this.
  12. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Just goes to show you - I thought that was great myself! One of the highlights of the Anfield show for me.

I've never asked for/expected anything from the man, but here's to mega-hoping "Temporary Secretary" is still in the set by the time Paul hits Columbia, SC! Only a swap with "Appreciate" or "Struggle" would make me happier (yeah, fat chance there!) and I can actually think about retiring from 26 years of shows with the biggest smile on my face ever.

Have fun in the 'Pool tonight, folks! Sure wish I was there - his show at the Echo Arena from a Xmastime couple of years ago had one of the best set lists I've ever seen.

13. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Are you sarcastic? I guess so, it's not everyday you get Paul to perform a song that rare in front of such a crowd!

14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

...maybe in the soundcheck.

15. Calico

Calico Senior Member

C'mon, for me it was the biggest surprise of the day (apart from opening with "Hippy Hippy Shake").
    Talk about performing some deep cuts, as "In Liverpool" hasn't even been released on any McCartney single or album (its only appearance is on the "Liverpool Oratorio" DVD bonus feature "Ghosts From The Past"). It was apparently considered for "Off The Ground", but didn't go any further than the demo stage... and you know what ? It's a song I love !

Yankee8156, Tord, Yorick and 3 others like this.
  16. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

@EchoArena: Did anyone guess 8 days a week for the first tune? @PaulMcCartney reckons we're gonna have a party tonight #YouBetcha #OutThere

Shocking news!

vitorbastos123 and Yorick like this.
  17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I was there at Anfield that night and I don't remember that at all!

18. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Damned good night at the Echo. Paul's suggestion that he could tell the popularity of the next song (Temporary Secretary) by the lack of mobile phone lights in the audience was prescient; an appreciable fraction upped and went to the gents/ladies. I enjoyed the heck out of it though! Hopefully it'll stay in the set for long enough that those who want to hear it can.

I was surprised at how well Hope For The Future works live. Like Temp. Sec. it was an opportunity for a break for many, but hearing Paul & Marty O'Donnell's (Halo & Destiny composer) collaboration live was lovely.

Son got to enjoy Altogether Now and loved the pyro for Live & Let Die. Mrs & I teared up over Maybe I'm Amazed as it was out first dance. And the home crowd were suitably warm and cheery.

Also got the hearts to hold up as per 2003, hearts on one side of the card and Welcome Home Paul on the other. Everyone held them up as Paul came on stage who seemed suitably touched. Will get a photo taken of them in the morning.

supermd, heatherly, carolk and 9 others like this.
  19. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

No. I think it's a terrible song and the fact he hasn't released a recorded version or played it much again (if at all) speaks volumes. I can see his reason for writing and playing such a song in his home town but I was shocked at how bad it was. The lyrics are ham fisted and contrived. Given that, he should've stuck it on New as it would've matched up with that other dirge Early Days perfectly.

Other than In Liverpool, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2008 Liverpool Sounds concert. There was something special in seeing him play in Liverpool. On the other hand, maybe that "something special" thing was just seeing him at all, since he won't tour here in Australia!

20. 5th-beatle

Sorry, I left yesterday after writing my last message and could not answer yours. I don't think there were kids' t-shirts.
    Fantastic show, but the wedding proposal was ridiculous.

21. 5th-beatle

That black t-shirt was a big success, as it sold out. There are better-looking ones, but It's a good souvenir of the concert. After it was over they only had it in S and XL. I bought S (I wear M or L), even though it's too tight on me.
    [​IMG]

coffeetime likes this.
  22. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

There were kids T shirts in the stands inside, nothing at the merch trailer outside though. Did buy the programme which is just as thick and high quality as the ones I'd bought on previous tours. 3D glasses and full page photos in the middle too.

Agreed on the wedding proposal guy. You could see Paul getting irked that he was trying to laugh and joke with Paul instead of getting on with the proposal itself. Paul's comment to the poor girl of 'I'd get him to ask again in the morning when he's not p!ssed...' (i.e. drunk) said it all really. In the stands at the back everyone went from being charmed at the prospect of an on stage proposal to grumblings of 'get him off!'. I really did feel for the poor girl though, having this special moment she was all geared to say Yes to turned into an embarrassing farce.

[​IMG]

Better link for the poster outside on the side of the venue car park.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the thousands of signs held up as Paul arrived on stage.

23. 5th-beatle

I enjoyed the fact that it was a small arena... 11,000 seats, I believe? Everyone had a good view of the stage.
    By the way, there will be a Quarrymen concert tonight, for those staying in town for an extra day.

24. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Here's last night's Liverpool setlist (it was really great overall, but I agree with 5th-beatle that the proposal got a bit silly!):

Eight Days a Week 

Save Us 

Got to Get You into My Life
    Listen to What the Man Said
    Temporary Secretary 

Let Me Roll It
    Paperback Writer
    My Valentine 

Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five 

The Long and Winding Road 

Maybe I'm Amazed 

I'm Looking Through You 

We Can Work It Out 

Another Day 

Hope for the Future 

And I Love Her 

Blackbird 

Here Today 

New 

Queenie Eye 

Lady Madonna 

All Together Now 

Lovely Rita 

Eleanor Rigby 

Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! 

Something 

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da 

Band on the Run 

Back in the U.S.S.R. 

Let It Be 

Live and Let Die
    Hey Jude 

Encore:
    Another Girl 

Hi, Hi, Hi 

Can't Buy Me Love
    Encore 2:
    Yesterday 

Helter Skelter
    Golden Slumbers
    Carry That Weight
    The End

A phenomenal body of work performed by a phenomenal performer in his seventies! Also, I never liked Hope for the Future before I heard it live! I'm a new convert to this song...

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That's really great. Sounds wonderful....

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.