Do you secretly believe that the best album is still "out there"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boaz, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Deep in your heart, do you believe that the "best album ever" might still be out there for you to find?

Maybe some band or artist that you never had a chance to listen to... Esoteric or not, A "lost Gem" that after 3000 CDs or Lps will give you the shivers agian...

My last such near experience was with the Preety Things - "parachute" album. I though to my self, how could I have missed that? It made me so happy, and encourage me to keep the hunt...

2. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Yes, but until I find it I've no idea what it will be! Real Catch-22 situation here :D
    It's been Dark Side of the Moon for 40 years!

FJFP, Hattipper and Tree of Life like this.
  3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Not the best album ever, but there are certainly good ones out there.

Folknik and Tom in Houston like this.
  4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I'm tempted to answer "no", but if I went back just one year ago I would be missing out on some absolute classics yet to be discovered.

5. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Of course. So many more albums out there that I haven't listened to than those I have.

Rodant Kapoor and Zeki like this.
  6. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

I like albums that are a bit "out there".

Mr. H and Ash76 like this.
  7. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

my best album comes from 1990 (toy matinee) and there have been several close behinds since then so i would have to think that there is a chance that it would be something in the future. sort of like the feeling fifty and over guys feel like when they go to a trendy club looking for a date. they know it is probably hopeless but they keep trying none-the-less.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The best album ever? No.

9. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Yes, probably. As in "my favourite" than the best ever. Doesn't mean it's something that hasn't been recorded yet, could be something from years ago I haven't heard that really blows me away.

10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Anything's possible but I don't think my favourite album of all time will ever change.

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes. I'm constantly searching for the 'perfect' album. I'm a broken man because of it!

Fullbug and Mad shadows like this.
  12. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

"The best car, is that I still have to build" (Enzo Ferrari - founder of the Ferrari automobile marque)

Yes, I really think that the best albums are yet to come.

Zeki and Kevin j like this.
  13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Completely possible... in the past couple of years I have discovered great albums that I had missed completely upon their release, among them would be "Sea Change" by Beck and "Kid A" by Radiohead. Subsequently, I went on to buy both artists complete catalogues and discovered a pile of great music. These are just two recent examples of older music I missed (and it's not like either of these albums/artists were operating on the fringe of the business).

Given that, I can only imagine the amount of great stuff I have missed thus far and who knows what is yet to be written and released?

Sure is fun looking for the next big thing though.... ;)

Naughty Chord, Zeki and JimC like this.
  14. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

In theory, it's possible. For example, I've always sort of liked jazz, but haven't listened to a lot of it. It's totally possible that if I fell into a serious jazz phase and really explored all the subgenres and paths fully and just had more knowledge of what jazz was all about, I could find an album (or albums) that I really, really loved. But would I love it more than What's Going On? I don't know.

Guy E and notesofachord like this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The best album is whatever the best album is to you. Stop trying to rank everything, and enjoy your listening experience to the maximum each time you sit down and devote your attention. Make that your best album.

16. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Yes, as long as there are working analog tape machines out there in studio land.

Nielsoe likes this.
  17. frog12

frog12 Forum Resident

One Little Song Gillian Welch

ramdom and highway like this.
  18. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Nope. It's already been made by the Beatles...

I know...but I had to...

I'm really kind of encouraged by the lack of "get off my lawn!" sentiment thus far. Let's hope it continues...

Ed

19. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Yeah, why not. I love the idea of listening to something I haven't heard yet. And I am open to new musical directions and sounds. So... sure. I get floored by something new several times a year.

I'd be disappointed if I wasn't open to maybe, just maybe, hearing the best thing I've ever heard.

20. Django

Django Forum Resident

There are loads of great albums, old & new out there waiting to be discovered.
    If you don't believe that just keep re-buying the old ones.

ramdom likes this.
  21. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I really hope so.

22. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

There is no one best album for me; there are lots and lots of wonderful ones, many still to be discovered.

23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

It probably hasn't been recorded yet. There are kids out there starting to learn their instruments, and possibly starting new genres. Every generation or so seems to have a killer group, but it is a group that is killer to that generation. There are groups that every generation digs, but your grandkid liking the beatles doesn't mean this his/her generation loves the Beatles.

Too many elders of the tribe rip on new music, but if those same elders were youngsters now would they dig the same music they dug as youngsters when those groups were new and fresh?

Chris DeVoe and Gaslight like this.
  24. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

I'd say yeah, of course, the new best album is still out there. And that best album may evolve in your perceptual taste buds in a year or so.

For me, music is the greatest inexhaustible resource there is. For a few bucks, you can take something home on a whim that can make you jaw drop. It doesn't have to be new, it could just be new to you. And you can ignore popular conventional opinions -- if you dig it, that's all that matters.

Case in point: I'm been seriously loving the third LP by the Flying Burrito Brothers (the self-titled one). Bought it at a record fair last fall, having never seen it on vinyl before that day. Considered 'weak' because it's the first post-GramParsons LP, it just holds up as a secret milestone of the first wave of country rock. I honestly don't care what other folks think -- I cracked open a beer when I came from work tonight and I just basked in it.

EDIT: The LP, not the beer. Need to make that clear....

Zeki likes this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There's a very strong possibility that the best album ever hasn't even been made yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.