Hey Moe, Hey Dad - Three Stooges Documentary

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Yeah, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I bought a Three Stooges box set at Best Buy the other day. It was just released. A nine hour documentary on three DVDs narrated by Moe Howard's son. It's called 'Hey Moe, Hey Dad' and covers their entire career. It also comes with some neat memorabilia. I paid around $20. I'm four hours in and I'm really enjoying it. Anybody else have this?

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    chilinvilin likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. Yeah

It's the missing link. Thank you, Myke.

4. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Thanks.
    I have to look for that.

5. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I ordered this from a 3rd party on Amazon and it arrived Friday afternoon. Friday evening I sat down to watch the first part, and by Sat afternoon was through 7 of them. Great pictures, home movies, etc. It is in some ways like the Stooges Anthology!

6. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Only 4 replies!I guess us Stooge's fans are a dying breed.

Thanks for posting.I would have surely missed this.This has Fathers Day present written all over it.

sloaches and Benno123 like this.
  7. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I bought it the other day at Best Buy for $17.99. Watched a couple parts so far. Pretty good so far, although a familiar retelling of the story. No great revelations so far, but I'm just part way through. Nice family view point however with family archives being used. The openings of the episodes are repetitive and a bit long to have to watch each time, and their mish-mash use of wrong proportion aspect ratio of the clips they use is frustrating, however I haven't seen that in the main body of the film. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

8. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

The only frustrating thing I have seen with this release is that a press release stated it was available on the shop knuckleheads website and would be available in Target stores. I bought mine through a 3rd party on Amazon based on that fact that I could not order thru Target or that none of the stores around here have had it, or that the Stooges store wanted an outrageous amount of money for shipping. Now I see Best Buy has it, which is great for everyone who has bought it there, but so much for being a Target exclusive. Maybe Apple writes the press releases for the Stooges, too?

9. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I forgot to add that the stuff packaged with the discs is very nice. Especially the reproduction of a late 50's Stooges fan club membership certificate, with Stooge stamps and replica of the fan club envelope. Nice stuff for under 20 bucks!

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's available at Target currently for $19.99.
    http://www.target.com/p/the-three-s...=Hey+Moe,+Hey+Dad+-+Three+Stooges+Documentary

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  11. Yeah

Great to hear Leonard Maltin's comments throughout, I wore out my copy of his 'Comedy Teams' paperback when I watched the Stooges every afternoon on channel 38 in Boston.
    My favorite piece of memorabilia included in the box is the script reproduction.

Vidiot and Benno123 like this.
  12. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Now it is allowing me to place an order online but this time last week that was not an option. As far as in store availability it is still showing as unavailable at Target store within distance of where I live.

That wasn't the point of my post, anyway. The point was Comedy 3 stated it was available as a Target exclusive but I see that is no loner the case. I am not sure if they changed the press release or not to reflect that because originally the press release said available at Target on May 5th and then they changed it to just plain May. If it is available at Best Buy great, I just hope people do not do what I did and wait longer based on what Comedy 3 had originally stated.

13. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

"Uncivil Warriors" is one of my favorite shorts so to have the chance to sit down and watch the film along with the script will be fun.

14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I saddened to see that none of my area Targets have this.

15. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

From a Three Stooges bio I read some time back: Between takes, the Stooges dreaded performing many of the stunts, and would have to psyche each other up to get back on the set. Understandable (i.e., the collapsing triple bunk bed).

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  16. Michael

point is I was just trying to help...

17. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Never rely on press releases. That is lesson #2 around here, right after never assume that the remaster is going to be an improvement.....

18. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I just went back and reread my post and I read it like I was coming off as a jerk. I didn't mean to come across that way and I phrased everything wrong. I know you were trying to help and I do appreciate that. I just wanted to make sure I said that where everyone could read that.

19. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Awesome, I had no idea. Will have to get this but my wife bought the entire collection of Columbia shorts on DVD for me in April and we are only on disc 2... Will take some time to see them all and the bonus features. I also recently read Moe's autobiography (again, read it for the first time back in 1992 when I saw it in the library). This is definitely something I need to add to my Stooge collection! Have always been a Shemp fan!

[​IMG]

905 likes this.
  20. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

My wife went to Target last night for other things, and was told they had sold out their copies of this (I'm guessing
    they had a small number), and that the website was the best bet. So, it's now winging its way to me in the mail.

21. Michael

yes...I threw in another DVD I was looking for to get free shipping.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  22. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

A little off-topic. I am looking for the title of the episode where Curley has a large bottle of pills labeled " Tranquilizers" (I think), looks at them and says, "Ah, calm down pills". I use that line and think it is very funny. Thx.

23. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I know it was mentioned in The Three Stooges Meet Hercules and it was said by Curley-Joe. Not sure if it was in one of the original shorts.

24. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Thanks. I will check that out.

25. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up on this, didn't even know it existed until reading this thread this morning. Ended up picking it up at Target at lunch time. Nice looking set, the memorabilia is cool. Now I must find 9 hours to watch it Looking forward to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.