Stones Playing the 'Belly Up' Tavern in Solana beach tonight!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Beave, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Mick Jagger attended The London School of Economics, before launching the startup known as The Rolling Stones. So far, so good. For 50 years...

I'm guessing his business acumen might be a little more highly developed than some of the other posters in this thread :)

It's two million bucks fellows. For one nights work.

Tree of Life and signothetimes53 like this.
  2. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

Let's do some math here. Five Stones for $2 million is only $400,000 per Stone. And they're singing 15 songs. So that's a measly $26,667 per Stone per song. You wouldn't catch me going all the way to San Diego to play in some dive bar for chump change like that. If that's not selling out, I don't know what is.
    :shrug:

3. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I am all for capitalism. It makes the world go round. I just am amazed that these guys would still be grabbing dollars at every turn. I can't even imagine their own net worth. The last bunch of tours were amazing money makers. Wouldn't you start to get a little choosy ? Just a little bit. If touring gets you off, I am all for it. I would still go to a Stones show. Just something about this strikes me as unnecessary.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ok, so where is the LA area club show tonight? I need to start at least trying to get in.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  5. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Capitalism has its limits and obvious downsides. This is a perfect example, even if it hardly affects you and me at the end of the day. But the same could be said for the Mayweather vs Pacquiao showcase debacle. What a rip off. Pfft.

At least the Stones more than likely delivered - fwiw!

Fullbug likes this.
  6. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Madison sq Garden holds 18,000 concertgoers. According to Forbes, the Stones are averaging $634 per ticket on this tour.

That means the gross for the show is over $11M.

Granted, the Stones have a huge overhead for a show like this, but do you think they aren't getting at least $3-$5M out of this show net?

As another poster said I think they love playing small shows, and ole Mick LOVES all the PR and legend building that comes from playing a gig or two like this.

First, I am jealouse as hell that they get to live this way. Having played in bands there is nothing like the feedback from an audience up close, but they also get to play huge events and make tons of money.

As much as I love the Stones, can you imagine being at a small gig in 2015 with John, Paul, George and Ringo playing their sets from the era 6 month pre Beatlemania days?

Lennon said that this time frame and in the later Liverpool days is when they were at their absolute best as a ferocious rock n roll band. Hell I would take any era when they fundamentally play rock tunes that could be covered live with additional session players.

7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

They never were that way. That was your perception. In reality, they were always a business. Mick even went to business school.

Once you understand that everything in the world is a business, you'll be able to see things in a more clear light.

Education, organized religion, bands/art, technology, Disney World...it's all a business.

Fullbug and funhouse like this.
  8. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

A business, or a racket?

chickendinna and nbakid2000 like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Oh, yes, I know it was/is a business. But there was an artistic component to the music. And at least in the 1960s-early 1970s, the music came FIRST. I'm not against the Stones making as much $$$ as they can get. But the music should hold priority. That seems to not be the case for a long time now. And for me, that is unfortunate.

zelox likes this.
  10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

If I win the Powerball this weekend, I'll rent The Fox in Atlanta and keep the Stones over for an extra night. Ya'll are invited.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, I think that art is something different from business. The Stones have done both well.

Olompali likes this.
  12. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

I think your per ticket average is grossly overstated. I would guess it's closer to $250/300 ticket. Not all venues hold 18K or are setup to seat 18K. Let's say the gross is 3.75m. They are not walking away with half, not by a long shot. I would guess 30% MAX. So if they got close to 300K each for the night that would be something.

13. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I think that you might be a little too young to know that things weren't always like they are now.

zelox likes this.
  14. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

If you remember Johnny Carson's Carnac bit, Solana Beach sounds like one of his punchlines.
    (Say it like Desi Arnaz Sr.)

BeatlesBop likes this.
  15. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Thanks Rockos, not my estimate, it's Forbes. Argue with them.

I use MSG because the Stones are still a big arena band which is in the 15,000 to 20,000 Audience range. Even At your $300 a ticket estimate it's still well over $6m plus merchandizing. If Peuter Grant got Zeppelin better than 30% back in the day, Sir Mick is getting at least that, and more these days.

The points in my post (which are why the Stones would be motivated to do a private gig) aren't diminished by your faulty math and analysis. Try again or try someplace else.

16. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

You arrive there only after you get off at the Slauson cutoff, and cut off your slauson. :D

Bobbo likes this.
  17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

A flock of wild geese?
    True love?
    Human imagination?
    Teardrops?

But perhaps it is absolute and everything in the world is a business.
    That is why we live in dread.

JL6161 and zelox like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Belly Up Tavern

19. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

:laughup:

20. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Been there before the $2,000,000 cover charge. If I had known the break I was getting, I would have ordered Chivas instead of Coors. :doh:

Rockos and John Fell like this.
  21. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Honestly, I don't care what The Rolling Stones earn for a performance or where they perform. My only concern is whether or not these shows are professionally recorded and officially released in the future.

Carserguev, Rockos and Fullbug like this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The client may have had strong influence on the set list. I'm sure Mick asked in advance what were five or ten choice picks for songs.

I would have chosen a couple real vintage ones. Something like "You Better Move On" and When Blue Turns to Grey". Would sound good in a club. Those two would put the Stones back to the Brian Jones era. And Keith and Ronnie might enjoy playing them for a change, and force Mick to sing like a little schoolboy once more. LOL

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ok, here is my club set list. It's got something for everyone I think.

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash
    2. You Better Move On
    3. When Blue Turns to Grey
    4. Play With Fire
    5. Dandlion
    6. I'm Free
    7. Monkey Man
    8. Live With Me
    9. Honky Tonk Woman
    10. Winter
    11. Coming Down Again (with Keith vocals)
    12. Waiting on a Friend
    13. Star Star
    14. Brown Sugar

Encore:
    15. Midnight Rambler (with long CYHMK instumental break)
    16. Exile on Main St. Blues :20 bit (if needed)
    17. C'Sucker Blues :30 bit (if needed)
    18. Rocks Off

melstapler and John Fell like this.
  24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Hope the big paycheck can fuel the production of a dvd. Like a one man kickstarter.

melstapler and quicksrt like this.
  25. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

As long as the Stones have been around, I'm positively sure this isn't the first private gig they have played. I see nothing wrong with doing them and I'm sure there was "under the table" money thrown in after all was said and done. I've often thought about hiring one of my fav bands for a night but I don't think they would sing a set list of my choosing. And for that reason, I'm out.

On a side note I read the list that some other poster posted on the prices musicians, bands, actors, etc., charge for an appearance. I lol at some and others like Pink Floyd were pretty low. You could offer them 10 million and I don't think that would persuade them to play together again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.