Help finding the right new speakers for me

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some of you know that since I upgraded my pre/pro about a year ago, I have been saving for new speakers. I am looking for a set of speakers up to around the $10k mark to go with my McIntosh c2500/MC452 combo as the next step in my system. My room is currently what I would call "medium" size, but I am planning on moving and having a more proper dedicated listening room in the near future.

On any given night, I am usually enjoying something in the classic rock, blues or blues rock genres. The Beatles, Beatles solo works, lots and lots of Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler solo efforts, Springsteen, Rolling Stones, U2, Albert King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Butterfield Blues Band, AC/DC, ...hopefully you get the drift. I would say my listening variety is about 85 or 90% classic rock, blues rock, blues and the "newer" efforts from classic acts. The other 10-15% is the very little newer music I enjoy (I sometimes enjoy some Coldplay, Black Keys,) and very very rarely some jazz (I'm just learning).

I have received various recommendations from a few dealers that I have bought things from in the past and generally trust.

PMC twenty 26
    Monitor Audio PL200
    B&W 803 Diamond
    Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Focal Electra 1038BE
    Martin Logan Montis
    Magnapan 3.7i

Unfortunately, I have not HEARD any of these speakers and there is nowhere close I can hear them. It will take some searching and driving just to get to a dealer that would have something like that. My local dealer sells PMC and Magnapan but does not really have any serious PMC on hand (he is a small one man show) and only has the Magnapan 1.7's in the store.

He has previously talked about the PMC twenty 26 very highly, but now seems to be really selling the Magnapan 3.7i. He said given the choice, despite the PMC being 2x the cost, the Magnapan 3.7i is better sounding. I know nothing about planar speakers and the idea of them kind of freaks me out. I have read up a bit on them. Some people say they are great for imaging, clarity and soundstage but lack low end and deep bass. This concerns me. Others say the 3.7i has enough bass

I guess I just really don't know where to start. This is a huge purchase for me and not something I can just go out and afford on a whim, so I want to make sure I get the right speakers for my taste, my gear, etc. I just am having a hard time narrowing things down or knowing where to start.

It is really frustrating to not be able to just go hear these things without going to an audio show or something.

So, what are your thoughts? A few questions:

1) Do you think Magnapans or even Martin Logans would be a good fit for my music tastes and gear or should I just consider box speakers?

2) If you have up to $10k to spend give or take and you have my gear and listening tastes, give me your short list of 1 to 3 speakers to check out

As a bonus, if anybody knows somewhere remotely close to West Michigan to hear anything worth while let me know.

2. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Joey - there are a ton of contenders in that price range.....hard to narrow down....are you looking for new or demos? I was in the EXACT same position as you were a few years ago with my speaker search....based on your listening preferences, sounds like you and I listen to the same type of music almost spot on. I narrowed down my search when I was looking to a mint, but used demo pair from a authorized dealer...that way I could get bigger bang for the buck and still be taken care of if I had any problems (BTW, I have a C2300 pre and an MC 402 amplifier so we're on the same page). After months of combing websites and Audiogon, I narrowed down my search to Aerial Acoustics 9's (I think), Revel Salons, Sonus Faber Ellipsas, and anything affordable from Avalon Acoustics. Turns out I found my mint pair of Avalons as dealer demos. You're not too far away from the dealer.....it was Quintessence Audio just north of Chicago that I purchased them from...(Eidolon Visions..........paid just slightly over your price)..had to have them delivered down here in Atlanta which wasn't cheap! Maybe they're close enough for you for a trip? The Avalons really sound nice with the McIntosh gear....of course hearing them is always an issue since it's hard to find Avalons hooked up,and demonstrable. Anyway, gotta run but I'll give you some more impressions tomorrow.

- Buck

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  3. Joey_Corleone

Thanks man! This brings up another point - I would love to hear from more people in this thread that have similar music tastes and preferably that have McIntosh or similar behind your speakers. Tell me about your setups!

4. Joey_Corleone

I actually like the sound of my Cantons. Anybody have a thought on a pair of their Vento 890.2 DC? Hard to find pricing, but maybe even something in their reference line? I have enjoyed my GLE 490.2 pair but the rest of my system is outgrowing them.

