Cassette better than CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lashing, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

back in the day I rarely if ever bought a prerecorded Cassette..I always made needle-drops of my albums on high quality cassettes...I enjoyed the tape more than the album I made them from...

mindblanking, Carlox, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I think RCA Music Club invented brickwalling! I had an RCA Club mastered cassette of Billy Idol-Rebel Yell...It was mastered at a steady +5! LOL!

3. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

If you recorded it from vinyl on a good chrome or metal cassette on a good deck, such as a Nakamichi, it probably would sound better than a CD.

Kermit27, nitsuj and Carlox like this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Heartbreakers' "L.A.M.F."!

5. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Talk about your blanket statements. None of this is true in my case. None of it.

Ed

6. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I had 100s of cassettes in the 80s until CDs came out. If you think a cassette sounds better than CD I have to strongly disagree with the original poster.

Evan L, JimC and Nostaljack like this.
  7. mrob0000

mrob0000 Forum Resident

CDs have yet to deliver the kind of sound quality that I was producing in my car from cassette tapes in the 80s. I was recording them from a Tandberg 3014 and a B&O 9000 off of my high dollar vinyl rig and playing those tapes on a Concord car deck. Analog all the way... and how sweet it was. Properly alligned cassette tapes could easily deliver flat frequency response from 10 Hz to 20,000 Hz. It was a pain to get the proper azimuth between devices, but the rewards were great!

8. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

K7... out of curiosity still have a couple of them, Joshua Tree and Back In Black.

The CD is better.

9. Lashing

Lashing Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Did you bother to read? Nakamichi RX505 ... serviced. Look it up. Not everyone using the cheap crap you love. Once again many replies are from people who never actually experienced the format on anything other than the worst bargain/crap gear. Which is a shame but please don't pretend to know anything until you actually gain real life experience with proper kit.

mikedifr0923, Cronverc and nitsuj like this.
  10. Lashing

Lashing Well-Known Member Thread Starter

eerrrr yes ... you just dont have any experience with good tape gear.

11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

What in the hell am I reading? I can see certain situations where its possible a specific cassette could sound so good that it rivals maybe even surpasses a CD that is absolutely HORRIBLE, but all cassettes better than CD? Come on.

12. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

If you fill out your profile, we can see what tape gear and CD player you are using.

13. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

[​IMG]

JimC likes this.
  14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

You forget the smiley...I know you have to be joking

Stryking likes this.
  15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I have some that aren't.

16. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I would love to hear some more cassette success stories. :cheers:

17. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

I can't agree with the premise of this discussion, but on the other hand I think that all the disrespect paid to cassettes is equally equine feces......

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  18. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Funny, I remember the noise reduction used on pre-recorded cassettes. Garbage medium to boot.

Lost In The Flood and sunspot42 like this.
  19. Wheel Me Out

Wheel Me Out Well-Known Member

20. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I had about a thousand back in the 80s. I can understand the nostalgia about making a mix tape. The Sq was bad, japanese deck or not. The art was equally insignificant.
    A mix tape for a new girl. I think I found a topic.

21. MultiMan

MultiMan Forum Resident

I've still got the Pioneer CT-939mkII I bought new, and it's a very sweet sounding device still. Especially with Sony Metal-ES which are most of the tapes I still got (in the 100s I think). However, when considering that those tapes cost something like $10-$15 for a C-90, it's not very good sound quality/price ratio. The 939 wasn't very cheap either, but got the same dual capstan as the elite (ct-91), and sounded virtually the same.
    I actually had the CT-91 at first, but I needed the recording controls with both bias and level to get Dolby C to work as intended, without artifacts, something the ct-91 lacked. It also has Dolby HX professional which made a huge difference in sound quality when it was introduced (wasn't it a B&O invention originally?).

I used to have a very expensive sony cassette player in the car, with Infinity kappa 16x9 speakers, and that combination sounded extraordinarily good with the metal-ES.

So, yes, cassettes can sound very good if you pay enough, just like vinyl, but for most people digital is superior in every way.

Cronverc and GuildX700 like this.
  22. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Music copied from high-quality vinyl and recorded on a premium metal cassette would definitely sound better than CD.

23. MultiMan

MultiMan Forum Resident

It's what I got and I disagree. Actually, this thread is pretty hilarious. My brother used to have a Technics omega-loop open reel (the extremely expensive one, can't remember the name), and with that I agree it can sound better than a CD, as I witnessed first hand. No cassette I've ever heard, including the most expensive Nakamichi, sound better than CD, and if it does it's just the source that was superior, not anything inherent to the format. Different, yes, better, no.

kyouki, sunspot42 and Izozeles like this.
  24. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

That's wonderful for you but it never came flimsier than cassette tape. While housed in a plastic shell, the tape itself is incredibly thin
    What CD player do you use that sounds worse than your Nak? I ask out of curiosity, not snark.

Ed

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

For the most part, I did. I don't think I've ever had more than a few dozen cassettes at any time. Just had to toss the soundtrack to Caddyshack, when side two started dragging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.