New Sammy Hagar Live album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by madrushian, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

as a huge Sammy fan, this record is brilliant. does this guy ever age, his voice sounds amazing way better than dave in his prime. as for vic's performance, he's no eddie van halen but he does the songs justice. the zeppelin songs sound great, makes me wonder what a reunited zeppelin with sam on vocals would be like. supposedly his name came up when as a possibility when Robert pulled out of it.

chad

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I ordered it 3 days before it was released

4stringking73 likes this.
  3. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

He also says "1985" before Why Can't This Be Love. And 1993 for Poundcake. In an interview once he has referred to Balance as 1993. He really sucks at dates, apparently.

ARK, 4stringking73 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. madrushian

madrushian Active Member Thread Starter

I got mine for 11.88. I pre ordered mine. I Think The pre order was the best price. Though I do like the rawness of the Album. This is how all "Live" albums should be produced and not manipulated in the studio.

4stringking73 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I love it. Gave it a few spins this week. IMO worth it for the version of When the Levee Breaks alone, great version. Poundcake is the only real stinker on this but I've always hated that song. The other Van Hagar tracks are all great, am impressed by Vic Johnson, Sammy's voice sounds fine, nice Van Halenish backup vocals from Michael Anthony, Bonham sounds good too.

I recently bought the acoustic Hagar/Johnson thing & liked that too. I can't recall if the acoustic version of Dreams on this was done on that too or not, will have to give that one another spin.

Matthew Tate and 4stringking73 like this.
  7. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I haven't really listened to any Hagar/Van Hagar in over 20 years, but checked this album out based on the comments here and that acoustic Dreams.
    Really enjoyed listening to it- he sure can still bring it and the band rocks! Great that him and Mikey are still playing together...

8. madrushian

I would suggest going to see him if you get the chance. Unlike Van Halen he puts on a great show

Rocketdog likes this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That is lame. I think that was also the case with "Cosmic Universal Fasion" from a few years back, but when I tried to go view the liner notes, the web address referenced in the digipak didn't exist anymore.

Looking at that set - I wish he'd drop things like Dreams, Right Now and When It's Love. It'd be much cooler if he went deeper into the VH catalog with songs like Sucker In A 3 Piece or Aftershock.

Tree of Life likes this.
  10. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

Solid album. Much more cohesive than his live one from 2003. The Circle is coming to my town: the day I go on vacation! :(

11. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

Ooooh, ouch this new cd...ROCKS!!! Sammy's vocal chords show no sign of SLOWING DOWN.

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I agree. But I did just view/download the digital booklet at redrocker.com/circlebooklet, and the odd thing is that it's 7 pages, and 6 of those are simply the 6 panels of the digipak. Only one "extra" page in the booklet (page 6), which is a group picture, and lists the crew and the individual thanks from each band member.

So the booklet as such isn't even really a booklet. Just one extra page from what we already have.

13. Matthew Tate

finally listened to it. great to hear sammy playing guitar again. i thought they did the LZ tunes justice

14. madrushian

Im glad somebody still like to play LZ tunes at a concert (Cough... Robert Plant)

15. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

The only thing that bugs me on this release is when Sammy yells out the "P" word in the middle of Finish What Ya Started. The first time I was spinning this was in my car, driving somewhere with my kids in the car. Wasn't expecting that, so I was a little embarrassed that they got to hear it.

Otherwise, it's a rockin' set!

16. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

That's Sammy for you. Subtle as a fart in a space suit.

ElevatorSkyMovie and Panama Jack like this.
  17. MikeVielhaber

Yeah, although While I've seen him live twice and third time with Van Halen,mice never seen him perform that song, but I had heard the Live Right Here Right Now album many times back in the day and he did the same thing on that so as I was listening I was kind of wondering if he was still doing that.

18. Matthew Tate

the only thing is the 2 cd's are about 90 minutes. why not do more songs?
    red
    i've done everything for you
    three lock box
    cabo wabo
    top of the word
    eagles fly
    give to live
    mas tequila
    rounaround
    i can't stop loving you
    anything recorded after marching to mars?

overall whats there is great, 2 cd's for about the price of 1. just wish it was more like 120 minutes of music

Tree of Life and slipkid like this.
  19. ufosammy55

ufosammy55 New Member

It is a fun, interesting album but as soon as Sammy hit the ground with this new project I was surprised and disappointed with the inclusion of Vic Johnson. He has 2 other star members included and yet sticks with a relative unknown in Johnson. Might as well have been Brian for that matter whether he plays or not. Also , with the exuded forgetfulness of the VH tunes he may be trying to downplay their importance as a sort of shot at Edward. I highly doubt his memory is fading .

20. ufosammy55

ufosammy55 New Member

I agree totally Partyslammer Vic Johnson doesn't belong up there with these veterans of rock music. He's more of a beach bum looking for a place to happen.

21. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

In fairness, just about everyone, including the greats, end up sounding like a beach bum looking for a place to happen when trying to imitate Eddie.

Still, I get your point, and wish they would have gotten Nuno or someone like that to round out the quality of the musicianship of the other guys. That said, I think Vic does okay and holds his own the best he can.

22. MikeVielhaber

That would be pretty elaborate because he's ALWAYS getting the dates wrong, even in his own book.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I don't think Sammy needs a guitarist that can totally ape EVH - in fact, I think Hagar would sound best with someone who just has a solid hard rock style. The Chickenfoot thing with Satriani really didn't click with me because I don't think a widdly-diddly shredder like Joe is the best fit for the way Sammy writes and sings (same as Steve Vai wasn't a great fit w/Roth despite their albums together being good). I was initially excited when I heard Sammy was working with The Cult's Billy Duffy but it really didn't pan out to much more than Duffy playing on a song or two on the "Cosmic Universal Fashion" album.

24. Matthew Tate

i'm just glad sammy picks up a guitar again. why does he try and downplay that hes a really good guitar player?

Todd W. and 4stringking73 like this.
  25. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying this album. My go to "Party Album" this summer!

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.