5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Check out Wayback Audio at the Corner Record Store in Grandville. I bought a bunch of stuff from Wayback (Focal's, Rogue, ProJect) and the guy who owns Corner is a friend of mine. They're local and it is a hell of a record store. And Wayback has KEF's and Focal's. And something else probably.

6. Joey_Corleone

Looks like the Canton Reference 5.2 is right in my range and at least a hell of a nice looking speaker. I have already established that I enjoy the Canton sound. Could it be as simple as a massive upgrade up the Canton line?

7. It is certainly a safe route to take and something I've done myself with very pleasant results. However, with you having provided a list of possible upgrade contenders can I assume that you are looking for something different?

8. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

The Magnepan 3.7's would sound great especially with the wattage you would be able to give them. I'd still suggest pairing them with
    a sub though to get that "slam", especially with the type of music you usually listen to.

head_unit likes this.
  9. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Let me throw out one more option for you to consider.....

Alta Audio has just released their new Lelanto floor stander.

http://alta-audio.com/collection/lelantos/

I received my demo units a little over a week ago and am absolutely floored with how good these sound. Amazing integration of the ribbon tweeter, and really nice bottom end. And they will work fantastically in your medium/large medium sized rooms. Comes in a bit under your $10k budget as well. They are also extremely cool to look at in person (curved sides and front panel).

10. Joey_Corleone

Not really. Seriously, that list means almost nothing. It is just a list of "great speakers around or under $10k" that 2 dealers helped me make up. I have only heard anything close to something on the list. The B&W Diamond 800 (way out of my price range and I didn't like them anyways), and the PMC twenty 24 (my friend Scott has a pair). The rest are just here say

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  11. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Don't rule out the Harbeth line. I was listening to some varied music over a pair of SHL5+ speakers (Pink Floyd to Anthrax) and they were able to do a bang up job on all of it. I really do feel they will be my last pair of speakers I get for my main listening area.

Regarding your list, they are all over the place for sound. I have Martin Logans at home and love their sound , but it's different than some of the box speakers you mention on here. Really comes down to personal preference as all you listed are great speakers, just a different flavor of each.

SteelyTom likes this.
  12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd probably build in a trip to go listen to your top picks into your budget. At least if you've never heard the brand - hearing PMC 24's give you at least an approximation of the 26's, for instance.

13. james

james Summon The Queen

At that much money, it's probably worth getting on a plane to hear some stuff.

Since you asked, I'd be looking at Devore Orangutans, KEF Reference and Vienna Acoustics

utahusker likes this.
  14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I love the Devores, but I'm not sure it would be the speaker I paired with a 450 watt solid state amp.

oregonalex and Brian Gupton like this.
  15. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Why not try Overture Audio in Ann Arbor? Several speaker lines to choose from and they have virtually every model from each manufacturer on hand to audition.

16. Joey_Corleone

I may have to make an impromptu trip this weekend and check it out

sennj likes this.
  17. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

Paragon in Ann Arbor is the McIntosh dealer and it has some quite pricey stuff for sale, way out of my league. Might want to check it out while you're here. http://www.paragonsns.com/

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  18. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It is hard to state a case against buying B&W 803 Diamond. I have only heard them connected to very expensive rigs but they are just jaw droppingly awesome. It is really hard to make a bad choice at the price point you are working with. In that range, I have found Thiel to be pretty outstanding as well.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    SteelyTom likes this.
  20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Joey,

You mentioned the Magnepan 3.7i

As it's cheaper and the only apparent weakness is the bass......why not look at adding a good sub (or 2)

It's a great way to get the combined benefits of great mids and top end driven by your tubes......PLUS deeper and cleaner solid state bass!!

Just my 2c

Cheers

21. james

james Summon The Queen

true. but picking the amp first and speakers second is backwards to me.

misterdecibel likes this.
  22. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

The speakers are easily the most important part of any system.

Upinsmoke likes this.
  23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

There's also the fact he has McIntosh gear, which has always sounded terrific with B&W speakers. I've never seen a McIntosh dealer that didn't sell B&W.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I agree, but I think he's upgrading from existing speakers vs. planning a new system. That's the situation we usually find ourselves in, but lately I've decided its best to upgrade entire systems vs. individual components (sources excluded), and hopefully not do it very often.

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is exactly what I was thinking as well. Call me unoriginal but a Mac system with B&W Diamond is pretty much my goal in life. That and total consciousness on my deathbed, gunga galunga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.